Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you like writing research papers during your studying?

(21 Posts)
Enola Tue 04-Dec-18 17:03:11

How difficult was this for you? Personally I have rather unpleasant memories about these tasks.

Jane10 Tue 04-Dec-18 17:21:15

It's hard work but I loved it.

DoraMarr Tue 04-Dec-18 18:52:33

I enjoyed the challenge. I’ve joined a writing group, so still have that challenge, only this time it’s for me!

Day6 Tue 04-Dec-18 18:59:38

I absolutely loved it!

I was a student in the '70s and of course we spent hour upon hour in the library with piles of books for reference. The internet makes research SO much easier. I remember I loved sifting through different ideas and thoughts and restructuring them for my essays.

I have often thought I'd have liked to have earned a living doing research for others. My own children "allowed me"(quite happily) to assist with their university assignments.

grannyactivist Tue 04-Dec-18 19:13:32

I went to university as a mature student and when I finally got the opportunity to study I loved it. Writing assignment I continue to channel this by doing genealogical research in my 'spare' time and then writing up my results in a brief narrative form.

BBbevan Tue 04-Dec-18 19:40:22

Loved writing essays. The research, the reasoning, and the physical writing were all part of it. Don't do enough writing now.Just theoddleter.

Jane10 Tue 04-Dec-18 20:15:01

I did a doctorate in my 50s and loved it. Then I retired and wrote a couple of novels. Now I write for the People's Friend. Massive change of direction or what! I have new story in tomorrow's Special.
You never know where academic study will take you!!

Marydoll Tue 04-Dec-18 21:01:00

When I studied for my first degree over forty years ago, I hated the whole process. I was probably too immature to be at university.
Thirty odd years later, I studied for a second degree in my fifties and it was a totally different experience. I thrived on all the research I had to do.
I became hooked on finding out how the brain works and fascinated about developing new neural pathways. My final thesis was based on this.
I then applied this to how I taught. It totally changed the way I worked with children experiencing barriers to learning and also impacted on the methodology of my colleagues.
The internet and technology opened up new directions for me and instead of a boring old word processed thesis (well I hope it wasn't boring!), I had graphs, diagrams, photographs and scans of children's work embedded in the final copy.
I still have that enthusiasm and desire to learn today.

annodomini Tue 04-Dec-18 21:44:34

I only did a first degree, but much later in life, I had the task of reading my DS2's dissertation for his first degree which was very interesting; and the dissertation for his MBA which was exceptionally boring - 'Innovation in Retail'. Perhaps I should have done a further degree but after a four year degree I was keen to get on with my life!

MawBroon Tue 04-Dec-18 21:46:21

I am curious to know why OP is asking this question.

Jane10 Tue 04-Dec-18 22:05:31

Yes. I'm wondering that too. Maybe they'll offer us jobs writing essays for money?

Marydoll Tue 04-Dec-18 23:04:43

Oh, I don't think they could afford us! grin

MawBroon Wed 05-Dec-18 08:25:56

Or perhaps the precursor to some piece of advertising? (Cynical, moi?)

Marydoll Wed 05-Dec-18 08:44:41

No Maw, not cynical, just astute!

flowers for you.

Teetime Wed 05-Dec-18 09:17:33

I loved it and would do some more if I could afford the fees.

goldengirl Wed 05-Dec-18 11:59:44

I enjoy it to this day. I write handouts from time to time and have to check out the research and reference it. It's hard work but satisfying.

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 12:31:09

Did you ever find a new mattress Enola?

your advertising link didn't work last time so I wasn't sure if you were successful.
tchsmile

Jane10 Wed 05-Dec-18 12:34:36

Oh shockgrin

Marydoll Wed 05-Dec-18 12:44:36

Yes, I noticed that too! All a bit bizarre!

M0nica Wed 05-Dec-18 15:22:25

I was going to reply (much the same replya s others). but after reading the last few posts will hold back for now.

Plesseity10 Wed 10-Jul-19 20:19:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.