Gransnet forums

Chat

Debenhams and other failing businesses

(59 Posts)
EllanVannin Sat 12-Jan-19 10:17:47

Simple------there are no dedicated nor trained staff any more.
Years ago many large stores held staff training before they opened their doors and this practice was all about the different techniques of selling, treatment of the customer as an individual and generally making sure that you appeared attentive to attend to their needs and meet the demands of the customer.

Shop managers were visible and always on hand to sort out any problems or queries.
Dedication to the job was key and it was the job of the manager to circulate around the store in order to make sure that attention was paid to selling rather than a customer walk out empty-handed.
Courtesy and manners play a huge part in whether a customer returns or not.

It used to be a pleasure shopping in large stores years ago. I was an avid shopper in Lewis's, Liverpool where staff " stood to attention " in readiness to serve their customers. If you were a regular in the store the staff got to know you and you were given that extra bit of service so as a consequence you returned there.
This is not happening now as staff couldn't care less if you were there or not and quite honestly preferred that you weren't while they got on with their conversations as though you were invisible.
It wouldn't have happened years ago !

John Lewis is more the " old style " way of keeping their custom as they strive to give the best customer service and their staff training is an all important part of the thriving business that it is.

Teetime Sat 12-Jan-19 10:12:49

Well JL in Leicester is not very good...long queues, never seems to be anyone on the shoe counter, cosmetics counters only fully manned at weekends, dirty tables in the cafe and clothes wise you either need to be going to a wedding ir going to work

J52 Sat 12-Jan-19 10:12:44

Like others I tend to use JL for shopping.

However, for some cosmetics and toiletries I’ve recently been shopping at Superdrug in a couple of branches.

The staff are well trained, polite and helpful, and never allow a long queue to build up. Plus their club points do actually give you money off.

janeainsworth Sat 12-Jan-19 09:35:12

Crossed posts eazy

janeainsworth Sat 12-Jan-19 09:34:15

People are just voting with their feet and going to John Lewis instead. No customer service problems there.
But I think failing stores are just part of a bigger change in society.
60 years ago far fewer women worked outside the home and had more time to shop during the week and ‘going to town’ was a bit of a treat.
It’s not a treat when you’re at work all week and rushed off your feet juggling a job, childcare and managing a home as well. You just get everything online instead.
John Lewis does that pretty well too.

eazybee Sat 12-Jan-19 09:30:09

I agree.
M & S's standard of service has declined dramatically, some of their staff are indifferent and occasionally actually rude; the click and collect assistant (not busy) refused to check to see if my order had arrived and told me to return after midday, over an hour later; the floor manager found it, apologised and that assistant doesn't work there any longer. In Beales I attempted to buy a specific Lancome mascara, not in stock despite being promoted; the girl couldn't find it and simply shrugged her shoulders when I said I had come in specially (12 mile round journey) making no attempt o sell me another similar product. My family have all been connected with retail, and I have worked in department stores; I am appalled at the poor levels of service being offered in some stores now. I had to ring up the managing director of the store before I could get service in the carpet department, waiting to order a carpet.
I used to complain regularly but now I don't bother; I don't consider going anywhere but John Lewis for good value and excellent service.

Niobe Sat 12-Jan-19 09:15:48

I know what you mean about M&S staff wandering round twitching things while queues build up at the checkout and one customer seems to have a complex transaction. The last time it happened to me I just used my 'teacher voice' to politely ask the twitcher if it would be possible to open another till. Two more were promptly opened. Customers will just have to become more assertive.

craftergran Sat 12-Jan-19 09:09:23

For me I don't get as far as the cash desk in these shops, they just don't stock clothes I want and often you have to walk through the perfume area to get to see the clothing.

Much as I like individual perfumes the smell of the mixed perfumes actually makes me feel ill. It isn't a pleasant experience.

Finally the lighting in some of these shops bounces off the tiled floors and I don't find that pleasant either as I suffer migraines.

Anja Sat 12-Jan-19 08:33:00

The ‘bosses’ of some of these business haven’t a clue just how their shop operate at customer level.,

Take Debenhams as one example. I order quite a bit online and used to use their ‘Click & Collect’ but just recently this pick-up point at our local store doesn’t exist any more. Now you have to queue up for ages at the undermanned tills.

M&S is another store with overlong queues. Plenty of staff in both but they were wandering round adjusting this and that to avoid till duty.

Try buying cosmetics at our local House of Fraser. Lots of staff on various brands but all busy chatting with one another and loath to serve. You can stand there looking around, obviously in need to assistance and be ignored.

Where are the managers in these shops? Are they just sitting in their offices all day? Why aren’t they up and about more often checking that customers are being helped or served?

When I hear that these stores are failing and people are losing their jobs I have to wonder just how much they have contributed to their own demise. I’ve listened to the grumbling from other customers in these shops and queues so it’s not just me who’s prepared to shop elsewhere.