Gransnet forums

Chat

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

(88 Posts)
Nanawind Tue 25-Dec-18 23:19:44

This morning I was upset having only received a card but no present from either DH,DD or DS. I wanted to go in guns blazing about how hurt and disappointed I was. Then I read a thread posted about a little rhyme saying not everyone is my enemy so don't fight them.
I'm so glad I didn't say anything as after lunch we walked around to our sons home and they asked me to get something out of the garage. DD and family were there as well.
All the family followed me outside. I went in the garage and there was a brand new Mini in bright red. I have never had my own car.
They all started to cheer as this was my present from them all. It's also part birthday as well. I'm so happy.

Buntybunny21 Wed 26-Dec-18 10:23:20

How wonderful, happy driving, keep safesmile

Nanny123 Wed 26-Dec-18 10:30:40

Wow thats amazing. I was the same yesterday. Didn’t receive anything from hubby until lunchtime we were all sitting there and he handed me an envelope and inside were tickets to go and see II Divo next June.

Enjoy your new car.

Katekeeprunning Wed 26-Dec-18 10:36:36

Oh my goodness how fabulous. Thank god you didn't say anything. I don't think I could have stopped myself from dropping a few sarcastic comments if I had been you

grannytotwins Wed 26-Dec-18 10:39:36

What a wonderful thing to do! I would love to have my own car. I don’t know if I could have bitten my tongue earlier before the surprise though. You did so well to cover up your disappointment. Enjoy driving!

Legs55 Wed 26-Dec-18 10:40:03

What a wonderful & thoughtful family, enjoy many years driving around. Good job you hid your disappointment earlier in the day. thlsmile

Buffybee Wed 26-Dec-18 10:51:16

What a brilliant surprise!
I bet you were ?beaming!
Enjoy!

Nanawind Wed 26-Dec-18 10:58:36

It seems that when I had just come out of hospital early this year, DGD's and I were talking about surprises. I can't remember saying (might of been the drugs) I would like a red car. They had told our DD and DS. They discussed it with their dad. These girls are 11,11 and 10, I'm surprised that they kept it secret for so long.
The dice are fitted, dogs in the back window and sticker on the screen. Those 3 had the first ride, then the 2 DGS's.

JudiDrench Wed 26-Dec-18 11:01:42

Lovely! A neighbour has a new red Mini and it looks really stunning.

Dianehillbilly1957 Wed 26-Dec-18 11:03:37

Brilliant!! smile

Urmstongran Wed 26-Dec-18 11:05:19

What an amazingly generous gift! What a nice family. I bet the grandchildren were fizzing with excitement when you opened that garage door! I was 47y when I inherited a car of my own. It was years old but I adored the sheer freedom it gave me. I can still remember the pride I had driving my very own car. Just wonderful!
As my dear dad used to say ‘third class driving is better than first class walking’!

Anrol Wed 26-Dec-18 11:08:00

Fabulous. What a lovely family you have. They clearly love you very much. Happy driving ?

jenpax Wed 26-Dec-18 11:27:44

How lovely and what a special gift. A Christmas to remember ?

ReadyMeals Wed 26-Dec-18 11:48:16

Actually it probably wouldn't have been a disaster if the OP had let fly about the disappointment. Sometimes when you're planning a surprise, the more upset the person gets when before the know the surprise, the more fun it is anticipating their reaction when they find out the truth. smile

Teetime Wed 26-Dec-18 12:23:08

Wow now that's a bit of stylish gifting Enjoy !!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 26-Dec-18 12:33:46

Oh nanawind that's fabulous. I've always thought that it's a damn good idea to keep your mouth shut and this proves it! I'm sure you'll treasure it.

M0nica Wed 26-Dec-18 12:40:09

Its not the car or its value, it is having family who love you so much that they would club together to buy you something, you never dreamed of having.

Chewbacca Wed 26-Dec-18 12:56:20

That's right M0nica, that's exactly it!

4allweknow Wed 26-Dec-18 13:12:10

Now that is a present!. You'll never ever again consider uttering a word if you think you have been forgotten in relation to anything. Your and the family's faces would have been a treat, hope someone recorded the occasion for you.

Jane43 Wed 26-Dec-18 13:15:11

What a wonderful, heartwarming story. I hope you enjoy driving your very own car and continue to enjoy your family who sound fabulous.

Chezabella Wed 26-Dec-18 13:28:43

Your lovely family has put a smile on my face Nanawind, what a fabulous present! Happy Birthday!

ShellyBee Wed 26-Dec-18 13:30:49

How lovely - what a great family you must have, all working together for such a fantastic gift!

HurdyGurdy Wed 26-Dec-18 13:52:46

What a wonderful surprise for you.

That actually brought a lump to my throat.

I hope you have many many happy motoring miles to come

Purplepoppies Wed 26-Dec-18 13:52:59

Such a wonderful surprise for you. What a very special family you have ?

Cobweb01 Wed 26-Dec-18 13:59:45

That's amazing - what a wonderful family you have. Merry Christmas!

Saggi Wed 26-Dec-18 13:59:47

Oh nanawind...lucky you bit your tongue there isn’t it! What a wonderful family you must have. Enjoy.