Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I the only person who.......

(96 Posts)
kittylester Tue 04-Dec-18 09:59:36

wouldn't dream of asking the cat to move from the bed so I can make it?

A friend looked slightly shocked when I said I sometimes have to wait till the afternoon for her move.blush

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Dec-18 10:02:27

I used to wait for our cat “to get up also” , normal behaviour surely?

ninathenana Tue 04-Dec-18 10:07:56

Our cat isn't alowed up stairs but
DH won't move him from 'his' chair and will sit elsewhere until the cat moves.

Squiffy Tue 04-Dec-18 10:24:48

kitty It's the law, isn't it?! tchwink tchgrin

Lynne59 Tue 04-Dec-18 10:29:55

My cat was under the duvet with me this morning, for an hour. I left him there whilst I went downstairs to put the heating on smile

kittylester Tue 04-Dec-18 10:57:38

Are we married to the same person nina? We have another cat that sits in dh's place in the lounge all night if he gets there first - otherwise on DH if he gets the place. The kitten doesn't sit still anywhere yet!

goldengirl Tue 04-Dec-18 11:04:13

I feel guilty if I have to move one of our cats from their cosy sleeping place - usually on the bed! DH doesn't like it but it doesn't worry me and both are company when DH is away - they are then allowed to sleep on the bed at night!!!

MiniMoon Tue 04-Dec-18 11:14:48

I want to go and make soup, but the cat from across the road is very comfortably curled up on my lap. I am very loath to move him, he is lovely and warm.

GillT57 Tue 04-Dec-18 11:54:26

Oh yes, once the cat is on the chosen lap at night everyone else has to answer the door/phone/let dog in and out, we all inconvenience the humans rather than the cat. When I die, I intend to come back as my own cat.

Izabella Tue 04-Dec-18 12:00:25

?

SueDonim Tue 04-Dec-18 12:32:57

Our two cats recently spent eight and a half hours snuggled up to each other on dh's chair. Eight and a half hours! How can they be so tired after a night's sleep? Dh sat on a hard kitchen chair so as not to disturb them. grin

sodapop Tue 04-Dec-18 13:01:33

No definitely not, I am the pack leader in our house, dogs, cats, husband know their place.
smile

lemongrove Tue 04-Dec-18 13:07:52

No, I’m a cat person who has kept cats for almost 50 years, but they never take precedence over either me or anything I need to do around the house.
Further to that....gasp! They are not allowed on the beds.

SueDonim Tue 04-Dec-18 13:22:41

I've never allowed pets into the bedrooms at all. It's obvious that our rescue cats were used to have the run of the house in their previous home because if they get the chance to dash into a bedroom they're up onto the bed and snuggled down before you can say Jack Robinson.

I have to say, my Dh is much softer than me. I'll happily evict the cats if they're sitting where I want to sit.

Chewbacca Tue 04-Dec-18 13:27:27

Under no circumstances should a sleeping cat be disturbed! I wouldn't even put the vacuum cleaner on when my cat was sleeping because I didn't want to disturb his peaceful and enviable slumber. I could watch a cat sleeping for hours! ? ?

GillT57 Tue 04-Dec-18 15:09:00

If we humans slept as long on one position as cats do we would develop a deep vein thrombosis or similar. Maybe the British Heart Foundation should fund research into why this is!

SueDonim Tue 04-Dec-18 18:21:52

Ah well, my Dh has been cursing the cats this evening, after they almost sent him headlong by getting under his feet. grin

Day6 Tue 04-Dec-18 18:31:24

We are the same with our cat. OH won't even get the hoover out if she is sleeping as she is frightened by the noise. We wait for her to go out. We will sit on other chairs if she has occupied our favourites.

She sleeps on our bed. OH sleeps at the oddest angles when she plonks herself down for a snooze. He accommodates her, as do I.

I think it's the law. grin Cat lovers tend to let them rule the roost.

(We made all the 'laws' when she was a kitten and her only no go areas are the dining table and kitchen worktops. She never touches them. Oh and we keep our spare bedroom doors shut always, and tell any staying over guests to do the same.) Ours is the only bed she is allowed on.

Buffybee Tue 04-Dec-18 19:49:00

My cat was born in straw bales at the stables and rescued by my Dgd's who pleaded with me to have the little scrap. Fed her by pipette and she was soon on kitten food. I thought she would be ok as she was so young when she came but she's still part feral and very nervy. She will now let me stroke her head when she's on the chair arm and she has improved a lot.
She adores my old dog though and curls up with her, which is lovely.
Oh yes! Spoilt animals!
I was speaking to my friend about the cold weather and mentioned it would help if I could close the inside doors downstairs. Friend asked why couldn't I. Well I can't because Buffy (yes, I'm named after the dog) doesn't like it and she's older than me so I'm not arguing with her.
Friend thinks I'm barmy but she doesn't have animals.

agnurse Tue 04-Dec-18 19:53:29

Hubby makes our kitties move when they sit on his computer chair. For me it depends. If the cat (usually Biggie) is on the part of the couch where I want to sit, I will pick him up and put him either back on the couch in another spot or sit him on my lap. (He is normally very agreeable as he loves people.) If I'm trying to get in bed I often have to maneuver around the cats.

phoenix Tue 04-Dec-18 20:52:16

Oliver Sprout and Minnie do not get moved from the bed in the morning, unless they happen to have settled on my bathrobe (really need it, can't towel dry after a shower, makes me all itchy, so have to have towelling robe).

As for "making the bed" especially first thing in the morning, may I refer you to item number 3 in "The Sluts Charter", namely:

It is not that I haven't made the bed, I have left it to air

phoenix Tue 04-Dec-18 20:54:55

PS. Other items from The Sluts Charter are available on request, or even to order! tchwink

kittylester Tue 04-Dec-18 20:57:37

Brilliant phoenix!

lemongrove Tue 04-Dec-18 22:41:07

Oh yes, airing the bed ( all day) is very good for it.grin
Same can be said for allowing any washing up to ‘soak’ and later on to put it on the drainer to ‘air dry’.

phoenix Tue 04-Dec-18 23:14:22

lemongrove that too is in the Sluts Charter (have you been peeking?)