Gransnet forums

Chat

And the award for "The Most Stupid Question" goes to.........

(281 Posts)
phoenix Mon 17-Dec-18 22:38:57

Mr P!

I phoned him recently to say that he would need to drive to were I work, because I couldn't get all of the Amazon delivery parcels in my car.

He asked "why?"

Errm, because the parcels were quite large, and my car (a Smart Roadster) is very small. tchconfused

Then, 2 days later in Lidl, when we had a 6 pack bottle of water in the shopping, I said "I may have to open one of those in a minute"

Again he asked "Why?"

I could have replied that I had forgotten to have a shower before coming out, and was worried that my personal hygiene might not be up to standard, or that my skin was suddenly feeling so dry that only an instant topical application of water would save me from becoming a wrinkled old crone that very moment, but it was actually because I was thirsty!

And breathe...................

GrannyMosh Tue 18-Dec-18 10:43:54

And how does Grandad1943 know you criticise your other half behind their back? I'm willing to bet my last Rolo that nothing gets said here that hasn't been said to their face a thousand times or more. Or maybe the original post was too close to home....

KatyK Tue 18-Dec-18 10:46:39

Well my DH knows all my quibbles with him. Nothing is done behind his back. When he said he would fix the shower himself, I said 'oh no' and he just laughed.

dragonfly46 Tue 18-Dec-18 10:53:20

Well we have been married for 50 years and in all that time my DH has a stock answer to the question - Shall we do or go to ........- We could do, he always answers.
I feel like saying yes I know we could do but do you want to!
Bless him.

TerriBull Tue 18-Dec-18 10:56:08

GrannyMosh, Bonhomie and a gentle ribbing, borne out of knowing one's other half's foibles from a lifetime of living with them is not permissible, if one puts a negative male stereotypical slant on that Did you know that??? Never mind that women have been putting up with all of this since the beginning of time and worse. TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT (big shouty voice) for emphasis. Away to the Gulags with you!

lizzypopbottle Tue 18-Dec-18 10:56:11

"Why?" is a very challenging question word, especially in response to a statement someone has made. It should be used sparingly. I just recommended a book on another thread (something like "Am I too sensitive? " about men being unable to find something unless it's directly in front of them.) The book is called, "Why men don't listen and women can't read maps." by Barbara and Alan Pease. It's a fun read. (It acknowledges that many women are perfectly able to read maps! I didn't write the book so no blaming me, please!)

EllanVannin Tue 18-Dec-18 11:00:51

And some men are as useless as a woodpecker with a rubber beak.

blueskies Tue 18-Dec-18 11:04:06

In the supermarket looking at cakes I heard a twit say to his wife “do I like these?”.

MissAdventure Tue 18-Dec-18 11:10:48

grin

Pittcity Tue 18-Dec-18 11:23:45

Mine is always answering the question, "Are you doing A or B?" with "Yes"......

anitamp1 Tue 18-Dec-18 11:30:24

Annep. My husband is the same. Doesn't listen. And if I'm talking to him and tv is on he has to turn volume off on tv because he can't concentrate on both, and obviously he can't turn me off! Yet he can play a racing game on his computer and watch tv at same time.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 18-Dec-18 11:52:56

Camelotclub' .Patience is a virtue! More like ' a necessity' ?

Dontaskme Tue 18-Dec-18 12:01:36

On telling my OH to take the dirty washing he asked "where do you want it"? Hmmm, let me see now

Overthehills Tue 18-Dec-18 12:01:52

MawBroon and Terribull tchgrintchgrin

Hildagard Tue 18-Dec-18 12:06:15

Thank you for a morning giggle?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 18-Dec-18 12:11:59

This thread has made me laugh out loud during my break from wrapping gifts ???

Mr GG is probably guilty of 75% of previous posts.

My favourite thing he says frequently is when I come downstairs dressed in gym clothes and putting my trainers on he inevitably asks “what are you doing today”? I just look stern and then burst out laughing ?

Hildagard Tue 18-Dec-18 12:15:01

Just remembered one of other half annoying habits, not yes or no answer just a maybe!! Keeping his options open in case he only half listened?

jangeo44 Tue 18-Dec-18 12:15:10

MissAdventure - think you may be talking about my husband - thing he usually says lol

Caledonai14 Tue 18-Dec-18 12:19:42

Oh my goodness! What a brilliant thread. Thanks Phoenix. I recognise Mr C in almost every second post. I'm in there with you lasses quite a bit as well. A GSOH helps in both directions and I'm so glad we aren't the only ones. tchgrin

aggie Tue 18-Dec-18 12:21:41

It isn't just the older generation , my DS2 answers What ? to every thing I say , no , he isn't deaf , it is something he has done since a guilty teenager . I don't repeat myself , just look at him and the answer comes eventually , when he has time to think up a plausible reply wink

MissAdventure Tue 18-Dec-18 12:37:23

Grandson says "wait, what?"
I think its a new way of speaking for cool kids.

Hellsgrandad Tue 18-Dec-18 12:55:11

I've been reading through this thread with absolute disbelief. Why are so many of you so insulting and disparaging of your men?
You really don't deserve us!

Izabella Tue 18-Dec-18 13:01:32

I too got that the other day Grannygravy. Dressed in padded capris, cycling jacket, helmet, gloves and neck warmer!! Admittedly I still had the slippers on, but the cycling shoes were the next to be put on before I went cycling. I really did not think it warranted the 'oh are you going for a ride darling' comment. However I do hold my hands up to the fact I cannot read a map - however that is due to a recognised developmental disorder.

Sheilasue Tue 18-Dec-18 13:18:55

Bloody difficult ain’t they.

marionk Tue 18-Dec-18 13:22:08

Not only my DH stating the obvious in our house, but now Google Home is as it as well! Asked to play BBC Radion 4 she tells me she is streaming it from the BBC......

Billybob4491 Tue 18-Dec-18 13:31:13

Despite being married for 55 years my husband still asks me if I take sugar in my tea!