Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling really desperate now - Buyer renaging on Sale

(55 Posts)
cheneslieges132 Wed 05-Dec-18 10:07:10

This might be a long post - sorry in advance!
We have had our Mobile Home in France up for sale for over 20 months ever since my husband practically DIED suffering a Pulmonary Embolism on our return through France in 2017, and spent over a week in Intensive Care in the French Hospital. After much inactivity with the first Sales Agents, I found a new Sales Agent and this has been very successful - 8 enquiries, 4 viewings and TWO offers, the higher offer which we accepted, although MUCH lower than the asking price. This 'Buyer' was very keen and voluntarily offered a 10% Deposit to secure the Sale. We accepted this Deposit.
The whole procedure has been VERY difficult for us, because we can now not travel at all due to my husband's near-fatal collapse, and his Doctor has banned him from traveling long journeys. We therefore have had to rely on the kindness of a friend in France to be a "key-holder" and show all these viewers around - at considerable inconvenience - and we cannot keep repeating this.
However, two days ago we received a letter from this 'Buyer' saying he wishes to pull out of the Sale. We are devastated to say the least. There is no way we can start all over again, since there is now no one in France to show any new potential Buyers around. We ourselves can never go back to France, we are both in our 80's and cannot now travel again (I do not drive and cannot fly because of a serious ear problem). We are absolutely terrified of the possible outcome of this - and we still have to pay the yearly Site Fees of over £4000 where the mobile is sited, despite no one ever using it, or ever being there. We are absolutely bunkered and just do not know what to do - desperately worried.

Razzy Thu 06-Dec-18 10:59:12

Do you have any English speaking friends on the site who could show people round? Even if you pay them to do so? Have you tried advertising yourself on lots of internet sites? Do you have lots of photos of the home and the site it is on? Could one of your younger family members help with advertising? If no other option, you could go to the press and get them to run a story on your problems which might be good advertising for your sale.

muffinthemoo Thu 06-Dec-18 11:53:21

I am sorry for the understandable distress and worry this is causing you.

Are you willing to recover what you can of the initial outlay, even if the shortfall on the buying price is very great? In that, would even 15 or 20 thousand back of the initial 135 be better than nothing?

Would you consider asking your sales agent to go back to the people who viewed the home previously and tell them you would consider lower offers? It wouldn't require more viewings (probably) - it would be a possibility worth exploring if you need and want to offload it at any cost?

Fennel Thu 06-Dec-18 12:58:02

"She would have done much better if she had bought a second hand home. "
petra that's what I was thinking too. The finances don't add up.
Taking into account currency exchange - £145000 is between 165-180k€.
Which is the price for which we sold our french house in Feb. A large centrally heated 3 bed house with extensive barns and half hectare of land.

Fennel Thu 06-Dec-18 13:42:54

ps and we paid £80k for it 12 years ago.