Gransnet forums

Chat

how can i vote in the next election

(137 Posts)
petunia Mon 14-Jan-19 13:44:08

Genuine question. I am so sick of the endless posturing and grandstanding of politicians of all colours, over Brexit. My trust, such as I was, in politicians has sunk to an all time low. My own MP has behaved disgracefully over the whole Brexit issue. I don’t feel that I can support that person any longer. I did write and make my views known. The response was dismissive and patronising. But I cannot bring myself to vote for the other side.
So what are my options here? Do I not vote at all? Or is spoiling my vote a better option.

SueDonim Mon 14-Jan-19 21:24:19

I had assumed I was alone in considering not voting in any future election - it seems I'm not. I've never not voted, it's always been an intrinsic part of me that I vote, because people fought for that right for so long.

Yet now? I think I'd still go to the polling station/return a postal ballot, but I'd spoil it/leave it blank.

How has it come to this? What a tragedy. sad

dragonfly46 Mon 14-Jan-19 21:55:23

It is very tricky. I feel I must vote - women died to make it possible, but there is not one politician I would vote for at the moment.

Blencathra Mon 14-Jan-19 22:11:21

I always vote and will continue to do so but I won’t vote for either of the main parties.

Anja Mon 14-Jan-19 22:36:33

That’s ok those who don’t want to vote. It’s about time us old fogies let the younger generation have a say. We’ve had our day and we are just bed-blockers and a drain on the NHS. Stand aside, stay at home and moan.

paddyann Mon 14-Jan-19 22:45:22

SNP for me ,crime at a 40 year low,reoffending down 19% ,no tuition fees,maternity grants restored ,nursing bursaries restored and increased,pay rises for police and nurses,a decent policy on a REAL living wage and much more .Of course I believe in Independence so they are the only party who will get us that too.I'm just sorry my English family and friends dont have aSNP candidates an dso are they .

Anja Mon 14-Jan-19 22:51:55

So am I paddyann. Could I not stand as a SNP candidate here in the West Midlands perhaps?

Anja Mon 14-Jan-19 22:52:24

I was born in Bellshill ?

Eloethan Tue 15-Jan-19 00:08:46

I will vote Labour.

paddyann Tue 15-Jan-19 00:25:50

Anja most impressive is the fact that there was not ONE death by stabbing in Glasgow in 2017.I believe that London have been having talks with Police Scotland to help with their knife crime problem.If you remember Glasgow was called the murder capital of Europe not so many years ago its a remarkable statistic.
My aunts and cousins are very envious of our SNP ,in fact one cousin is looking for ground up here to build a home ,she was born and bred just outside of Manchester .

Anja Tue 15-Jan-19 05:49:19

paddyann I remember when Glasgow was notorious for its razor gangs.

Grandad1943 Tue 15-Jan-19 06:46:41

I will be very surprised if the Conservative party remains as a single identity by the time of the next Scheduled general election. The splits and ideological divisions now run very deep within the party and a *break up" is now very much on the cards many political analysts now believe.

Already it is difficult to see the Tory party and this government as that single identity in much of its core beliefs and thinking.

crystaltipps Tue 15-Jan-19 06:53:39

I keep thinking some new pro EU party will emerge led by some charismatic, capable person who us disenfranchised can vote for. It may happen , as these things happen in uncertain times. Still pigs might fly. Whoever happens our so called democracy is in a mess. Those people hoping for the demise of the EU should look Inward at our system first.

Riverwalk Tue 15-Jan-19 06:58:02

I've mentioned before about my US friend who is a typical West Coast liberal - she voted for Clinton with a peg on her nose.

Again harking back, some years ago on GN we discussed abstaining from voting as a positive move, rather than those who just CBA. However, I think most on here feel obliged to vote so like others I'll vote for the least worse option, with a peg on my nose.

Anniebach Tue 15-Jan-19 08:27:12

The Conservative party won’t split, many expected the Labour Party to split, there was the vote of no confidence in Corbyn, the publication of ‘the hit list’, .labour MP’s threatened with deselection, Corbyn unable to form a full front bench , talk of secret meetings to discuss a breakaway party.

Blinko Tue 15-Jan-19 08:40:47

Yes, let's have a breakaway SNP in the West Midlands. I'd vote for them. Like others on here, I have always voted, but this time I can't see any party worth my vote. It's deeply worrying and also sad

Grandma70s Tue 15-Jan-19 08:42:59

It is a big problem. I live in a safe Labour seat, so however I vote will make no difference. I still feel strongly that we should all use our vote. I have in the past voted either Labour or Lib Dem, more recently Green, which I realise is just a protest vote. I have never voted Tory, and still wouldn’t.

