Gransnet forums

Chat

Infiltration

(302 Posts)
BlueBelle Tue 04-Dec-18 05:30:21

I think we have an infiltration of ‘jokers’ on the threads at the moment Well of course it may be the same person with a variety of names but I have noticed four (at least) new names who are ‘ having fun’ with us
I presume reporting them and letting Gransnet sort them out is the only way forward
Has anyone else noticed ?
We need a sin bin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Dec-18 10:24:49

We have indeed had the occasional poster who is here to cause mischief (etc) - if you spot others do report them to us and we can take a look.

As you know, we don't get a chance to read every post on every thread, so it's really useful when people flag areas of concern (by reporting or by email - not on the thread itself as that's against our guidelines).

Of course, some posts might be by users you don't recognise simply because they are new to the site or because they've been members for a while but it's their first time posting. But if you think we should take a look just let us know - we are always happy to do so.

Squiffy Tue 04-Dec-18 10:37:25

How do you 'regulars' know what any one else's life is like, how unkind to judge

I don't think anyone is judging. Regulars are just that, regulars, and so are more familiar with what seem to be genuine posters.

Most GNetters are kind and helpful and are just concerned about others being drawn into threads without realising that they are not genuine - and giving their time, wisdom and, often, part of their own personal story.

On the whole, I think that we are protective of one another and try to alert others about fake threads.

Fennel Tue 04-Dec-18 12:28:07

If we're over cautious in reporting we might harm someone who has a genuinely weird problem, and desperately needs help or sympathy.
Fact can be stranger than fiction.

Elegran Tue 04-Dec-18 12:46:48

Indeed, Fennel, the dilemma is how to help those who need it without encouraging the small number of exhibitionists who want to see their fake posts taken seriously. Asking a few (polite) questions of the original poster to make their story clearer is one way. If the answers don't add up, or the explanation reveals other holes, then reporting it along with the reason why you are doubtful is the next move. However, sometimes it is difficult to ignore!

Grandad1943 Tue 04-Dec-18 13:07:35

I believe that the Misandry so often displayed on this forum by members very much makes this site a very large target for those wishing to take the P*SS.

We so often see threads started with the sole intention by wives and partners of holding up their male counterparts to outdated derogatory ridicule and totally sexist remarks.

The above is often referred to on other social media sites, and that may well draw to this site those who wish to ridicule this forum and its members.

In this the old adage comes to mind, being (you reap what you sow).

lemongrove Tue 04-Dec-18 13:18:32

.....and I believe that the po faced comments so often displayed on this forum by members shows a distinct lack of a sense of humour.Other males on this forum seem to cope well Grandad43 naturally, there aren’t many as this forum is called Gransnet.

lemongrove Tue 04-Dec-18 13:20:13

Doubtful threads started by names you don’t recognise can just be left alone to fizzle out.

Chewbacca Tue 04-Dec-18 13:29:32

I was avidly following the granny who wanted sole access to her GC on Christmas Day but it seems to have vanished. I bought popcorn too!

Grandad1943 Tue 04-Dec-18 13:29:35

Lemongrove the Gransnet name in itself is outdated in present times I believe.

That name should be changed to Grandparents net and Parentnet for its counterpart. The foregoing is especially prevalent as legislation now allows for single sex marriage and parenthood.

BlueBelle Tue 04-Dec-18 13:36:53

Well if the thread has been deleted perhaps Headquaters has acted as I did ask for them to check a few new posters

I don’t like being played so I will continue to let HQ know if I think there is jiggerybpokery going on

kittylester Tue 04-Dec-18 13:46:39

What flavour chewbacca?

Chewbacca Tue 04-Dec-18 14:32:43

Salted caramel kitty. I'll save it for when the next joker comes along; shouldn't be long, they're coming thick and fast lately! grin

Farmor15 Tue 04-Dec-18 14:45:59

Apparently it is possible for a person to have more than one username - on a thread recently a regular poster said she had a second one, as she had problems with password or something. Second name was identical to first, with the addition of a number. That seemed genuine, but it would seem it's possible for the same person to post under different names.

kittylester Tue 04-Dec-18 14:46:13

chewbacca grin

I think the point made by the op is lg that some people don't know they should be allowed to fizzle out.

BlueBelle Tue 04-Dec-18 17:17:57

One of the threads I ask HQ to look into has been deleted and the poster is being investigated
I m pretty sure I wasn’t imagining things

oldbatty Tue 04-Dec-18 17:32:44

I cannot for the life of me imagine somebody spending their time creating an identity( takes about 2 minutes admittedly) ,creating a fake problem and getting off on loads of kind people trying to help.

Cherrytree59 Tue 04-Dec-18 21:26:20

Grandad 1943
I don't think Gransnet or Mumsnet will rebranded anytime in the near future.smile

janeainsworth Tue 04-Dec-18 21:55:53

oldbatty nowt so queer as folk as I’m sure you know!

grannyactivist Tue 04-Dec-18 22:42:08

Oh dear.
I usually don't post on the questionable threads, but I did suggest to a poster yesterday that she should buy her grandchildren a onesie each and let them enjoy Christmas with their parents! And now I see the thread has been deleted. tchblush
It never occurred to me to report the thread; if it was a genuine post then the OP would have received some slightly odd, but harmless advice, whereas if it was a 'joker' they would know they'd been rumbled.

oldbatty Tue 04-Dec-18 23:01:23

janea ' appen so.

Farmor15 Tue 04-Dec-18 23:25:03

old batty I think there are odd people who get some kind of kick from creating a fake identity, posting something controversial and possibly giving a reply under another identity. It happened once on another discussion forum I was on, but moderator discovered that first poster and one of the inflammatory responders were actually from same Internet address.

notentirelyallhere Wed 05-Dec-18 00:04:24

I haven't had a chance to look at this thread again until now. I wasn't intending to be harsh towards anyone, if anything the complete reverse! I was also feeling nervous that having posted, as a newbie, with a problem I was amongst those being listed as a wind up merchant, which I'm certainly not! There are some very odd people out there, for sure, and social media gives them the chance to sow misinformation and discord. Perhaps lurking discretely is the best way of being, leadt said, soonest mended, etc. Goodnight all, sleep well.

Marydoll Wed 05-Dec-18 00:34:47

notentirelyallhere ?

kittylester Wed 05-Dec-18 06:48:24

farmor, I don't think it is possible to have 2 names. I suspect the person you are talking about had to have a new name for some reason and just added a number to their original name.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Dec-18 06:58:14

notentirelyallhere please don’t take things like this personally and please keep posting we love to have new posters and new ideas but just now and then we get a few (maybe bored people or teens) try to have a laugh by posting a problem and getting everyone all revved up and it’s really not nice as people spend time and effort to be helpful and sometimes people talk about their own similar problem in the quest to be a comfort
I hope you understand what’s going on and not a nice start to your time on Gransnet
Hopefully the person or persons who were doing it this time have gone now