Gransnet forums

Chat

Secret Santa

(32 Posts)
gillybob Thu 06-Dec-18 09:53:34

We had a Secret Santa at WI last night . I took a bottle of red wine, bottle of white wine and a fancy box of savoury crackers . All nicely wrapped and in a gift bag (marked with an A for containing Alcohol ) some people make a huge fuss if they win alcohol and don’t drink ( I can’t understand why why they wouldn’t just regift it much as a diabetic receiving chocolates or whatever would do ) but anyway........ all the gifts were numbered and we picked a number and were handed the gift representing your number . When my gift was handed to me there was much hilarity . It was the scruffiest wrapped thing you have ever seen . No sellotape keeping it together it was just a ball of screwed up paper . It was half open and practically fell open in my hands . It contained the smelliest scruffy old scarf you have ever seen . On closer inspection it even has a stain on it !

I wasn’t sure whether I was supposed to laugh, I felt so embarrassed as someone in the room had clearly put this in and was watching me open it . I just stuffed it in my bag and stifled a laugh as didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings but couldn’t help look around the room watching everyone thinking “phewwww” I’m so glad I didn’t get that pile of cr*p” grin

What would you have done ?

oldbatty Fri 07-Dec-18 11:24:11

Gilly,it is but also honest!!!

lemongrove Fri 07-Dec-18 15:24:51

gilly if you picked a number ( raffle ticket?) then it can’t have been personal can it?
Very bad luck on you though from somebody either very old who thought the scarf could pass as new, and somebody with a very bad sense of humour.
I only do secret santa with my GN lunch group, and we all end up with lovely presents.
Next year in your WI group don’t spend as much as two bottles of wine.

B9exchange Fri 07-Dec-18 15:58:37

I kind of have the opposite problem, we have a supposed £10 limit, and I try to get as attractive a present as possible for the money, but the ones I have had back are things like a very expensive designer scarf or scented candle. I feel mine is inferior, but at least we don't buy for anyone specific, just put the in the middle of the table, we are all given a number, and when your number comes out of the hat, you choose a wrapped present from the pile. At least it stops those who might seek to humiliate someone (thought our group isn't like that!)

gillybob Fri 07-Dec-18 16:08:54

I didn’t say it was personal at all lemon just very embarrassing . No harm done . Just a bit of a cheek really . It certainly my won’t stop me from putting another nice/generous gift in next year . smile

oldbatty Fri 07-Dec-18 21:29:22

its mean and nasty. one thing to pull out a pair of Union Jack pants ( after a tip off to the recipient) much hilarity.

A mouldy old scarf, not one bit funny.

Kateykrunch Tue 18-Dec-18 15:11:52

I have just retrieved a few hidden presents from the wardrobe, but 1 is in a lovely gift bag and the label says ‘Secret Santa, enjoy’! Now the only mystery is.....what did I take to the party last week where we had Secret Santa, I so hope the gift was appropriate!