Gransnet forums

Chat

Wetherspoons Food

(88 Posts)
Teetime Thu 03-Jan-19 14:19:03

Our local 'spoons' has closed because some has crashed their car into the kitchen causing a lot of damage - Freudian do you think?

BlueBelle Thu 03-Jan-19 16:08:43

Yes he’s quite a hypocrite with his politics
like others Ive had good food although one very poor meal last year that went back but the new one wasn’t much different
The coffee is good and cheap and offers refills Ours is so loud and noisy that you really can’t hear yourself think It’s full every day of the week mostly with non working people
and young mums with prams and pushchairs

Divawithattitude Thu 03-Jan-19 16:11:34

if you look at the menus the vast majority of the offerings are deep fried, cheap sausages and bacon are used, burgers are greasy. Yes it is cheap, its edible, but its not what I would choose to eat, I would far rather fo to the small independent coffee shop in our little market town who make their own cakes and use local butchers sausages and bacon for their meals. My 92 yea rold Dad loves it, he loves a bargain and fish and chips plus a pint for 7.99 is unbeatable!!

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 16:13:50

if you look at the menus the vast majority of the offerings are deep fried, cheap sausages and bacon are used, burgers are greasy.
Really? I haven't tried their breakfasts although I know people who do.

I've never eaten a burger when I've been out anywhere.

MissAdventure Thu 03-Jan-19 16:15:05

I can't imagine what I must have eaten there, because I genuinely don't eat burgers or sausages and such like. Or fish.
Veggie meal, maybe.

Izabella Thu 03-Jan-19 16:15:58

It is the busiest place in our town

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 16:20:07

They do a mushroom risotto, a vegetarian curry, vegetable lasagne, halloumi and sweet chilli wrap, quinoa salad, lods of vegetarian options - plus they state the calorific content and whether or not it is vegetarian, gf etc, which is more than a lot of places do. And, if they do, it is sometimes not gf.

How do I know? Because I just downloaded the menu from one not that far from us grin
Must visit again, it must be a year since we visited.

BlueBelle Thu 03-Jan-19 16:20:08

They do a reasonable tikka masala with popadoms and baan bread fish and chips is ok
I don’t do burgers either it’s not my favourite place to eat but it’s not the worst by far

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 16:20:32

lods? loads

seacliff Thu 03-Jan-19 16:23:15

I like the halloumi wraps.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 16:23:46

perhaps we're chavs, Bluebelle wink
along with other posters on here grin

but has anyone read the calorie content?
yes, which is good because so many places don't tell you!

Tim Martin has been very vocal.
Who, Nonnie?
So who is Mr Wetherspoon then?

Nonnie Thu 03-Jan-19 16:42:17

Jalima he is Mr Weatherspoon!!!

I don't think DH would agree that the sausages are poor and certainly not the bacon. He did think the eggs were a bit small but as there were two he didn't mind. He would consider himself of connoisseur of the FEB so his annual trip for breakfast matters to him! Again, I suspect some are better than others.

KatyK Thu 03-Jan-19 17:21:42

The one we use hasn't got carpets. It has shiny wooden floors and is modern and trendy. I believe they have a gluten free menu if you ask. I like the fact that all menu items have the calorie content on them.

Melanieeastanglia Thu 03-Jan-19 17:23:41

Wetherspoons is fine for a quick and cheap meal. I don't say I'd go there for an evening out.

phoenix Thu 03-Jan-19 17:32:16

When Mr P was living away for work, he found Wetherspoons provided a good evening meal at a decent price, and a much better range of options than the various takeaway outlets.

Dontaskme Thu 03-Jan-19 17:43:26

We love their veggie breakfast and have one quite often. With refills of tea and coffee its less than a tenner for both of us and very filling. Not at all greasy. Not at all chavvy. Have also had the vegetarian burger with chips at lunch and again very happy with that too. Need to go there on Sunday for breakfast now I'm thinking about it smile

sodapop Thu 03-Jan-19 17:51:04

I think as others have said they do vary from place to place. My grandson worked in Wetherspoons for a while in the kitchen, I don't eat there smile

mumofmadboys Thu 03-Jan-19 18:07:19

Cheap and cheerful.You get what you pay for.

Bikerhiker Thu 03-Jan-19 18:20:10

Cheap and cheerful. Doesn't exclude anyone. A meal and a pint for under a tenner.
I also like that some of the old hotels they take over are given a new lease of life and their history is preserved.

Maggiemaybe Thu 03-Jan-19 18:31:21

I think you sometimes get more than you pay for, actually. Two of our three local ones get very good reviews. The other is a bit rough, to be honest, but due more to its location than anything else.

A branch near the Tower of London became our local when we spent a few nights in London for the Olympics. We had to shell out a small fortune for a decent hotel and the Weatherspoons on the corner was a real lifesaver with a good choice of breakfasts and evening meals, screens for the events we weren’t attending and a great atmosphere. I certainly don’t remember those salads and risottos as

Maggiemaybe Thu 03-Jan-19 18:32:49

being full of cheap or unhealthy ingredients. The beer was pretty good too

Alima Thu 03-Jan-19 18:40:53

What a shame Teetime, Weatherspoons certainly fill a gap. Do they think it was a Remoaner wot done it? We use one when we stay in a Travelodge. Lovely breakfast and refillable coffee. If there was one more local to us we would definitely use it. Are they regarded as chavvy by the elite then? Not everyone wants hummus do they?

Esspee Thu 03-Jan-19 18:53:05

A lot of snobby gransnetters on here!
I love their veggie curries and admire that they list the calories for each meal, allowing you to make an informed choice. Very few restaurants do this.

Pittcity Thu 03-Jan-19 19:02:20

The Redbridge GNs meet monthly at 'Spoons in Wanstead. A lovely old pub with coffee, lunch and a drink for a tenner or less.
What's not to like?

petra Thu 03-Jan-19 19:03:51

I'm going to contact Tim RE using French butter
Not on Tim angry

Maggiemaybe Thu 03-Jan-19 19:07:05

A lot of snobby gransnetters on here!

Which ones? confused