Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you like writing research papers during your studying?

(26 Posts)
Enola Tue 04-Dec-18 17:03:11

How difficult was this for you? Personally I have rather unpleasant memories about these tasks.

Jane10 Tue 04-Dec-18 17:21:15

It's hard work but I loved it.

DoraMarr Tue 04-Dec-18 18:52:33

I enjoyed the challenge. I’ve joined a writing group, so still have that challenge, only this time it’s for me!

Day6 Tue 04-Dec-18 18:59:38

I absolutely loved it!

I was a student in the '70s and of course we spent hour upon hour in the library with piles of books for reference. The internet makes research SO much easier. I remember I loved sifting through different ideas and thoughts and restructuring them for my essays.

I have often thought I'd have liked to have earned a living doing research for others. My own children "allowed me"(quite happily) to assist with their university assignments.

grannyactivist Tue 04-Dec-18 19:13:32

I went to university as a mature student and when I finally got the opportunity to study I loved it. Writing assignment I continue to channel this by doing genealogical research in my 'spare' time and then writing up my results in a brief narrative form.

BBbevan Tue 04-Dec-18 19:40:22

Loved writing essays. The research, the reasoning, and the physical writing were all part of it. Don't do enough writing now.Just theoddleter.

Jane10 Tue 04-Dec-18 20:15:01

I did a doctorate in my 50s and loved it. Then I retired and wrote a couple of novels. Now I write for the People's Friend. Massive change of direction or what! I have new story in tomorrow's Special.
You never know where academic study will take you!!

Marydoll Tue 04-Dec-18 21:01:00

When I studied for my first degree over forty years ago, I hated the whole process. I was probably too immature to be at university.
Thirty odd years later, I studied for a second degree in my fifties and it was a totally different experience. I thrived on all the research I had to do.
I became hooked on finding out how the brain works and fascinated about developing new neural pathways. My final thesis was based on this.
I then applied this to how I taught. It totally changed the way I worked with children experiencing barriers to learning and also impacted on the methodology of my colleagues.
The internet and technology opened up new directions for me and instead of a boring old word processed thesis (well I hope it wasn't boring!), I had graphs, diagrams, photographs and scans of children's work embedded in the final copy.
I still have that enthusiasm and desire to learn today.

annodomini Tue 04-Dec-18 21:44:34

I only did a first degree, but much later in life, I had the task of reading my DS2's dissertation for his first degree which was very interesting; and the dissertation for his MBA which was exceptionally boring - 'Innovation in Retail'. Perhaps I should have done a further degree but after a four year degree I was keen to get on with my life!

MawBroon Tue 04-Dec-18 21:46:21

I am curious to know why OP is asking this question.

Jane10 Tue 04-Dec-18 22:05:31

Yes. I'm wondering that too. Maybe they'll offer us jobs writing essays for money?

Marydoll Tue 04-Dec-18 23:04:43

Oh, I don't think they could afford us! grin

MawBroon Wed 05-Dec-18 08:25:56

Or perhaps the precursor to some piece of advertising? (Cynical, moi?)

Marydoll Wed 05-Dec-18 08:44:41

No Maw, not cynical, just astute!

flowers for you.

Teetime Wed 05-Dec-18 09:17:33

I loved it and would do some more if I could afford the fees.

goldengirl Wed 05-Dec-18 11:59:44

I enjoy it to this day. I write handouts from time to time and have to check out the research and reference it. It's hard work but satisfying.

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 12:31:09

Did you ever find a new mattress Enola?

your advertising link didn't work last time so I wasn't sure if you were successful.
tchsmile

Jane10 Wed 05-Dec-18 12:34:36

Oh shockgrin

Marydoll Wed 05-Dec-18 12:44:36

Yes, I noticed that too! All a bit bizarre!

M0nica Wed 05-Dec-18 15:22:25

I was going to reply (much the same replya s others). but after reading the last few posts will hold back for now.

Plesseity10 Wed 10-Jul-19 20:19:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

marina3 Tue 30-Aug-22 13:44:59

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Aveline Tue 30-Aug-22 13:58:15

Reported

biglouis Tue 30-Aug-22 15:11:24

I fell very naturally into research as a mature student. I had come from an academic profession (librarianship) and had already published a book and a number of peer reviewed articles. Once you do a small book then you can do a bigger one!

That was the part of doing a degree which I loved. I enjoyed writing my masters and doctoral theses. I recall meeting my prof on the way back from the universery bindery, having just picked up the two bound copies of my Ph.D. They were in a Tesco bag and he probably thought it was my shopping. He asked me "Have you nearly finished writing up yet!" I told him "Yes here are the volumes". He was astounded. He had become so used to his graduate students making excuses and taking months to "write up". It was only then he told me that very few postgrads finished while they were still within the 3 years funding.

Mapleleaf Tue 30-Aug-22 15:36:12

Another old thread resurrected by spammers. Latest one reported. (30 Aug 13:44:59 post)