Gransnet forums

Chat

Wetherspoons Food

(87 Posts)
Teetime Thu 03-Jan-19 14:19:03

Our local 'spoons' has closed because some has crashed their car into the kitchen causing a lot of damage - Freudian do you think?

ninathenana Thu 03-Jan-19 14:35:30

Our local 'spoons' isn't half bad for what it is.

MissAdventure Thu 03-Jan-19 14:48:42

I've eaten at two different ones and enjoyed them both.
I don't understand why they're frowned on by some, and that's genuine puzzlement.

BlueBelle Thu 03-Jan-19 14:52:43

Some of it may be a class thing as Wetherspoons is looked on as chavvy also lots of political tension over Brexit etc

MissAdventure Thu 03-Jan-19 14:54:21

Ah ok, thanks bluebelle.
I didn't know any of that.

FarNorth Thu 03-Jan-19 14:55:25

I think it gives very good value food. I expect it varies from place to place, depending on the staff.
Ours is very popular in the daytime with older folk.

Nanawind Thu 03-Jan-19 14:56:42

We always find a weatherspoons when shopping for a cheap but good coffee. A lot cheaper than Costa etc. Only £1.20 a large cup and as many refills as wanted.

FarNorth Thu 03-Jan-19 14:57:28

They do have magazines on the tables giving the owner's pro-Brexit views. It's not compulsory to agree with those, tho.

MissAdventure Thu 03-Jan-19 14:59:24

I'm a bit of an old stick in the mud, foodwise.
I love well cooked, large portions of traditional food.

KatyK Thu 03-Jan-19 15:02:04

We are regulars at Wetherspoons. We have stayed in their hotel too which are great. Certain members of our family make fun of us for loving Wetherspoons. Gone are the days when they attracted drunks because of the cheap booze.

Teetime Thu 03-Jan-19 15:28:00

I was joking! Wish we had a duh emoji. We often have lunch there.

Gonegirl Thu 03-Jan-19 15:38:06

I think their food is enjoyable, but has anyone read the calorie content? ?

petra Thu 03-Jan-19 15:39:27

The brandy is cheaper, now that he's importing it from the US and Australia.
I once complained that the food had taken a long time to be served. No arguments, refunded the price (8people) plus a voucher.

Nonnie Thu 03-Jan-19 15:40:23

I think it may depend on where they are. I once went in a city one and it was loud with lots of fruit machines. When we lived in a rural area they took over an established hotel and it was lovely. The ladies loo won a national award. Used to take DH there for a full English breakfast on Fathers' Day and it was excellent. It also had a nice outside area.

Nonnie Thu 03-Jan-19 15:41:46

Is it possible the owner is so in favour of Brexit because he knows we will all be poorer and won't be able to afford more expensive restaurants? grin

seacliff Thu 03-Jan-19 15:48:54

I agree it depends on the particular establishment. One on a city near us is always heaving with young trendy and very loud people. It's very popular but not the place for a peaceful lunch.

Another in a market town is in an old pub, very well Good for a nice strong coffee and a snack at lunchtime. I wouldn't rate them for the greatest of home cooked food.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 15:51:49

We don't go very often but have been to good ones and poor ones.

Brexit? I had no clue that the owner had any views and if so, I'm not interested, I would go for the food, and apparently the beer is reasonably priced.

janipat Thu 03-Jan-19 15:52:03

Bit of trivia, every Spoons has it's own individually designed carpet. Agree about the coffee, best value around.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 15:58:59

Something else I didn't know!!

Nonnie Thu 03-Jan-19 16:00:19

Jalima I wonder how you missed it. Tim Martin has been very vocal. Perhaps you have the ability to tune it all out? Unfortunately I'm a news junkie so can't do that. grin

FarNorth Thu 03-Jan-19 16:00:40

That's interesting, janipat. Must have a look at the carpet next time I'm in.

I like how wetherspoons establishments keep the character of the building they are in.

Divawithattitude Thu 03-Jan-19 16:01:46

Not keen on the concept or the food, yes its cheap but generally poor quality, mostly frozen and deep fried, hard to find something healthy on the menus!!

So much for buying no European wines or beers, they still use French butter!!

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 16:05:48

generally poor quality,

We've had excellent food and rather poor food.

MissAdventure Thu 03-Jan-19 16:05:59

So, do we scurry in unnoticed by anyone who knows us?
A bit like shopping in Aldis?

ania123 Thu 03-Jan-19 16:07:35

We have an excellent ‘spoons in town. It’s in a really old hotel building that has been beautifully restored. Excellent value for money.
I take great pleasure in hiding the pro-Brexit propaganda magazines!!