Gransnet forums

Chat

Snowflake generation?

(104 Posts)
Grammaretto Mon 04-Feb-19 14:32:12

Maybe I should have put this on AIBU but I genuinely am interested in what you think.
I have had 2 youngish (mid 20 ish) volunteers staying and from day one they made it plain that they were
a) cold
b) didn't like our food.
So after a few days of this I suggested, (and had given them extra bedding) they should find somewhere else because having brought up a family who ate what was on their plate or went hungry, I was not prepared to compromise with these 2 .
They sounded surprised and one said that it was because her own DM had been forced to eat as a child that she in turn allowed her children total freedom.

Why is it we either react against our upbringing or repeat the conditioning with our own children. i.e.
What was good enough for me
I'll never inflict that on my own kids
Any views out there? These 2 have left and I am relieved.

Grammaretto Thu 07-Feb-19 09:01:54

Lily65 grin really?
And they say travel broadens the mind. I hope the next host they find is normal. I am a little wary of my next guest. I'm looking at their online profile now......

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Fri 08-Feb-19 23:05:41

I've done hosting (slightly different) & despite knowing food likes/dislikes, allergies/intolerances etc before arrival I often wasted so much food. Mostly young students they had breakfast, we're driven to pick up points, collected later and given evening meal. Usually had pairs so they would have company of same age. I had some lovely students but after a few "difficult" students decided to host the teachers instead. This was much easier, they enjoyed all the food, were good company and some I've visited in their country as we have stayed in touch. Have to say (from my own experiences) the French were the most difficult and the Japanese the best.

Grammaretto Sat 09-Feb-19 15:07:17

Tooyoungytobeagrandma but these 2 were old enough to be teachers.
I used so rate the antipodeans the highest until I met some lazy ones.
It is always hit and miss. We have also kept in contact with a few of ours and welcome them back anytime.
We have been invited to their countries but not made it yet.
We've met some of their parents too who've come to check us out meet us .