Gransnet forums

Chat

Benefits of buying UK-grown flowers?

(32 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Fri 01-Feb-19 20:55:15

After reading on another thread about the possible problems regarding the import of flowers, I thought this may be of interest.

(House Beautiful January 2019)

Apparently in the UK we spend more than £2 billion a year on cut flowers, but 90% of these are imported.

Most cultivated in glass houses in Holland or flown by the millions from African and South American farms, but only after being treated with chemicals to delay blooming.

As well as the carbon foot print involved in the shipping, unregulated farming practices in parts of the world cause pollution, habit loss and declining numbers of wildlife.

'But thanks to pioneering British farmers and florists, a wonderful selection of seasonal stems are grown here' according to Heather Gorringe from 'Great British florists UK'.

British-grown flowers mean more fields of British blooms, which is good for humans, bees, birds, bugs and butterflies'

Also choosing seasonal flowers, just like food will look right for the time of year.
As they don't have to be transported miles, British flowers usually have a superior scent to imported blooms, tend to stay fresher and last longer, the shorter the distance the longer the vase life.

Hopefully from little acorns...

But I fear weather and cost would be a large hurdle for the British flower industry.

sorry too many but in the article

petra Sat 02-Feb-19 12:45:59

Cherrytree
well that didn't take long toecome a Brexit gloom and doom ?????
Hold onto your seat, it's only going to get worse coming up to the glorious day?????

Urmstongran Sat 02-Feb-19 12:51:01

Cherrytree59 ??

SueDonim Sat 02-Feb-19 13:49:02

Cherrytree, I don't know the mechanics of daffodil growing so I assume the ones round here are grown for their bulbs, to be sold in autumn, otherwise as you say, they'd be picked while in bud.

merlotgran Sat 02-Feb-19 13:55:04

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh2__t22CQg

Something cheerful for a cold winter's day.

I'd love to do it. We have two acres but I'd need to be twenty years younger!

petra Sat 02-Feb-19 14:32:07

Merlotgran
Thank you for that smile

chocolatepudding Sun 10-Feb-19 10:25:53

This morning's "On Your Farm" programme spoke to a British flower grower.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002g35