Gransnet forums

Chat

I have never.....!

(116 Posts)
gillyknits Sat 05-Jan-19 15:31:35

This thread may have been on before but I didn’t see it, so forgive me if repeating it.
I was sitting in the car at the petrol station today while my DH filled the tank. It was then that I thought “I’ve never done that.” It started me thinking about other things I’ve never done. Isingand ‘Self serve tills’ was another.
Anyone else got ordinary daily things that they have never ever done?

Buffybee Sat 05-Jan-19 15:49:10

Nope! I fill my car with petrol, check and fill the oil and water reserve, check the tyres and put air in.
In the home I bleed radiators and prime the Central Heating boiler, change light bulbs (of course) and wire electric plugs.
When shopping, I use Self serve tills and pay contactless with my Debit card.
I can even put up a shelf!

nanaK54 Sat 05-Jan-19 15:50:56

I have never...….been in our loft, we have lived in this house for forty years grin

tanith Sat 05-Jan-19 15:52:24

Things I haven’t done, used an automated car wash was the only thing that springs to mind but I’m sure there are plenty of others.

DoraMarr Sat 05-Jan-19 15:54:21

Do you drive, gillyknits? I think it’s important to know your way around a car- I’ve even had to change a tyre.

Lilylilo Sat 05-Jan-19 16:04:53

Haha nanaK54 Me neither although I did climb the ladder once about 35 years ago just to peek in!!!!

Chewbacca Sat 05-Jan-19 16:16:33

I have never been in my loft either! Wonder if there's anything up there?

I've never had a fondue or a "chocolate fountain". Am I missing much? hmm

gillyknits Sat 05-Jan-19 16:46:34

No I don’t drive that’s probably why Ive never done the petrol. On another level I can bleed radiators, install washing machine and wire electric plugs ,so I’m not completely useless! ?

Auntieflo Sat 05-Jan-19 16:54:55

I have never ridden a horse.

But, have just been in our loft to put away all the decorations.
I keep thinking I will find a ‘treasure’ one day. ?

hulahoop Sat 05-Jan-19 16:57:36

I have not been In loft I don't like heights ,chewbacca I love fruit dipped in chocolate fountain .

Scribbles Sat 05-Jan-19 17:01:05

I've never had a chocolate fountain, either or been on a hen party or into a betting shop.

Grandma70s Sat 05-Jan-19 17:04:04

If a partner dies or goes for some other reason, it is as well to be capable of doing the things the partner did. When my husband died I didn’t know how to work the central heating, .though I could wire plugs and do a few other things seen then as male territory. There are still men who can’t make a meal or sew on a button - though not in my family!

I’m another who never went in the loft we had for forty years. I’ve never done any household painting. I have very rarely mowed (mown?) a lawn or clipped a hedge.

PECS Sat 05-Jan-19 17:06:42

it is impossible to change a car tyre nowadays! Need a machine to loosen the nuts!

DoraMarr Sat 05-Jan-19 17:12:25

Old car, easy to do, four children sitting in the back on a rainy night, husband away skiiing. Amazing what you can do when you try!

FlexibleFriend Sat 05-Jan-19 17:15:13

I'm very self sufficient and I'm capable of most diy jobs around the house, from fitting a kitchen, refitting a bathroom, boarding out a loft, changing locks etc etc there's not much I can't do but obviously there are things I've never done such as a chocolate fountain because the idea disgusts me.

Nonnie Sat 05-Jan-19 17:20:16

Do you still need to wire plugs? Don't they come fixed these days?

I have put petrol in the tank but hate the smell of petrol so DH does it. There must be other things I don't do but can't think of any at the moment. Don't think I'm particularly practical but I did once dismantle a porch and then dig up the drive with a Kango hammer.

Oh yes, never done any plumbing. Did once go out for the day to leave DH to drain the central heating. When I got home he was still trying to work out the logic of how it worked. I suggested there was a drain on a radiator in the sitting room but he huffed and said it wasn't logical. Guess how he drained it eventually grin. So maybe I could do plumbing if I tried.

Grandma70s Sat 05-Jan-19 17:25:35

Oh, and I’ve never used a sewing machine.

I’ve never kissed a man with a beard.....thank goodness.

MissAdventure Sat 05-Jan-19 17:26:53

I've never been in any lofts, at any time. smile
Too frightening.

MissAdventure Sat 05-Jan-19 17:28:25

I haven't used a sewing machine either.
I've also never made a cake, apart from packet mixes.

Charleygirl5 Sat 05-Jan-19 17:35:14

I have been in my loft years ago but as it is empty there is no necessity nowadays.

I can mow the lawn or trim bushes, but I am useless regarding wiring and I certainly could not plumb in a washing machine.

Using a sewing machine is beyond me. I could paint the inside of my house if I put my mind to it but I usually pay somebody instead.

PECS Sat 05-Jan-19 17:37:26

Grandma70 you missed out wink would not have my man without!

grannyactivist Sat 05-Jan-19 17:52:55

There are lots of things I've never done because I choose to play to my strengths. wink

The Wonderful man can literally turn his hand to anything practical, but he needs me for my social skills and my ability with more cerebral tasks. His marriage proposal was something along those lines! grin

ninathenana Sat 05-Jan-19 17:53:26

I've poked my head through the loft hatch. I regularly fill the car (DH dosen't drive) check the levels and plug in the electric tyre gage.
I've done decorating but not plumbing or wiring except for a plug.
I've never done carpentry unless you include flat pack assembly

oldbatty Sat 05-Jan-19 18:12:39

had my nails done

been to a large sporting event

enjoyed Christmas

bought a lottery ticket

MissAdventure Sat 05-Jan-19 18:14:47

I have never used a pair of straighteners.