Gransnet forums

Chat

I was a 'Bit Deaf'

(59 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 03-Jan-19 12:46:26

As a consequence of being a bit deaf, I decided to have a hearing test, and was fitted with aids yesterday.
I seem to be having a few teething problems, so would be grateful if anyone who wears them could help.

Astelle29 Fri 04-Jan-19 20:20:01

I have recently been fitted with a hearing aid on N.H.S. as I am completely deaf in one ear. It is set up so that I can change it on my mobile phone to which ever situation I am in, noisy environment or universal, it is so easy
to use, better than trying too press the button on hearing aid.

newist Fri 04-Jan-19 20:42:38

I have had my NHS hearing aids for about 3 years, I had most trouble hearing ladies voices, the pitch of them apparently, I can hear things I had forgotten about, Clocks ticking, my cats purring, I asked the lady who fitted them how much would they cost, she said about £1500 each, I have never had any trouble with them and the batteries are free, I would highly recommend them

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 21:03:11

I did hear birdsong today, and it made me jump.
It was such an intricate tune too.
So, I looked up and saw a bird I haven't ever noticed before. smile

newist Fri 04-Jan-19 21:23:33

Thats what blew me away, I hadn't noticed I couldn't hear, then a senses I didn't know I had lost woke up, its lovely if you can find a quite spot, just to listen

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 21:33:13

I'll have to wear less noisy trousers if I want somewhere quiet. smile

Ruby41 Sat 05-Jan-19 16:08:26

I don't wear my aids too often and this was a recent experience at my local petrol station while wearing them,having filled up and gone in to pay. Hear very loud beeps - fire alarm??
Me: What's that?
Cashier: That's the sound we hear when a customer starts filling up with petrol.
Me: Goodness, it must drive you crazy, hearing that all day!
Exit me accompanied by look of extreme puzzlement on Cashier's face!

Franbern Sat 05-Jan-19 18:10:26

I have used hearing aids in both ears for several years, even so when I was given new ones last year, my brain still need to adjust to them and everything seemed horrifically loud for the first few days. I put them in when I get washed and dressed in the morning and they stay in until I go to bed. I do have problems with itchiness and use the olive oil stuff that is used before having your ears syringed. This I just dab on a finger and moisten the outside of the ear.

fluttERBY123 Sat 05-Jan-19 22:32:23

How to mislay hearing aids -

1.Take one out to listen better on the phone and not notice where you put it.

2. Try to change your clothes with them on - the clothes shear them off.

3. Put up your hood ij the rain, same as changing clothes, that's how I lost one in the car park.