Gransnet forums

Chat

Things your mother said!

(198 Posts)
Mycatisahacker Fri 01-Feb-19 10:15:35

On the back of the snow thread and I said my mum always said ‘it’s too cold to snow’

Other gems were ‘pride must be pinched’ as she vigorously brushed my hair.

‘Keep your hand off your holiday money’ no idea what that meant but think slightly rude.

Colds could obviously be caught by going out in a jacket and heels rather than a coat and flats grin

‘Feed a cold starve a fever’

‘Sit with your back to the fire and you will be sick’

What did your mum say?

goose1964 Fri 01-Feb-19 14:28:11

my mum's most lasting was poison and chips when being repeatedly asked what was for dinner. I found myself saying it to may kids

Greytin94 Fri 01-Feb-19 14:30:50

One of my grans favourites was “It’s all gone cabbage wrong.”

Telly Fri 01-Feb-19 14:32:04

'If they could only see themselves from behind!' was one of my mums. It was soooo embarassing..................

Urmstongran Fri 01-Feb-19 14:33:53

If you eat a banana at bedtime it’ll make you sick.

NanKate Fri 01-Feb-19 14:59:10

Goose I have a similar one,

‘What’s for Tea Mum’
‘A kid with a scabby head’ ?

When my son was a young teenager and was going out with a girl my Mum used to say ‘Wear your trousers back to front’. Fortunately he thought it was a funny remark.

If I had had a kiss and a cuddle on the doorstep with a boyfriend my mum would say later ‘You look as if you have been dragged through a hedge backwards’

She had a great sense of humour and I miss the many laughs I had with her.

phoenix Fri 01-Feb-19 15:12:27

"All fur coat and no knickers" for someone giving themself airs and graces.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Feb-19 15:16:46

One volunteer is better than 10 pressed men.

Maggiemaybe Fri 01-Feb-19 15:53:34

"Don't come running to me when you break your leg."

"You'll pass in a crowd." High praise when I asked if I looked okay.

DH has inherited "They wouldn't stop a pig in a passage" for anyone with bow legs.

Maggiemaybe Fri 01-Feb-19 15:55:00

"Don't just sit there eating them one after the other". Wise words about eating sweets. Which I somehow took to mean I should cram a few in at once.

KatyK Fri 01-Feb-19 16:00:17

My mum had some unusual expressions - she was Irish. If I was going out and said my shoes were scuffed or something she would say 'no man will get down off his horse to look at you'

Grannybags Fri 01-Feb-19 16:08:18

I'll try killed can't - when I said I couldn't do something

You'll catch something you can't caste in a hurry - when she thought I wasn't wearing enough clothes

The best one though when she was looking in a mirror aged 80ish - It must be so much easier getting old if you've always been ugly!!

KatyK Fri 01-Feb-19 16:12:39

'Charlie's dead' if your underskirt was showing. 'You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear' for someone who thought they looked great but, in her opinion, didn't.

MacCavity2 Fri 01-Feb-19 16:20:11

What’s for dinner Mum. “Air pie and windy pudding”.

Washerwoman Fri 01-Feb-19 16:34:21

When something turns out OK in the end she says -'It's like the relief of Mafeking ! '- well she is 96 and although obviously not alive during the Boer War that one must have come from her parents !
'I look like the wreck of the Hespeus ' Which as a child I knew what she meant ie her way of saying dragged through a hedge backwards.Now I realise it's from a poem by Longfellow.
And to me, and all my children when tucking us up for bed 'Night night.Sleep tight.And don't let the bed bugs bite '.
Or 'Good night,sweet repose,lie on your back and don't squash your nose.' It used to make them giggle.Bless you mum.

agnurse Fri 01-Feb-19 16:50:28

If we asked what was for dinner we'd be told "Food". If we asked what kind, she'd say "The kind you eat." One I remember well was when we had leftovers for supper. Then it would be, "Suppertime, guys! Come tell me what you want to eat!" (Mum always saved leftovers until the end of the week and then just heated everything up and served it. Consequently we had to tell her which ones we wanted.)

MrsEggy Fri 01-Feb-19 17:02:56

One of Mum's answers to "what's for tea?" was "bread and butter and walk round the table".
When I complained about an almost invisible mark or spot she would say "a blind man would be glad to see it".

Twin2 Fri 01-Feb-19 17:11:53

My mum was always using sayings several sayings as above and others that spring to mind are

A daughters a daughter all of her life, a sons a son till he gets a wife. (When I said I have 2 sons where does that leave me she said ‘yours will be different’?)
A change is as good as a rest
Butter wouldn’t melt in your mouth
Life begins at 40 (it would then become 50,60 etc)
You’ve got out the wrong side of bed ( struggled with this when small as bed against a wall)

LullyDully Fri 01-Feb-19 17:23:45

You must take your plastic mac to school......in case it rains!!!!!!!! No, no, no.

ninathenana Fri 01-Feb-19 17:33:27

She's got hair like a yard of pump water.
Meaning very straight.
Plus several of the afore mentioned ones.

pensionpat Fri 01-Feb-19 17:46:44

When asked what was for dinner my Mums reply was Shit with egg on.
Coincidentally my husbands mother used to say the same. I haven’t continued the tradition.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Feb-19 18:01:58

I’ve seen better hair on bacon.

phoenix Fri 01-Feb-19 18:09:26

I've seen more fat on chip.

What's for diinner? "Duck........under the table and out again"

And one from my grandfather "You knows her, you knows her as well as I do, little widder woman, walks about a lot on her feet!"

Sarahmob Fri 01-Feb-19 18:43:08

Charley my mum used to use the starving Africans to get us to eat too. One day my sister put her chips in an envelope and asked where she should post them grin

DoraMarr Fri 01-Feb-19 19:28:58

My mother used to say, when we misbehaved “You’re enough to make a saint swear!”
She I was a teenager, going out to a disco, I’d ask her how I looked, and her only compliment would be “a blind man would be glad to see you.” sad

DoraMarr Fri 01-Feb-19 19:29:30

When I was, not she I was. Sheesh!