Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas Alone in Fact or in Spirit

(11 Posts)
Alexa Wed 12-Dec-18 11:50:17

The many Grans who suffer heartache , loneliness, anxiety, or depression especially on 25 December.

And it's not, of course, just grans suffer in similar ways.

Please don't believe the Christmas lie about how everybody is happy on 25th December. It's a difficult day in so many ways. If Christmas makes you feel unlike everybody else do please think again. You are a normal human being ! Efforts to appear smilingly cheerful are often burdensome, and many, many people are happier when they manage to make 25th December as like a normal day as possible.

I'm not patronising; I myself have been acutely miserable and lonely on 25th December.

Doodle Wed 12-Dec-18 23:13:33

Alexa I expect there are many who feel like you. It can be a lonely day. I am sure there will be many popping into GN for a chat so why not join in. I hope this year will be a better one for you.

silverlining48 Thu 13-Dec-18 09:03:56

You are right Alexa, Christmas Day is hyped as a happy family day with such high expectations, which leaves others,who for whatever reason, feeling even worse.

On a happier Christmassy note I watched the programme about the 4 year olds and older people last night and found it sweet and often moving and admit to shedding a tear, softy that I am.

Wishing all a peaceful relaxing Christmas, and a happy and healthy new year, hopefully there will be something nice on tv.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Dec-18 09:04:28

Alexa, please come join in the Gransnet virtual Christmas party if you are on your own (or even if you're not). We agree, there can be an awful lot of pressure at this time of the year but there's always someone to talk to on the forums. smile

Charleygirl5 Thu 13-Dec-18 09:11:35

I will be around- there is not a lot on TV. I was thinking of painting my bedroom!

MissAdventure Thu 13-Dec-18 09:13:42

I've been thinking I might fit a new bath panel.

Anniebach Thu 13-Dec-18 09:16:21

I have my annual tv. viewing lined up. Larkrise to Candleford, Ballykissangel and Casablanca .

oldbatty Fri 14-Dec-18 08:48:49

It's a day. It begins and ends like any other.

Grandma70s Fri 14-Dec-18 09:37:33

There’s some very good TV in the evening on Christmas Day. Swan Lake, Call the Midwife and Upstart Crow. Unfortunately they’re all on at roughly the same time.

glammanana Fri 14-Dec-18 09:46:44

Grandma70s Can you not watch them on TV Catch up and enjoy them on Boxing day.

RosieLeah Fri 14-Dec-18 11:35:29

I shall be spending Christmas alone. While I would much prefer to be with my children, they all live abroad so it isn't possible. However, I shall still enjoy it. I'm putting up the tree this week-end, I've already bought a load of chocolate, and will be having a proper Christmas dinner. Those who don't wish to be alone can surely pop along to the Salvation Army or some other charity, and lend a hand. No point sitting feeling sorry for yourself, what does that achieve?