Gransnet forums

Chat

Minor Frustration!

(74 Posts)
Witzend Mon 26-Nov-18 18:16:19

With dh, that is. He was going to the post office and asked if there was anything I wanted.
Yes, please - plenty of 2nd class Christmas stamps - for all the UK cards I've already written and will be posting by 1st December.
He's come back with a load of 1st class stamps!

'Why didn't you get 2nd class, as I said ?'
'I thought 1st class would be quicker.'
'Er, I've been writing them early, to post nice and early, so I don't need 1st class stamps! That's why I asked you to get 2nd class!!!!'

I suspect it was the usual thing - just not #*#*ing well listening...

MrsJamJam Mon 26-Nov-18 19:37:58

So now you have a whole year's supply of first class stamps. Hope he paid, not you!

Maggiemaybe Mon 26-Nov-18 20:00:24

Oh dear. Save them, Witzend, even if they last you many months. You can always feel smug when the price increases are announced. tchsmile

Smiley4 Tue 27-Nov-18 06:26:10

Men don’t listen. It’s your fault as you didn’t spell it out clearly enough for him......several times.......then once More.....but even then no guarantees. And they say we nag!haha
But at least you got stamps. Mine could have come back with a date stamp or something,
Good job we love em ?

EllanVannin Tue 27-Nov-18 08:14:14

My dad was like that donkeys years ago. Mum told him to get some balloons for Christmas and he returned with a " dolly-blue " bag to put in the washing. I remember laughing but mum rolled her eyes and said " your dad never listens, he's always wool-gathering ".

Coconut Tue 27-Nov-18 10:08:48

Selective deafness we call it and it starts at a very young age !!

Kim19 Tue 27-Nov-18 10:33:20

Ask him to go back. Not a moment's doubt the PO will exchange. After all, re-sell will be no problem.

anitamp1 Tue 27-Nov-18 10:35:42

They don't listen. Recently at Costa and I fancied something sweet to eat. But nothing chocolate and sickly. So pointed in to the display counter and said I'd have one of those pecan tarts please. I got a table and DH arrived back with a gooey square of chocolate cake. His excuse was that was what I'd pointed at. The pecan tart was next to it, but clearly I didn't point well enough.

Camelotclub Tue 27-Nov-18 10:41:43

Reminds me of that character in the Fast Show (actor who plays Father Brown) going shopping for his wife and coming back with things like a set of spanners and a water melon. Nothing at all from her list!

Margs Tue 27-Nov-18 11:05:49

You made the mistake of thinking such a simple task could not possibly be beyond a man's capabilities. Well, it is.

They need a set of written instructions (in block capitals preferably in crayon) and then need you to take them by their flappy little hand and guide them to the Post Office and then tell them exactly what to say to the counter clerk.

And then bring them home and give them some Ovaltine and a choccy biccy as a reward for being so clever.

Good boy! (You'd have been better off trusting a dog.)

Lilyflower Tue 27-Nov-18 11:15:47

I am always saying to the DH, 'You don't listen to me,' but he doesn't listen to that.

His problem is that I will say something very nicely several times which is ignored and then if I get frustrated or turn the volume up he looks hurt. He ONLY takes notice when I am horrid.

And then, of course, it is me being beastly.

I am very glad I am not alone in this.

Jaycee5 Tue 27-Nov-18 11:35:35

It is annoying when people want to improve your instructions.
I had that at work when I told someone to take some documents to the post office straight away and sent them first class. He came back and said that he had sent them recorded delivery. When I started to remonstrate he just said 'no it's ok' in a weird way. I realised afterwards that he meant that I could forget the extra payment. I had to ring the Client to make sure that he was going to be in to sign for it which he wasn't going to be but said with a bit of irritation that he would stay home.
The person who sent it was a university professor who taught law. A friend of his who was a Client had asked if he could spend a couple of weeks in my office to see how things worked in practice. After a couple of days I had to tell him to go.
Why do people think you make a point of specifying?

Witzend Tue 27-Nov-18 11:37:08

Not just me, then!

