Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I the only person who.......

(97 Posts)
kittylester Tue 04-Dec-18 09:59:36

wouldn't dream of asking the cat to move from the bed so I can make it?

A friend looked slightly shocked when I said I sometimes have to wait till the afternoon for her move.blush

Rosina Wed 05-Dec-18 09:59:39

Yes - that's us too, life is worked around what the cats want. I think we must just accept, kittylester that we are staff, in feline servitude.

jenni123 Wed 05-Dec-18 10:04:54

Many years ago when I had 4 small dogs I have been known to sit on the floor if they were occupying the chairs... It wouldn't work now as if I got on the floor I would never be able to get up again. plus sadly where I live in sheltered housing we are not allowed any pets at all. I do miss having a dog.

wot Wed 05-Dec-18 10:12:26

Lynne59, what a beautiful cat.! Looks so cosy.

Lancslass1 Wed 05-Dec-18 10:16:47

Kitty leister you are 100% normal.
Cats rule the roost and we accept it.
When Our cat developed a limp on Sunday evening but didn't appear to be in pain we waited until yesterday and took him to the vet.
He put the cat onto the floor ,cat jumped up on the table.
He repeated the process and thev same thing happened.
Quick injection.
Quick examination.
Prescription.
Almost £70
We have got peace of mind though.
Cat fast asleep on DH knee.
DH can't move now so has to sit and read the newspaper.

Lancslass1 Wed 05-Dec-18 10:20:24

Further to my previous message and slight diversion.
I think that vets should do tokens like book tokens and garden vouchers and then elderly folk with pets could be given something useful for presents rather than the ubiquitous chocolates,biscuits or hand cream.
DH doesn't like the idea.
Am I alone in thinking it is a good one?

sarahellenwhitney Wed 05-Dec-18 10:22:33

Lynne59. Lovely photo. What an adorable pet you have.

b1zzle Wed 05-Dec-18 10:29:50

Can we please have a full and itemised Sluts Charter in the New Year so that we can all adhere to it?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 05-Dec-18 10:33:41

Well my side of the bed isn't made yet this morning. Guess who is curled up sleeping in it?

Just went to check, and he'd gone, so the bed is now made.

We do spoil them dreadfully, don't we?

sarahellenwhitney Wed 05-Dec-18 10:42:15

Having had pets myself it was not unknown for me to ask late DH to 'please turn down the tv volume as the dogs are sleeping.'

3211123rjc Wed 05-Dec-18 10:43:09

It's clear from the replies you are not alone. My cat died a few years ago and I miss her dearly. My current husband inherited her when we moved in together. Not being a cat person he tolerated her. This cat spent about 3 years winning him over. Firstly she sat on the floor in front of him most evenings, just staring. Then the same tactics but on the sofa next to him. Finally,laying on a cushion next to him with her head on his lap. As I say this took about 3 years, needless to say as a female she was not going to give in. My husband will not admit to many but, he misses her too. She was 13 when she died and for a number of years had been the only thing I had to come home to, and was always pleased to see me. So to you all, happy days. Have a dog now, she likes our bed, and if not caught in the act likes to lick the sheetshmm

Gizmogranny Wed 05-Dec-18 10:44:22

If my cats sneak onto the bed before it’s made I tend to leave them there and will go and make the bed when they decide to move. My two cats are so spoilt ?

Magicmaggie Wed 05-Dec-18 10:51:47

I,can’t get up yet,cos my cat Snowi is peacefully sleeping
between my legs on the bed?
(See photo)

harrigran Wed 05-Dec-18 11:00:23

Cats on beds shock not in my house.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 05-Dec-18 11:03:25

Another pampered puss lives here and this is entirely normal. If he were to rouse himself he could get away with murder.

mabon1 Wed 05-Dec-18 11:05:37

I can't believe I am reading this rubbish. My dog is much loved and cossetted but knows his place and that's not in or on a bed!!

inishowen Wed 05-Dec-18 11:14:26

I was afraid to move our cat. She would hiss, bite and scratch! I was the only person she did this to. She died last year at 20 years old.

lizzypopbottle Wed 05-Dec-18 11:41:03

One of other of our dogs always steals my place, wherever I've been sitting, even if I only get up for a few seconds! I find somewhere else to sit and they do it again. I think they've been listening to reports about the danger of sitting too much and are trying to keep me from that. ?

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Dec-18 11:57:23

I agree with mabon. Our cat has the choice of two very comfy baskets by radiators and can lie next to us on the sofas or on our knees if she wants. She’s not allowed upstairs and if she jumps into my seat when I get up she’s evicted as soon as I get back, asleep or not. smile

Megs36 Wed 05-Dec-18 12:30:29

Love all these catty comments, our cat changes his mind on a regular basis as to where he'll sleep so we have to follow every whim as to where this weeks 'roost' is, Whisper this, trying to wrap presents on the dining table and he is 'helping 'with everything ;food on lap tray tonight unless my armchair is chosen later. What is it about moggies?

?????????????????????????

Craftycat Wed 05-Dec-18 12:54:37

Move a sleeping cat!! You must be joking - I can just imagine the look I would get. No- our 4 rule the house as did the dog before she died at 18 years old.
I do draw the line at sleeping on my pillow though but only because I get so hot! We do have disagreements about this regularly around 3am.
Luckily DH & I agree about the role of animals in the house.
That is - they rule the roost & we are basically their servants. They make up for it with all the love they give us back. I have never lived a single day of my life without a cat in the house.

Willow10 Wed 05-Dec-18 13:23:24

I've had numerous cats and dogs over the years, but they have never been allowed upstairs. Mainly because if they bring any little hitchhikers home - which they all do from time to time - I don't ever want my bedroom infested!

MawBroon Wed 05-Dec-18 13:31:12

“Dog Rules” also apply to cats - domestic staff (aka humans) be aware!

lemongrove Wed 05-Dec-18 13:39:33

Although we have always kept cats out of our bedrooms, there was one occasion when one of our cats got through a small open window in Summer, and onto our son’s bed.
He was curled up next to our little boy when I found him, and there was blood spattered on the duvet cover and some innards of a small creature next to him!
Lovely at 7 a.m to find this.

lemongrove Wed 05-Dec-18 13:41:07

Haha Maw I saw that very teatowel in a shop in Hexham recently.

Sheilasue Wed 05-Dec-18 13:59:52

H and I have our own chairs, which Oscar our cat takes turn in sitting on. At the mo he’s pinched h’s so h is on the sofa which is a little bit on the low side.

My gd says we are daft.