Gransnet forums

Chat

To brand or not to brand ?

(30 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Sun 06-Jan-19 11:15:36

I'm interested in your thoughts about buying brand name merchandise for children.

Our 7 year old has recently 'discovered' football which is lovely . He enjoys watching , playing ( once his fractured arm is better) and reading about the teams as well as playing games like Fifa19.

Until now he has expressed no preference for certain brands but recently asked for a Nike shirt and an Adidas shirt for gifts for his birthday and Christmas.

Lucky boy that he is , Mrs Santa obliged and he was thrilled with them as well as a replica kit for a favourite team. He also got some cash.

Now this is the issue - he dearly wants some specific red Adidas trainers. he has the money , given to him to spend as he wished.

His Dad is very against him buying them as he does not want him to be the sort of child who will ONLY wear brand name goods ( which are always substantially dearer than generic brands).

I am of the opinion that its his money and if he chooses to spend it in that way he should be allowed. I think it would be wise to say if you buy this you will spend this , or if you buy this you will spend this. Showing him the differences so he can decide if quantity is better than quality etc.

As yet there has been no indication that he wont wear other things than the branded items.

What do you think? Is this the slippery slope or should he be allowed choice or is 7 too young ?

Craicon Sun 06-Jan-19 11:29:32

I never buy brand names for my 9yr DS as I want him to grow up to understand the value of stuff.
Certainly for footwear, I buy what fits and is good value, if it’s a brand name, that would be immaterial to the decision.

However, it’s up to his parents to make those decisions so I personally wouldn’t get involved.

I don’t advise my older DS on how to parent my DGS. It’s none of my business frankly.

Also, in my view, it’s only ‘his money’ when he’s actually earnt it by working.

stella1949 Sun 06-Jan-19 11:41:07

I'd leave this between him and his Dad. I try to stay out of situations like this one.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Jan-19 11:45:37

Complete waste of money as besides the speed in which children grow and because branded clothes are never generously sized that unless you can sell them on or hand them down to siblings you're going to be forever out of pocket.
I know from experience when I see outgrown expensive clothes which I foolishly bought in the past.

jusnoneed Sun 06-Jan-19 11:52:27

As he has been given the money to spend as he wants then he must be allowed to do just that. If his Dad gently points out that he could buy two or three things with the money but he decided he would rather have one pair of named trainers then he should be able to buy them.
I don't believe it will turn him into a brand only shopper at the age of 7.
But as you say it is up to his parents to advise, though he will have to be careful about how he does it.

jusnoneed Sun 06-Jan-19 11:54:55

'They will have to be careful about how they do it' - you can see I changed Dad to parents lol. Should be a joint parenting job.

M0nica Sun 06-Jan-19 11:59:46

It is the atmosphere in the home and schoolthat will set how he shops in the end. If the home value brands, then he will. If they don't he is less likely to. On the other hand if there is a strong brand conscious football group at school he will want to dress like the others.

DGS is 8 and football mad and I think this issue may arise. For the present he was just happy to get football boots for Christmas, but I can see a time when the same problem will arise, even though his parents are generally indifferent o brands.

merlotgran Sun 06-Jan-19 12:04:09

Yes. I would let his Dad point out the options. They grow out of things so quickly he would only get one season out of them at best so it might be a waste of his precious Christmas money.

The most important thing is for them to grow up knowing the true value of things they are given or buy for themselves. Then hopefully they can make their own informed decisions.

toscalily Sun 06-Jan-19 12:39:39

The problem with expensive trainers at 7 is they may only last him for weeks rather than months, especially if he has a growth spurt. Perhaps try and find an alternative in similar colours that he would find acceptable and gently steer him towards other things he could buy with the money saved.

MissAdventure Sun 06-Jan-19 12:44:06

I think its reasonable to let him choose, as long as he is aware of the cost.
I think most children want what their peers have, regardless of their parents' preferences.

NanaandGrampy Sun 06-Jan-19 12:50:08

Craicon , I haven't advised my SiL or daughter - it was just my opinion in the post. I wouldn't dream of interfering in their parenting.

I also don't believe that not buying brand names will impair his ability to see good value or not. I know - albeit at my age- that I can buy cheap shoes which will not last, be as a good a fit or even as repairable as a brand name I might buy. But then my feet are not growing so there is value in buying the best I can afford I feel at different stages in your life.

I think there is a middle ground to be trodden here - in todays society where brands are pushed at us from all avenues - its important to be able to look at products and decide if there is a case to be made for paying more for one product than another. Its what we do every day , even in the supermarket isn't it?

I agree jusnoneed - how will he ever learn if he cant make his own choices- even bad choices should provide an education.

I think an alternative in the same colour/style Toscalily is a great idea - I'm off to do some googling !!

Thanks for everyone's ideas !