On a related matter - food shopping - dh will offer when there's a major shop to be done, e.g. when guests are coming - particularly if it's his family! - but it's such a faff having to write down in detail exactly what to get, TBH it's easier just to do it myself.

He's never been allowed to forget the time he came back from a huge Asda telling me they didn't have any loo cleaner of any description - no Harpic or Toilet Duck or anything - yes, of course he looked properly! - and they didn't!'
It wasn't a case of anything deliberate - he's just hopeless at looking for anything. Nowadays he won't bother if anything's not very quickly found - he just asks a member of staff. Which at least means he doesn't come home telling me they didn't have it!

JacquiG Tue 27-Nov-18 11:38:50

Infuriating isn't it. No, they don't listen do they. Next time ask if he needs a shopping list and give him one ready prepared.

Squiffy Tue 27-Nov-18 11:40:06

Mr S looking for Something.

Me: It’s in the tall cupboard in the kitchen (there’s only one tall cupboard in the kitchen), top shelf, right hand side.

Mr S: Nope, I can’t see it. It’s not there.

Me: Yes it is, I put it there this morning. Tall cupboard in kitchen, top shelf, right hand side.

Mr S: No, still can’t find it.

Me: ?? Why are you looking in the cupboard under the sink?

Mr S: That’s where you said it was .....

This happens all the time ?

Happysexagenarian Tue 27-Nov-18 11:43:05

I always write things down for DH when he shops for me. It's not that he doesn't listen, but I then have written evidence if he gets it wrong!

Personally I only ever use 1st class stamps, never 2nd. A postman once told me that they don't bother with 2nd class mail that is incorrectly addressed, has the wrong postage on it or can't be delivered - especially at Christmas - it's just binned and destroyed. So I just stick with 1st class.

moobox Tue 27-Nov-18 11:44:58

I thought mine was bad. If he has a list with 5 things he gets 4 of them wrong. But your list had only one thing!

mabon1 Tue 27-Nov-18 11:53:46

Go to buy 2nd class yourself and either save the lst class for next year, ask dh for the money back please or perhaps the Post Office would change them anyway, give them a go

sarahellenwhitney Tue 27-Nov-18 12:05:49

Witzend At least you got some stamps not a, 'Oh !! sorry, I met ????? and we got talking and forgot'.

EthelJ Tue 27-Nov-18 12:09:41

Last year I asked my husband if he could get some minced meat so I could make a shepherds pie he came back with a jar of mincemeat! I wouldn't have been quite so annoyed if we hadn't both been in M&S the previous day and bought 2 packets of mince pies for Christmas. I don't know what he thought I was going to do with the mincement!

moggie57 Tue 27-Nov-18 12:32:15

I would have taken them smiled sweetly and said thankyou

Rufus2 Tue 27-Nov-18 13:19:59

Poor Hubbies are copping it again! sad Please remember that Christmas is a'comin and the season of "Goodwill to all Men". It seems that only the unattached are able to walk around and shop in peace and contentment! grin

Lancslass1 Tue 27-Nov-18 13:42:56

Did your husband specifically ask for the Reilious Christmas stamps Witzend?
I did a few weeks ago and was told that the Religious ones hadn't arrived but I could have the secular ones-a post box I believe.
I said I would wait until they had some but when I went back I was told they had all gone but would be getting more in a month's time-yes really.
I said I was surprised they had all gone but she said they had only been allocated 1000 stamps!!
Apparently alternate years are mainly secular or Religious and this year is a secular year.
There I was thinking that Christmas meant the celebration of the birth of Christ.
In my opinion there should only be one set of Christmas stamps-ie Religious ones.
Anybody not realising that Christmas is a religious occasion can always use ordinary stamps.

Lancslass1 Tue 27-Nov-18 13:50:17

Witzend ,
At some point in the future you are going to need a first class stamp in a hurry-forgotten birthday for example -and you will have one there.
They won't go bad.

Grandad1943 Tue 27-Nov-18 13:54:28

Another totally sexist thread where stupid men (as all are) can do nothing right for their absolutely perfect wives and partners.