Gransnet forums

Chat

Wetherspoons Food

(88 Posts)
Teetime Thu 03-Jan-19 14:19:03

Our local 'spoons' has closed because some has crashed their car into the kitchen causing a lot of damage - Freudian do you think?

Chewbacca Thu 03-Jan-19 20:32:35

I love well cooked, large portions of traditional food

And I'd add at a reasonable price too. Spoons delivers this. Ok it isn't haute cuisine but if that's what you're looking for, you wouldn't choose Spoons would you? But if you're looking for a quick lunch; reasonable price; welcomes everyone with a smile and the kitchens are clean and hygienic, what's not to like?

Lynne59 Thu 03-Jan-19 20:30:58

BlueBelle Thu 03-Jan-19 14:52:43

Some of it may be a class thing as Wetherspoons is looked on as chavvy

Lynne59 Thu 03-Jan-19 20:29:49

I go there with my eldest son and his 2 little girls every Wednesday. The food is not bad - we usually have a jacket potato with tuna or chilli, and the children have a pudding after their meal. A drink each, and the whole lot comes to about £20, £25.

SueDonim Thu 03-Jan-19 20:26:00

We don't have a local 'Spoons but I've been to some round the country and they've been fine. I always look at the carpets and try to work out what they're representing!

My son works near one of the first Wetherspoon's and Tim Martin is often in there, keeping a close eye on how it's being run. Also, most of them don't have piped music, which is a blessing to those of us who prefer not to have their ears assaulted by muzak.

GabriellaG54 Thu 03-Jan-19 20:25:56

Divawithattitude
Don't believe all you read, is a thought to keep in mind.

phoenix Thu 03-Jan-19 20:24:09

Chavvy has been mentioned, but only in the context of "some may think it as chavvy" (or words to that effect) no one on here said that they thought Wetherspoons was chavvy!

GabriellaG54 Thu 03-Jan-19 20:23:01

Some people really are divas winkgrin

GabriellaG54 Thu 03-Jan-19 20:21:21

I like Wetherspoons and have sampled their fare in Cardiff, Bath, Ryde, Guildford, Godalming, Woking, 4 in London, Bristol and Chichester along with many others.
Never had a bad one, breakfast, lunch or evening. Lots of the food is organic, they routinely have 5* hygiene ratings and they've won masses of awards...especially for their toilets.
Staff regularly do stuff for charity and they have an interesting magazine which keeps you up-to- date with their news.
They also have robust cctv in and outside the premises.
Prices are excellent, portions satisfying and service is 98% great when I've visited.
What's not to like?

Divawithattitude Thu 03-Jan-19 20:09:09

I dont think anyone mentioned Chavvy at all, and I dont think its snobbery either. If I eat out I want to eat good quality food, sausages being a great example: I like a sausage that you can taste the meat in rather than reformed pulp which has been deep fried. We have a new Wetherspoons in our town, its very popular and has its own type of customers.
I do worry that it may close some of the lovely little cafes in the town that are privately owned and run and struggle to compete on price. I have also read that they keep drink prices, specifically beer, low by selling stock that is close to its sell by date and has been bought cheaply, a little research seems to confirm that this is indeed the case.

KatyK Thu 03-Jan-19 19:21:57

Our local one is lovely too. I have a friend who goes pale if anyone suggests going to Wetherspoons. She doesn't drink and frowns upon those who do. She still thinks of the Spoons of the old days, when they attracted what she terms 'low life'.

petra Thu 03-Jan-19 19:12:06

I wouldn't call this chavvy. This is our local weatherspoons
www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=CtCwrcYs&id=B43D4E71ED29712EA001B3DC54531DAA8AD054E2&thid=OIP.CtCwrcYsrogXJeUK6g0FAQHaE7&q=parsons+barn+shoeburyness&simid=608035915864671726&selectedIndex=21&qpvt=parsons+barn+shoeburyness

KatyK Thu 03-Jan-19 19:09:19

I'm surprised Tim uses French butter. He is removing lots of French champagne, beers and German beers from his pubs when their present contracts run out.

Maggiemaybe Thu 03-Jan-19 19:07:05

A lot of snobby gransnetters on here!

Which ones? confused

petra Thu 03-Jan-19 19:03:51

I'm going to contact Tim RE using French butter
Not on Tim angry

Pittcity Thu 03-Jan-19 19:02:20

The Redbridge GNs meet monthly at 'Spoons in Wanstead. A lovely old pub with coffee, lunch and a drink for a tenner or less.
What's not to like?

Esspee Thu 03-Jan-19 18:53:05

A lot of snobby gransnetters on here!
I love their veggie curries and admire that they list the calories for each meal, allowing you to make an informed choice. Very few restaurants do this.

Alima Thu 03-Jan-19 18:40:53

What a shame Teetime, Weatherspoons certainly fill a gap. Do they think it was a Remoaner wot done it? We use one when we stay in a Travelodge. Lovely breakfast and refillable coffee. If there was one more local to us we would definitely use it. Are they regarded as chavvy by the elite then? Not everyone wants hummus do they?

Maggiemaybe Thu 03-Jan-19 18:32:49

being full of cheap or unhealthy ingredients. The beer was pretty good too

Maggiemaybe Thu 03-Jan-19 18:31:21

I think you sometimes get more than you pay for, actually. Two of our three local ones get very good reviews. The other is a bit rough, to be honest, but due more to its location than anything else.

A branch near the Tower of London became our local when we spent a few nights in London for the Olympics. We had to shell out a small fortune for a decent hotel and the Weatherspoons on the corner was a real lifesaver with a good choice of breakfasts and evening meals, screens for the events we weren’t attending and a great atmosphere. I certainly don’t remember those salads and risottos as

Bikerhiker Thu 03-Jan-19 18:20:10

Cheap and cheerful. Doesn't exclude anyone. A meal and a pint for under a tenner.
I also like that some of the old hotels they take over are given a new lease of life and their history is preserved.

mumofmadboys Thu 03-Jan-19 18:07:19

Cheap and cheerful.You get what you pay for.

sodapop Thu 03-Jan-19 17:51:04

I think as others have said they do vary from place to place. My grandson worked in Wetherspoons for a while in the kitchen, I don't eat there smile

Dontaskme Thu 03-Jan-19 17:43:26

We love their veggie breakfast and have one quite often. With refills of tea and coffee its less than a tenner for both of us and very filling. Not at all greasy. Not at all chavvy. Have also had the vegetarian burger with chips at lunch and again very happy with that too. Need to go there on Sunday for breakfast now I'm thinking about it smile

phoenix Thu 03-Jan-19 17:32:16

When Mr P was living away for work, he found Wetherspoons provided a good evening meal at a decent price, and a much better range of options than the various takeaway outlets.

Melanieeastanglia Thu 03-Jan-19 17:23:41

Wetherspoons is fine for a quick and cheap meal. I don't say I'd go there for an evening out.