Gransnet forums

Chat

I have never.....!

(117 Posts)
gillyknits Sat 05-Jan-19 15:31:35

This thread may have been on before but I didn’t see it, so forgive me if repeating it.
I was sitting in the car at the petrol station today while my DH filled the tank. It was then that I thought “I’ve never done that.” It started me thinking about other things I’ve never done. Isingand ‘Self serve tills’ was another.
Anyone else got ordinary daily things that they have never ever done?

emilie Sun 06-Jan-19 18:36:07

What are straighteners? Corsets?

AyjayF Sun 06-Jan-19 18:57:36

I have never been in a betting shop.
I've never seen 'The Sound of Music'

sharon103 Sun 06-Jan-19 19:00:30

I'm Jack of all trades. I was left with three children to raise over thirty years ago so didn't have much choice. I'm proud of what I've done in the DIY department but I haven't done any plumbing after I nailed down a loose floorboard and the nail went through the water pipe. Anything that involves water or electricity I'll never touch. I've crawled across the loft a few times years ago to get to the water tank when the ball cock used to stick when we used to have a back boiler. I've been almost to the top of the house on a ladder when the outside walls needed painting. My son finished off. I hate heights and so does he, so you just don't look down. Never again though! A few things I've never done is use self-serve, I really don't like using cash machines unless I have to. I've never learnt to drive and wouldn't want to. I've never been on a plane and don't want to. I've never had a tattoo but wished I had had a little butterfly done on the top of my arm when I was younger. I never learnt to swim, owned a dog ( we have cat's) made a speech, never fallen out with or had a cross word with my best friend of 59 years. Never drank whisky or gin, never taken drugs. Never been perfect. lol

maddyone Sun 06-Jan-19 20:03:44

I have never had a tattoo.
Never taken illegal drugs.
Never been charged, arrested, or convicted of a crime.
Never filled up the screen washer bottle in my car (I know, that’s terrible)
Never taken my car for it’s MOT (more terribleness)
Never been in our loft
Never knitted a garment
Never been divorced or widowed

And lots more ‘nevers’ really, but also lots ‘have dones’

Cabbie21 Sun 06-Jan-19 20:23:23

I have no desire to do the things on my never list, including listing them.

Smurf44 Sun 06-Jan-19 21:22:51

I am just past my mid-60s (?) and am really proud that I have never been drunk
Never smoked a cigarette
And never taken any sort of illegal drugs.
I’m hopeless with electrics and have never changed a plug as that is man’s work!
I’m a dab hand in the garden though and have mown my sloping lawn hundreds of times in 30+ year.
AND I did beat cancer last year as my Lymphoma has now gone, hopefully never to return! grin

OPgrndtr Sun 06-Jan-19 22:47:21

I have never baked bread. I'm a great baker of everything else, and DIY everything for 28 years as a single mom.

Hilltopgran Sun 06-Jan-19 23:09:46

I've been fortunate and achived most of the things I wanted to do so on my never list are things I would not want to do!

Had a tatoo
Read 50 Shades of Grey
Ridden on a motorbike
Been long haul flight of more than 8 hours
Been to the Trafford Centre (apparently I am the only person I know who has not)
Been to a bull fight

I do drive motorways, have ridden horses, climbed mountains, driven in the desert, became a university student for the first time at 50, but the best is being a Grandma.

trendygran Sun 06-Jan-19 23:25:32

I’ve never filled a car with petrol either. I did not have my own car and very rarely drove as just did not enjoy it at all. I sold the car soon after losing my DH as I knew I would barely use it and it would be an expensive item to keep.

Nanna58 Mon 07-Jan-19 00:01:40

I have never been wrong ( only joking!!) ?

Happysexagenarian Mon 07-Jan-19 00:07:23

I've NEVER ....

Been in our loft - hate spiders.
Ridden a bike, never had one
Learned to swim
Been abroad
Smoked or used drugs
Had a manicure or pedicure
Broken any bones (testing fate now!)
Eaten pizza, or anything else with tomatoes in
Changed a tyre

But I CAN and HAVE

Ridden a horse
Used all the tools my husband has including routers, power saws etc.
Do all the wallpapering
Been up in a balloon
Mow the lawn, cut down trees, do the pruning
Cleaned the gutters
Wash the car
Changed plugs, tap washers, unblocked loos and sinks
Broken into my own house
Baked bread
Run my own business
Built 3 computers
Raised 3 wonderful children

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 07-Jan-19 10:23:36

I've never been in an aeroplane.
Bungee jumping,mountain climbing, abseiling or parachute jump (of course I'd have to be in a a plane to do that).
I've never had a professional manicure/pedicure.
I've never owned a dog.
Dived off a board as I hate swimming.

mabon1 Mon 07-Jan-19 17:33:08

Since my husband died I have done all kind of things which I didn't ever think I could or would do.

oldbatty Mon 07-Jan-19 20:21:09

wow Mabon, good for you!

Jaxie Tue 08-Jan-19 11:17:05

You are very fortunate if you can afford to pay someone to clean your house, clip your hedges, mow your lawn, paint your walls, replace the battery in your beeping smoke detector etc, etc. We should train girls in the skills to turn them into self sufficient women, as far as possible. I have to admit though that my fossil computer gets the better of me, so I employ a nice young man to sort it.

Jaxie Tue 08-Jan-19 11:18:13

PS: I have never wrung a chicken's neck: if I had to I would become an instant vegetarian.