Gransnet forums

Chat

To brand or not to brand ?

(31 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Sun 06-Jan-19 11:15:36

I'm interested in your thoughts about buying brand name merchandise for children.

Our 7 year old has recently 'discovered' football which is lovely . He enjoys watching , playing ( once his fractured arm is better) and reading about the teams as well as playing games like Fifa19.

Until now he has expressed no preference for certain brands but recently asked for a Nike shirt and an Adidas shirt for gifts for his birthday and Christmas.

Lucky boy that he is , Mrs Santa obliged and he was thrilled with them as well as a replica kit for a favourite team. He also got some cash.

Now this is the issue - he dearly wants some specific red Adidas trainers. he has the money , given to him to spend as he wished.

His Dad is very against him buying them as he does not want him to be the sort of child who will ONLY wear brand name goods ( which are always substantially dearer than generic brands).

I am of the opinion that its his money and if he chooses to spend it in that way he should be allowed. I think it would be wise to say if you buy this you will spend this , or if you buy this you will spend this. Showing him the differences so he can decide if quantity is better than quality etc.

As yet there has been no indication that he wont wear other things than the branded items.

What do you think? Is this the slippery slope or should he be allowed choice or is 7 too young ?

Greyduster Sun 06-Jan-19 16:29:00

Football boots are a minefield and the older they get and the more they play, the more expensive it gets. Boots with collars, boots with studs for for soft ground, boots with studs for hard ground, boots for AstroTurf. Boots with just logos, and then there are must have boots sponsored by some heavyweight footballing legend!?‍♀️ Running shoes are the same. Horses for courses, and be prepared to dig deep! It might be cheaper to steer him away from football altogether!!?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 06-Jan-19 16:30:57

Yep Greyduster agree, we steered one of ours away from football, he then got into skateboarding. Wish he had stuck with football!!!!

Melanieeastanglia Sun 06-Jan-19 18:41:48

He will grow out of things quickly at his age so it might be rather a waste of money to buy too many designer items but I think it's for parents to decide and discuss with him.

M0nica Sun 06-Jan-19 18:45:23

Well, I bought a beautiful red velvet shift dress for 11 year old DGD in the sale at a French supermarket. It cost c. £10.

DGD has worn the dress almost every day since she unwrapped it. She doesn't give a toss about the brand, what she loves is that I understand her taste in clothes and she knows that any clothes I buy her will be just right.

I did once get it wrong when she was 5, I bought some lovely grey boots in Sainsbury's and she refused to wear them because they were grey. Fortunately we were able to swap them for the pink(sigh) ones.

Jalima1108 Sun 06-Jan-19 19:41:05

DGD (10) wanted a specific pair of Adidas trainers for Christmas and Grandma Christmas obliged.
I don't think she is into 'brands' particularly, but these trainers look sturdy and sensible - and about the same price as a good pair of school shoes which her parents have to buy.

There's no fun in being given money for Christmas then being told you can't buy what you want!

However, it could be an opportunity for explaining about relative costs, designer or otherwise.

I did the same as janea when my DC were a bit older than that - I would say I'd give them the price of, say, Clark's trainers, if they wanted ridiculously priced designer ones they had to put their own money towards them.