Gransnet forums

Chat

Wetherspoons Food

(88 Posts)
Teetime Thu 03-Jan-19 14:19:03

Our local 'spoons' has closed because some has crashed their car into the kitchen causing a lot of damage - Freudian do you think?

Franbern Fri 04-Jan-19 10:59:48

We hold our monthly Redbridge Meet-up in a Wetherspoons and much appreciate the facility of paying just £1.25p for a mug and then being able to refill it as much as each person wishes for tea, coffee, etc. etc. Most of us usually purchase lunch there also, and have found that the small portions are ideal.
However, I was most disappointed in their Christmas meal which we booked for our December meet-up. Although not expensive it was not very edible either. Would never have another one of these.
Interesting (to me) the day following that, I and a friend had a meal in a Toby Inn Carvery for almost the same price as the one on Westherspoons. So very much better in every way.

trisher Fri 04-Jan-19 10:50:19

Wetherspoons are great. Much as I dislike the man's politics the concept is good. I like the way he rescues old buildings and how they post historic information about the building and the area. The food is usually good, it's not fine dining but it is reasonably priced. The breakfast is great and so is the coffee. My DGD loves the cheesy pasta but DGS goes for the hot dog and sweetcorn. The teenage DGS always wants a burger! I've had worse meals and paid more for them.

henetha Fri 04-Jan-19 10:42:48

I've been in vaious Wetherspoons and they do vary but are generally very good and I like the reasonable prices. And I like the atmosphere. They are the only pubs that I would go into alone. Our local one is very good.

Jangran99 Fri 04-Jan-19 09:42:47

I think that local café owners may be putting pressure on the council.
To do what?
Increased footfall could have a positive effect on businesses other than hospitality.
People will vote with their feet and that's all the survey will show.

Divawithattitude Fri 04-Jan-19 09:27:30

Im not sure what they see as the value of the survey. There was supposedly opposition from local businesses to the pub chain opening, but it looks as if it has actually bought people into the town. I think that local café owners may be putting pressure on the council.

I absolutely agree about the beer, although I do find it interesting that Wetherspoons are no longer stocking European beers and wines where ever possible.

Jangran99 Fri 04-Jan-19 09:03:18

the local council are currently surveying them to see if the new Wetherspoons has made a difference to their trade
And then what?
The one in Glasgow near Central station is great for a good early breakfast ,much used by commuters of all ages. As for use by date, is it not better than to waste good food?

Divawithattitude Thu 03-Jan-19 22:45:31

Petra, yes I know, I'm not saying its a bad thing but it makes it hard for small independents to compete on drink prices.

We have some lovely little places in town and the local council are currently surveying them to see if the new Wetherspoons has made a difference to their trade. One has recently closed and become take away only.

Divawithattitude Thu 03-Jan-19 22:42:00

Jalima, please tell me then, what am I missing?

Gabriella thank you for your obviously genuine and heartfelt apology!!

Blinko Thu 03-Jan-19 22:25:46

The one in Oxford is called The Four Candles...

seacliff Thu 03-Jan-19 21:52:43

I've just realised that our local Suffolk Gransnetters have had several enjoyable meet ups at Wetherspoons in Beccles.

It's an attractive large listed building in the centre of this market town. It was an old coaching inn. Great to see it is still going strong.

GabriellaG54 Thu 03-Jan-19 21:27:35

Divawithattitude
Oh dear!
Bitchy? ? ????
I'm so sorry to have upset you.
Please accept my apology...??

petra Thu 03-Jan-19 21:20:35

Divawithattitude
It's always been known that Tim Martin built the business on near sell by date and in the process has passed that saving on.
Lots of businesses in the hospitality industry are very envious of his success.

Alima Thu 03-Jan-19 21:12:45

I have been to a couple of Weatherspoons that were previously banks. Shame they haven’t bought up the empty HSBC in out town. It would be a darn sight more useful and look much better.

Purpledaffodil Thu 03-Jan-19 21:09:09

We stayed at a recently refurbished Wetherspoons hotel last summer when visiting DS2. It was beautifully done and even had aircon which was wonderful in such a hot summer. Breakfast was excellent too.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 20:59:40

Jalima, am I missing something here?
Probably
its very popular and has its own type of customers.

Sorry, I thought it did sound derogatory when coupled with the snobbery comment
Perhaps it wasn't meant like that.

I wondered what its own type of customer meant exactly, seeing that so many gransnetters on this thread seem to frequent Wetherspoons hostelries.

KatyK Thu 03-Jan-19 20:55:49

I agree Jalima One of ours was originally a cinema and they have kept the same name and have pictures of many of the managers and staff from years gone by on the walls. It's lovely.

Divawithattitude Thu 03-Jan-19 20:54:07

Jalima, am I missing something here?
Yes it has its own type of customer, young mums who want to meet up for a coffee, workers who want cheap food served quickly, I certainly dont mean this in a dergatory sense but you seem to be wanting to read something in to my comments, why is that?

MissAdventure Thu 03-Jan-19 20:52:59

As long as the beer is in date.
People are going to drink it, not stand looking at it for 5 weeks.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 20:52:54

Gabriella we ate at the one in Portishead a while ago and it wasn't great, which was a pity because it's a nice new one in the revitalised marina area.
However, perhaps it's improved since then.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 20:50:04

its very popular and has its own type of customers.
I dont think its snobbery either.
grin grin grin

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 20:47:24

bikerhiker I read your post after I posted - yes, I agree re giving the old hotels a new lease of life.

dizzyblonde Thu 03-Jan-19 20:46:57

I like the idea of buying up short date beer, it avoids waste and as they have a high turnover it gets used quickly. We used to live opposite to one and had no problems with it. We used to go over for lunch every month or so for what DH calls a board meeting, us both being directors of his business.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 20:46:07

KatyK one we go to occasionally dates from the 1600s!

I like the fact that some of these chains have bought older premises which may well have fallen into disrepair.

Divawithattitude Thu 03-Jan-19 20:39:48

Gabriella, that was a partiularly bitchy comment to make.

I have also read up about the short date beer and it appears to be true, perhaps you should do the same before commenting as you did.
What a charming welcome back to Gransnet!!

Witzend Thu 03-Jan-19 20:35:45

IMO they're fine for what they are - a chain doing reasonably priced pub grub - nobody in their right mind is going to expect fancier food - and good coffee which is cheaper than the average.

I really like the origin of the name. The bloke who started it apparently had a teacher who told him he'd never amount to anything - the teacher's name was Mr Wetherspoon.
Such a good story, I do hope it's true.