I’m certainly not voting Labour while Corbyn is leader. Perhaps I’ll go for Lib Dem, depending on the candidate.

EllanVannin Tue 15-Jan-19 09:13:20

Wirral is Labour so I'd let them get on with it by sitting back and not bothering. The only time you ever see a politician is at times of a general election anyway so they can all naff off.

Labour are best kept for local elections but I'm not sure if Corbyn can deliver as regards a general, although a speech he made last week was more in keeping with the majority of the British public but whether he could hold us to his promises would indeed remain to be seen.

Anniebach Tue 15-Jan-19 10:14:11

Corbyn’s speeches are always in keeping with the majority, hence his fence sitting through the brexit war, he waits to see which way the wind blows.

Jane43 Tue 15-Jan-19 10:25:54

I have voted in every election and referendum since I was 21. After the travesty of Brexit and the behaviour of many MPs I wouldn’t know which way to vote in the next election. If Yvette Cooper or Keir Starmer became Labour leader I would probably vote Labour but it would depend what is in their manifesto.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Jan-19 10:28:47

I have just listened to a debate on the Jeremy Vine show, discussing the pros and cons of people over the age of "75" not being allowed to vote as they would not be "alive"much longer and the issues around today are not really relevant to the older generation!!!!
Also that all 16 year olds should have a vote.

One of the callers pointed out that wars have been started by tax payers being denied the vote, and suggested that if the older generation are to be denied the vote then they should also be excempt from paying all taxes?

I shall be voting for our sitting MP who on a local level seems ok, as I could not "not cast my vote", as I think it is my duty as a citizen. If I do not vote what right do I have to complain about the state of the country etc., when I decided not to have any input.

mcem Tue 15-Jan-19 10:30:56

I'll vote SNP again primarily because their policies as paddy set out meet my priorities.

I am very aware that even if every MP returned from Scotland were SNP we'd still be in thrall to the Westminster system and without root and branch reform the UK will go staggering on.
(Yes we have problems and I'm finding it distressing to see the position NS finds herself in.)

I am pleased with the impact SNP MPs are having in the HoC and Ian Blackford is clearly showing that they are not all about 'independence and nothing else'.

It really is desperate and the only solution I can see is stopping brexit entirely. But then we'd have more of the hypocritical comments about 'breach of democracy' when democracy has been trampled underfoot already.
Can't see that a short-term delay, ostensibly to re-negotiate, would work.
How would that tie in with the preparations needed for the upcoming euro elections?
Shambles and chaos rule and the cracks are far too wide to paper over with calls to "be patient , to wait and see". We've waited. We've seen.
What now?

David1968 Tue 15-Jan-19 10:40:43

I was once a "counter" for a poll. It was interesting to note that "spoiled" ballot papers have to be seen by every candidate (or their validated representative) in order to be "agreed" as "spoiled" and thus discounted as a vote for anyone. It occurred to me that if you couldn't face voting for any of the candidates, then you could at least write why on the ballot paper, and every candidate would know! Much better (in my view) than simply not voting at all.

Sillyoldfool Tue 15-Jan-19 11:06:53

I think our politicians of all parties are a complete, self serving disgrace and feel completely disfranchised. I am hoping a new party will emerge eventually. Those of you who fervently support membership of the EU please give me some positive reasons for us surrendering our sovereignty, not just the usual fear factor guff.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Jan-19 11:07:02

I think I will spoil my ballot paper then it doesn’t just seem I couldn’t be bothered.

A joke here about GE voting always made me laugh so I’ll share it here if I may.

‘An elderly couple are discussing the upcoming GE. Husband is a die hard Tory, his wife a staunch Labour supporter.

On the day of the election it’s raining cats & dogs.
The husband looks at his wife and says ‘why don’t we just not bother this time? Our votes cancel each other out anyway’ The wife says of course he is right.

Later that evening when the polling stations have closed the wife turns to her husband and says ‘I voted!’.

pheasant75 Tue 15-Jan-19 11:09:27

Do some research on the EU , how do the EU waste money
have a look at what the top officials earn and what they were earning before ,you would be shocked.
how many people are employed in Brussels ?

I learnt yesterday that the EU cut grants last year to the UK by 20% ????
they have been given too much time to make life difficult for the UK
have a look at which contries pay in and which countries have been baled out .
our own MPs have let the UK down stop arguing amongst them selves.
when we have a genral electiion we have to accept the will of the people have they forgotten that
Germany imoports touhe UK over £70 billion do they think that will change
where is our MP,s common sense ?