Gransnet forums

Chat

The last of the killer heels? ??

(100 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 04-Feb-19 21:03:47

Tidying my shoe cupboard this morning made me realise, that although I have a lot of shoes and boots I have no heeled shoes at all! ?Over the last few years I have gone for comfort every time, but not only do I hate the idea of my heeled shoes days being over, but I should really have at least one pair stashed away ready for instant use for weddings and social do’s.
How many pairs of heels have you got, and any recommendations for elegant but reasonably comfortable shoes ( not sandals.)

winterwhite Tue 05-Feb-19 16:04:54

Saying Goodbye to high heels is one of the worst things about getting older. Used to be able to run in them. Have never got on with wedges and tend not to like Hotter’s styles. Am now a Mary Janes girl and Clark’s fan.

paddyann Tue 05-Feb-19 16:05:18

Iwear high heels every day ,I even used to take the GC walks in their prams in 4 inch heels.When I was diagnosed with a hernaited disc I did ask the Physio about my heels and she said they were fine and that women in general had better posture when wearing heels ,so I haven't given up my high heels and have no intention of ever doing so.I have NO flat shoes or boots and the lowest heels I have are about 3 inch .

trisher Tue 05-Feb-19 16:08:39

Never worn really high ones but still have a pair of peep toes with approx 3 in heel. Last wore them in September 2018 because I suddenly realised the palazzo pants I was wearing are now too long for me. They went to the venue in a bag I danced in them and went home in flats! Looked great with the pants. Next pair are a 2in heel with a t-strap that come out for funerals then a pair of black sandals with a wedge heel that are really comfortable.
You do stand differently in heels.
Mostly it's flats now although I do try to give the heels one outing a year!

TheMaggiejane1 Tue 05-Feb-19 16:13:02

15 years ago I had a pair of, mainly heeled, shoes for most outfits but gradually I have been buying flatter, more comfortable shoes. A lot of our friends live fairly locally and we have all got into the habit of walking to each other’s houses in flat shoes and changing into ‘prettier shoes’ in the hall when we arrive. A bit silly really because for most of the evening our feet are shoved under the dinner table and no one can see them anyway! We all agree that we feel better in the pretty shoes though. I did recently buy a pair of Ruby Shoo shoes in the sales and I love them. They’ve got a fairly chunky, 3 inch heel but they look much higher and very elegant. They are also comfortable for short (well very short but I can stand in them for ages!) walks. Even DD and DiL admired them.

CazB Tue 05-Feb-19 16:39:46

I never wear heels of any kind, as I have foot "issues" and would find them very uncomfortable. The only shoes I wear now come from Hotter or Clarks, both of which are stylish and comfy.

annodomini Tue 05-Feb-19 16:41:35

I gave up on heels about 30 years ago when I realised that they made my back ache. Now I wear smart Hotter orGabor shoes with no more than 2" heels for special occasions, But I do miss the kitten/louis heels of the 1960s - just as sexy as stilettos with black lacy stockings.

4allweknow Tue 05-Feb-19 17:32:05

Did wear stilettos in my heyday but they were nothing like the stilts worn nowadays. Do have a couple of pairs with heels but probably about 2 - 3", one is for funerals or serious occasions, the other peep toe black patent bought in 2009 for son's wedding. Other rather glamorous shoes I bought for special occasions I sold with the outfits as I knew I would never wear either again. Comfort every time and mainly wear jeans or trousers so heels not really needed.

Whitford8 Tue 05-Feb-19 17:45:00

I loved high heels and could wear them as my husband was a good 5 inches taller than me. However comfy shoes come with age but more important was the fear of falling over. So all beautiful elegant high heels made there way to the charity shop, and I retained my dignity .

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:07:07

paddyann

Bah gum lass, yer a goer. grin

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:28:37

women in general had better posture when wearing heels
I think that's right, but unfortunately I can't wear them sad

Aepgirl Tue 05-Feb-19 19:26:28

I just love my heels - they make me feel so feminine, and I honestly am more comfortable in heels than in flat shoes.

Qwerty Tue 05-Feb-19 19:58:46

One pair of Mary Janes - a court shoe with a strap across. The heels are quite low and the shoes new this winter. I used to wear high heels every day for work but osteoarthritis means I wobble a lot! That's even with expensive orthotics inside. Now I live in boots with low, fairly wide heels in winter and sandals with straps in summer. Not as good a look as heels but at least I'm stable- important after a hip replacement and a recent fall that ended in a broken wrist!

Qwerty Tue 05-Feb-19 20:02:12

Meant to say my Mary Janes are made by Gabor, expensive but they look "classy". Cheaper makes are available but they didn't look as good or feel as comfy on me.

Nanna58 Tue 05-Feb-19 20:31:45

Sadly none, when I had my complicated knee reconstruction I gave away all my very expensive heels to Cancer Research, oh how I sobbed! ?

