Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I the only person who.......

(97 Posts)
kittylester Tue 04-Dec-18 09:59:36

wouldn't dream of asking the cat to move from the bed so I can make it?

A friend looked slightly shocked when I said I sometimes have to wait till the afternoon for her move.blush

phoenix Sat 08-Dec-18 09:49:46

Don't worry Speldnan they probably don't like you either.

Chewbacca Sat 08-Dec-18 10:21:18

I have a friend that thinks about animals like you do Speldnan, and I judge her for it. It makes being friends with her quite difficult sometimes.

Buffybee Sat 08-Dec-18 10:32:36

I never trust a person if they don't like dogs, but I always trust a dog if they don't like a person.

Speldnan Sat 08-Dec-18 11:04:26

Actually they all flock to me! It’s well known that this happens, particularly with cats, I’m thinking they recognise and empathise with the disdain ?
You surely shouldn’t judge people for not liking pets! Each to their own don’t you think?

phoenix Sat 08-Dec-18 11:46:46

Shouldn't judge, perhaps........................

Speldnan Sat 08-Dec-18 12:06:02

It’s very interesting actually, just looked up about animals’ reactions to people and both dogs and cats will apparently go to people who don’t approach them or make a fuss because it’s less stressful for them. Cats in particular prefer a person sitting quietly who isn’t reaching out for them. They only want to be fussed when it’s THEIR choice. FYI I’ve known a couple of family dogs in my life and loved them both. I had a cat once abroad and while it was nice enough, I didn’t enjoy it’s dirty habits ( walking on worktops when my back was turned, messing in the garden, bringing in birds and animals, hairs everywhere) and would never have one again. I shoo cats out of my garden now before they can do any damage!

phoenix Sat 08-Dec-18 18:28:45

Cats are well known for doing damage, have been known to demolish sheds, take down walls and completely rearrange vegetable plots.(can also play havoc if you are growing sweetcorn, which as "evry fule knows" must be grown in blocks to facilitate pollination)

They also dig up seedlings, and crap in the soil. I will grant that.

So, bravo for shooing them out, no doubt one "shooing" will ensure that they never come back (in your dreams!)

Buffybee Sat 08-Dec-18 18:45:32

Heaving this post back on its tracks so that we can get on with adoring our spoiled cats and dogs.
Here's my old girl Buffy and little Suki!
Buffy is in a huff at being described as filthy.
How very dare you!!!!

phoenix Sat 08-Dec-18 18:54:14

Buffybee loved your earlier post, and love the photo!

Doodle Sat 08-Dec-18 21:57:28

When one of my dogs was too old to get up on the bed (I would have lifted him up but was afraid that if he wanted to get off in the night he would hurt himself jumping down) he took to sleeping under the bed on my side just under the valance. I would go to sleep with my hand stroking his head and would wake in the morning with a totally numb arm from it dangling over the side of the bed all night!

Lynne59 Thu 13-Dec-18 16:43:17

sarahellenwhitney and wot....that's my Mr Cooper. He was feral, until I (over months) gained his trust enough to be able to get him into a cat carrier and have his wounds (from fights) treated at the vet. I had him microchipped, neutered, and kept him. I slept downstairs with him for 4 nights, as he was terrified of every noise - washing machine, tv, 'phone, etc - he'd never lived indoors at all before then.

He's a lovely, gentle boy of about 14 now.

Lynne59 Thu 13-Dec-18 16:45:31

phoenix... the cats around where you live must be massive! They demolish sheds and take down walls?!! I've never heard of anything like it haha

Day6 Thu 13-Dec-18 17:08:26

Buffy - gorgeous cat and dog...thanks for photo. In fact, thanks all for all for you pet photos. All beautiful, dearly loved creatures. Our animals are family, aren't they?

I have an acquaintance who hates cats and dogs, has never has a pet, and she hates children too. They are all 'horrible nuisances' according to her. That's ok, her choice/preference, but she REALLY is a cold fish, lacking generosity of spirit. I think animals can bring out the best in us.

OH had to fetch and carry for me last night because the cat was on my lap. grin He also raised his eyebrows because I said, when the WWF advertisement came on TV, that I really would love to get close to a gorgeous leopard and cuddle it. (I know it would rip me to shreds...but...) Such beautiful creatures. At this, and in unison both the cat and OH gave me a withering glance.

(I'd post a picture of our feline mistress if I knew how to. Google photos stores my pics online and direct transfer seems impossible!)

Buffybee Fri 14-Dec-18 00:59:01

Thanks Day6!
Buffy (dog) is my shadow and follows me everywhere. I love her to bits.
We're a bit of a animal loving family. Dd's family have two dogs, a rabbit called Mo (Farrar)
and a horse.
Ds and family have just a Border Terrier.
Btw I can only put photos on with my iPhone.
Nice to meet you out of the Cafe. smile

Day6 Fri 14-Dec-18 02:35:02

You too Buffy grin

e are a family of animal lovers too. I was brought up with cats. We had three at various times when I was growing up, Shortly after we married husband and I went to a fabric shop one day to have some curtains made up, Next door was a pet shop and even though we were going away for the weekend, a little kitten stole our hearts, so we paid for her there and then and collected her when we came back. Our first 'baby'

Over the years my children have had mice, hamsters, fish and cats. Now daughter owns a lovely, very soppy dog.

PageTurner Fri 14-Dec-18 03:07:54

We have four cats who rule the house. Pretty well behaved but spoiled. Love them to bits. These two are brothers. The other two are camera shy. Have photos on my iPhone of them but not on iPad.

Buffybee Fri 14-Dec-18 13:58:12

They're all gorgeous Page.
The beauty on the table definately "rules the roost".

Maggiemaybe Fri 14-Dec-18 18:47:37

Well, our appropriately named Angel won't be joining the beauty parade. Her mother was a spitting, scratching feral cat taken in by our vet till she'd had her kittens. She's got a misshapen skull, a crooked tooth, squinty eyes, does her business on the door mats when we leave her alone for the day and has a nasty nature (as evidenced by the recent blood-spattered note from our milkman advising us that he wouldn't be leaving the bottles next to the cat flap in future grin). It's a good job love is blind.

phoenix Fri 14-Dec-18 18:59:36

lynne59 a bit of a tongue in cheek response to an earlier pst, but I'm sure you know that! tchwink

Speldnan Sat 15-Dec-18 09:19:37

Love how people are so defensive about their pets and so easy to wind up! ???? each to their own and Happy Christmas to everyone and their animals!

notentirelyallhere Sat 15-Dec-18 15:00:04

When our immediate family of 5 gathers, there aren't enough seats but no one would dream of ousting the cat from 'her' chair so someone always sits on the floor.

In the past, when we had a dog too, the dog and cat would compete to sit on me. I would find it so sterile to live without a pet, they bring heart warmth to a house.