Gransnet forums

Chat

To brand or not to brand ?

(30 Posts)
jusnoneed Sun 06-Jan-19 11:52:27

As he has been given the money to spend as he wants then he must be allowed to do just that. If his Dad gently points out that he could buy two or three things with the money but he decided he would rather have one pair of named trainers then he should be able to buy them.
I don't believe it will turn him into a brand only shopper at the age of 7.
But as you say it is up to his parents to advise, though he will have to be careful about how he does it.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Jan-19 11:45:37

Complete waste of money as besides the speed in which children grow and because branded clothes are never generously sized that unless you can sell them on or hand them down to siblings you're going to be forever out of pocket.
I know from experience when I see outgrown expensive clothes which I foolishly bought in the past.

stella1949 Sun 06-Jan-19 11:41:07

I'd leave this between him and his Dad. I try to stay out of situations like this one.

Craicon Sun 06-Jan-19 11:29:32

I never buy brand names for my 9yr DS as I want him to grow up to understand the value of stuff.
Certainly for footwear, I buy what fits and is good value, if it’s a brand name, that would be immaterial to the decision.

However, it’s up to his parents to make those decisions so I personally wouldn’t get involved.

I don’t advise my older DS on how to parent my DGS. It’s none of my business frankly.

Also, in my view, it’s only ‘his money’ when he’s actually earnt it by working.

NanaandGrampy Sun 06-Jan-19 11:15:36

I'm interested in your thoughts about buying brand name merchandise for children.

Our 7 year old has recently 'discovered' football which is lovely . He enjoys watching , playing ( once his fractured arm is better) and reading about the teams as well as playing games like Fifa19.

Until now he has expressed no preference for certain brands but recently asked for a Nike shirt and an Adidas shirt for gifts for his birthday and Christmas.

Lucky boy that he is , Mrs Santa obliged and he was thrilled with them as well as a replica kit for a favourite team. He also got some cash.

Now this is the issue - he dearly wants some specific red Adidas trainers. he has the money , given to him to spend as he wished.

His Dad is very against him buying them as he does not want him to be the sort of child who will ONLY wear brand name goods ( which are always substantially dearer than generic brands).

I am of the opinion that its his money and if he chooses to spend it in that way he should be allowed. I think it would be wise to say if you buy this you will spend this , or if you buy this you will spend this. Showing him the differences so he can decide if quantity is better than quality etc.

As yet there has been no indication that he wont wear other things than the branded items.

What do you think? Is this the slippery slope or should he be allowed choice or is 7 too young ?