Beau Tue 05-Feb-19 21:20:37

All heels disposed of around around age 50 when my feet started aching if I wore them. I now buy only Moshulu flats which are made in the UK but I wait for their brilliant sales as they are a bit expensive for me otherwise. I have just bought 2 pairs of flat suede shoe/boots in purple and navy which were around £39 in the sale and I know they will last years. My Moshulu suede snow boots are at least 10 years old and still don't leak at all. I remember I had an Irish work colleague years ago who was forced to wear heels all the time - because she had never worn flats, her Achilles' tendons had shrunk and she found flats incredibly painful. She really regretted it as she was getting swollen feet at work in the end but had to stick with the heels.

grannybuy Tue 05-Feb-19 22:08:13

I have one pair of black stillettoes - only about 2 1/2 ins - which I am keeping for any special occasion. Having said that, they haven't been on for a few years now, and I don't know of any likely occasion in the future. I also have one pair of black Hispanita black leather wedge heels which are very dressy, but not all that comfortable. Like most posters, I generally wear leather trainer style shoes, preferably Ecco.

GrannyEngland1 Tue 05-Feb-19 22:41:01

I adored high heels. I was lucky enough to be given money from my Granny was I was 21, with instructions to spend it on something that made me happy. I blew the lot on a beautiful pair of strappy, snakeskin, killer heeled sandals from a shop in New Bond Street; Elliotts perhaps? I loved them and wore them until they fell apart, many years and numerous repairs later. Even now, over forty years later, I can remember the pleasure they gave me. Now, after two operations to remove bunions, I can't wear killer heels at all. For my son's wedding I wore kitten heels, but changed into sparkly Converse flats, which I'd prettied up with pink satin ribbon instead of laces, for the dancing later. Now I wear flats, but what flats! Beautiful brogues from Rogue Matilda, embroidered boots from Dr Marten's, bargains from Shoeaholics.com. Comfortable and stylish, with memories of those blue heels to comfort me in my "heel-less" days. My mother, by the way, was furious with me for my profligacy!

glammagran Tue 05-Feb-19 23:39:41

Having spent my 20s and 30s teetering around in heels I developed appalling bunions and have only worn really comfortable shoes like Hotter and Skechers since. Bunions are still there but no longer hurt. Last year to my surprise after YEARS of trying to buy a pair of comfortable heels I found some on Van Dal website which are EE fitting with 3” heel. Can wear them for hours. Why do nearly all shoe manufacturers only produce wide fitting shoes in such hideous designs?

craftergran Wed 06-Feb-19 07:40:31

I love the look of stilettos some of them are works of art. However, I haven't work such since I was about 40 and even then only rarely. I like my feet firmly planted on the ground with a nice sole with grip.
The first thing I do when I see a pair of shoes or boots I like is turn them over and check the grip.

craftergran Wed 06-Feb-19 07:40:54

work not work

craftergran Wed 06-Feb-19 07:41:22

worn damn auto

pamhill4 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:44:30

Frankly I prefer kitten heels to killer stilettos any day as much more wearable but still elongate the leg. Otherwise block heels are en vogue right now and as the heel is higher but thicker, it spreads the foot weight and is more comfortable than stilettos too imo. Again I’d second M&S shoes as they do a pretty “comfort” range with padded/cushioned insoles which are great.

Hazy52 Wed 06-Feb-19 12:36:41

I have osteoarthritis in my knee and unlikely to get a replacement because of heart related problems. I was going to have the replacement and asked the surgeon if I could get back to wearing heels and he was very scathing about them. I was told once (wrongly, actually have a high instep) by a podiatrist that I had flat feet and needed to wear orthotics. I went to look at the types of shoes I had to wear and actually cried at how ugly they were. My husband said that if I had to wear them then so be it. However, I asked him to imagine them replacing the nice shoes I had to wear with dresses and he agreed with me.

I have many pairs of heels, all boxed in tissue paper with shapers, that I can't wear but also cannot bear to get rid off. I did try to pass on a pair that were slightly too big to daughter but she couldn't wear them so came back to the collection. One pair by Roland Cartier is from 1990s and used to come out every December for all the Christmas parties. I have a beautiful pair of four inch cobalt blue Dune shoes, which husband found for me for son's wedding, but couldn't find a matching bag (got one year later) that have only been worn once. The shoes and bag (Jones) I did get for the wedding have been worn a lot being a soft satin and so comfortable. Likewise a pair of red shoes for Ruby wedding four years ago only worn once. One pair of red patent shoes, I bought from a catalogue years ago, were known as 'the bedroom shoes' I used to get lots of nods and winks when I mentioned them but in reality they got the name because I would put them on and not be able to walk out of the bedroom!

A lot of the heels I have cost a fortune but I bought brands (L K Bennett and Roland Cartier) that were really comfortable. I am now buying flat shoes from Dune and L K Bennett and have some really nice ones, including cobalt blue, but I do so miss the heels to wear with dresses. Perhaps, if I am ever in a wheelchair and don't have to walk I will be able to wear my killer heels!

GreenGran78 Fri 08-Feb-19 00:07:53

I have short, but very wide feet, and have always had problems finding smart shoes that fit well. I also broke my big toe when I was 19, and ever since it has ached like crazy if I wear high heels. As a result I have spent most of my adult years in low heeled or flat comfortable shoes. I would love to have slim, elegant feet, and be able to just walk into any shop and easily find lovely shoes to wear.
The up-side, though, is that at the age of almost 80 I have never had a single corn or bunion, or varicose veins.