BlueBelle Sun 06-Jan-19 12:57:21

It’s his money so I think he should be allowed to buy what he feels is his choice
Whilst I totally hate brands and wouldnt choose to waste my pennies on them for myself I am guided by my teenage grandkids and feel it’s important for them that I buy what they feel is right for them
If the lad belongs to a group of friends or a footie group and doesn’t want to be the odd one out i m sorry to say it will happen and will only increase as he hits teens and personally I don’t think you can stop it without allianating him from his peers
It is horrendous nowadays for young people and as much as his Dad is fighting it it’s unfair on him if all his mates have Adidas tops and he turns up in a generic one
I

Buffybee Sun 06-Jan-19 12:58:36

In my opinion, if the money has been given to him to choose his own gift, then he should be allowed to buy whichever trainers he wants.
I bought my ten year old Grandson Nike Air trainers for Christmas.
He doesn't dress in branded clothes all the time but a present for Christmas or Birthday is supposed to be a treat and not to subsidize his parents buying his everyday clothes.
Which seems to be what the Op's son wants to do.

MissAdventure Sun 06-Jan-19 13:05:04

I can't see the point of having Christmas money if you're not allowed to have what you want.
Both my grandsons have played football since they were really young, and both wear Adidas trainers.

I think they're not so much a fashion statement; they actually are sturdy and fit for purpose.

janeainsworth Sun 06-Jan-19 13:15:49

I think children should be allowed to spend their own money as they wish.
It’s the only way they learn that once it’s gone, it’s gone, and that if you spend £x on something expensive, you could have got more things if you’d only spent £y on the thing you wanted.
The question hasn’t arisen with DGC, but with DC if they wanted ridiculously expensive trainers, I said I would contribute what I deemed a sensible amount, and they would have to save up or earn the rest.
Sometimes they bought themselves the expensive version and sometimes they didn’t.
It’s interesting that now none of them are particularly into ‘brands’ and all seem sensible with money.

Nanabilly Sun 06-Jan-19 13:42:46

I think it's important to put good shoes on kids feet. Cheap shoes are not designed to give a good fit and are made from poor quality fabrics and can cause problems.
I thought you (OP) was not going to interfere so why are you going to bother googling cheap alternatives. Isn't that interfering , even if you have no intentions of telling dad is it not arming yourself with "evidence" so you can say " I told you say " at the earliest opportunity.???.
Stay out of it and leave dad and son to sort it out .

Luckygirl Sun 06-Jan-19 13:47:14

I remember going to buy shoes with my Mum - it was just one of many bones of contention between us! Torture for us both!

I seriously resent spending money to advertise a company, so avoid brand stuff. What a waste of money!

But if he is given money then he can spend it as he wishes, just as I do my money.

jusnoneed Sun 06-Jan-19 14:16:55

Must admit you do notice the quality difference in most branded stuff compared to cheaper makes. My son ( of an age to pay for his own) buys mostly dearer branded clothing and when I compare his and his Dads cheapie (Matalan etc) stuff often no contest - the brands win on fit/wash/wear comparisons.
He didn't get the brand habit from us that's for sure, when he was young the only named stuff he had was his Man Utd kit (August birthday so perfect for all those "what does he want" questions) and anything that was really good offer in sales. Other than that it was Primark and such like - perhaps that why he hates them today lol.

NanaandGrampy Sun 06-Jan-19 14:17:41

No I don’t consider it interfering Nanabilly , and I would NEVER say I told you so to my SiL. We have a good relationship and I want to keep it that way lol.

However , I see no reason not to educate myself on what’s out there and available . If his Mum and Dad decide he can spend his money on the trainers then it pays to have done my research so I can contribute if asked .

As it happens this came up at Christmas which is how I know how my SiL feels , when he asked my opinion. My daughter feels differently , so it was a very interesting discussion .

NanaandGrampy Sun 06-Jan-19 14:20:32

I think you make a great point jusnoneed about the difference in wear, fit and quality . I know my daughters splashes out on shoes , coats and things with a lot GN wear life. Subsidising those pieces with cheaper one season stuff from Primark etc.

They both say they notice that Next t shirts for instance can be passed down but Primark ones don’t have that life span .

MissAdventure Sun 06-Jan-19 14:29:06

I find that my grandsons actually get a lot of wear from their trainers, as they will wear them all the time if they can get away with it!
They also don't hanker for new ones; they're worn right out before they're discarded.

Neither of them is brand crazy, and I wouldn't encourage it, because I think its ridiculous, but for sporty kids, trainers are a must.

varian Sun 06-Jan-19 14:33:46

I dislike logos, brand names or any kind of writing on clothing. If "designers" or manufacturers want people to walk around advertising their products, they should pay them, not the other way round.

I particularly object to children being exploited in this way, but if a small GC identifies with some cartoon character, perhaps a fancy dress costume or pyjamas might be OK.

Buffybee Sun 06-Jan-19 14:52:33

It's nothing to do with branded clothes.
It's the principal of the thing that is irritating me.
The boy was given money so that he could choose his own gift.
Not so his Father could choose his gift.
It is not the Fathers money to do so.
The boy should be able to buy what he wants.

sodapop Sun 06-Jan-19 15:25:06

My daughter would only pay for basic clothing albeit of good quality. If the children wanted branded items then they used their birthday or Christmas money to make up the difference. They have all grown up with an eye for a bargain and are good at budgeting.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 06-Jan-19 15:49:40

I have always bought "designer" items (clothes/underwear/trainers/shoes etc.) as gifts for AC and GC, a gift should be special not everyday normal.

The GC has received money as a gift, he should be able to spend it as and when he wants, only by being allowed to spend and know when the money is gone it's gone will he get the idea of value and budgeting.