Gransnet forums

Chat

Podcasts - do you use them?

(17 Posts)
Millbrook Sun 11-Nov-18 18:12:02

I listen to podcasts when I am out walking on my own, or on a long train journey, and I love them.

Do many Gransnetters listen to them? If so, where/how? And do you have any particular favourites? ( Mine are Freakonomics, West Wing Weekly, Fortunately, and Learn French by podcast! )

Would be interested to hear your thoughts?

Delibes Sun 11-Nov-18 18:30:07

I use walking and train rides to catch up on BBC podcasts: In Our Time, Thinking Aloud, From Our Own Correspondent, Infinite Monkey Cage, More or Less, A Good Read, World Book Club and dramas including Home Front. My favourite indie podcast is Philosophy Bites.

I didn't know about West Wing Weekly - thank you. I can watch the Sky reruns again and again and always liked Joshua Malina as Will Bailey. I've subscribed and look forward to catching up on the discussion.

Scribbles Sun 11-Nov-18 18:32:53

I usually listen to The Archers via the podcast every evening after dinner using BBC i-player on a laptop. I occasionally download an LBC programme that I've missed and listen on my tablet, my phone or internet radio.

Millbrook Sun 11-Nov-18 18:40:17

Some of my favourite Radio 4 programmes there Delibes ...
WW Weekly is great - especially the ones where Toby (Richard Schiff) is a guest - he is so charming. Enjoy !

Scribbles - I've not tried LBC podcasts but James O'Brien seems to talk sense on Brexit, so I might give his programme a go via podcast next week.

Delibes Sun 11-Nov-18 18:40:18

That should say Thinking Allowed.

I also like France Culture. My French is far from fluent but find if I can get the gist of a discussion I can follow along and even if I can't, I enjoy the sound of the language.

Another Archers listener.

Delibes Sun 11-Nov-18 19:13:58

Millbrook Richard Schiff as Toby Ziegler was my favourite character in West Wing next to Timothy Busfield as Danny Concannon.

Millbrook Sun 11-Nov-18 19:47:07

Delibes West Wing was such an amazing series - it taught me a lot about American politics! Loved all the characters, but if I had to have a favourite it would probably be CJ.

Try the French podcast - it's great for conversational French, about current topics. The last one I listened to was about Trump, so I learnt some interesting ( and not at all flattering) new vocab!

Delibes Sun 11-Nov-18 21:07:48

Me too Millbrook. Superb dialogue. Part of me wanted WW to contine after "Matt Santos" won the election but I guess it had come full circle. I would like to have seen how "Helen Santos" adapted to her role as First Lady. A very different character to Abi Bartlet!

I have subscribed to Learn French by Podcast. I see the one two down from Trump is Que pense-tu du Brexit? A five letter word starting with M comes to mind. smile

Millbrook Sun 11-Nov-18 21:33:40

grin I couldn't agree more Delibes !! I doubt if even the beautiful French language can make any sense of Brexit!

Delibes Wed 14-Nov-18 10:56:29

Millbrook
I noticed a talk on at the local WI called The True Cost of Fish and Chips and then stumbled over Dan Snow's History Hits podcast which includes an episode The Five Fish That Made Britain with Charles Rangley Wilson. Just one in 300 items to listen to. There's a bit of advertising to tolerate but the series sounds promising.

Izabella Thu 15-Nov-18 09:09:08

Thanks for this thread. It set the grey cells into operation and I have done some research. And YES!! Planet Rock have podcasts. How wonderful is that - so many thanks for the thread Millbrook

GrandyC Thu 15-Nov-18 10:09:26

Browse Radio 4. I love Desert Island Discs, The Archers Omnibus, The Food Programme, Book Club, Woman's hour. Not enough hours in the day to listen to what is on offer!

mabon1 Thu 15-Nov-18 11:25:45

Never listen to them

David1968 Thu 15-Nov-18 12:05:41

Often catch up with the Archers this way. Also DH downloads comedies and plays from Radio 4, for any long journeys in the car. (These really help the travelling time to pass.) He also listens to podcasts (through personal dab radio, plugged into his ears) when doing jobs in home/garden.

Bathsheba Thu 15-Nov-18 12:09:55

Never occurred to me to listen to them!

Greciangirl Thu 15-Nov-18 15:21:03

Me neither

Millbrook Sat 17-Nov-18 09:11:46

Thanks Izabella. Glad you’ve discovered something new! I adore Radio 4, and the best podcasts are like another version of that. Interesting, funny, thought provoking items about things that interest me. Except I get to choose the ‘programming’...(which also means no John Humphries ruining my day!)