Gransnet forums

Chat

Problem tree.

(147 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 07-Feb-19 21:40:18

My neighbour has complained for several years about a large oak tree behind 3 of the houses.All the leaves fall into his garden but the tree is between all the fences and even the council can't say who owns it. He has nagged so much that the lady behind me has agreed to cut it down and he may pay her something towards the £1000 bill.I like the tree but don't want a row but now I feel I should give her some money too. What do you think.

gerry86 Sat 09-Feb-19 09:50:38

I have a lovely old oak tree in my garden that seems to shed more leaves than the rest put together and I moan about clearing them up as they seem to reach further into the garden than any of the others but there's now way I'd cut it down. It's a magnet for squirrels and birds which are a pleasure to watch.

henetha Sat 09-Feb-19 09:53:38

Save this tree!
Am I right in thinking that Local Authorities have a tree officer who has to be consulted about cutting down trees?
I don't think it is legal to cut the tree down. And it's certainly immoral to destroy such a beautiful thing. Please don't let it happen.

Oldwoman70 Sat 09-Feb-19 09:57:22

If the rest of the neighbours are happy with the tree then can I suggest you get together and support the neighbour who has been bullied. If she is on her own she may feel that she has to do this to avoid falling out with everyone. If she knows she has your support she will be able to resist his bullying.

After DH died a neighbour tried to bully me by claiming part of my garden - fortunately I mentioned it to DH's nephews who paid him a visit and had a chat - he has never mentioned it again. Without their support I may have very well given into his bullying.

DaisyL Sat 09-Feb-19 10:01:22

There were a couple of self-seeded sycamores in the back garden of a cottage in the village - they were enormous but the owner of the cottage was told that he could be fined £25,000 if he cut them down without permission. For goodness sake make sure that you/your neighbours have the relevant permits. Let the neighbour sort it out - it's bothering him not anyone else. Why should you be involved or have to pay anything?

Aepgirl Sat 09-Feb-19 10:08:25

Whoever ‘owns’ this tree, permission to cut it down must be obtained. Trees, particularly oaks, are protected

tavimama Sat 09-Feb-19 10:17:16

I would be very surprised if this beautiful tree wasn’t growing LONG before the houses were built.

It would be sheer vandalism to destroy such a venerable and (in these days of global pollution) vital old tree.

Please do not have anything to do with this - certainly do not hand over money at the behest of such a nasty bully.

A land search would quickly find the owner of the land and (hopefully) sympathetic pruning could take place.

Overthehills Sat 09-Feb-19 10:21:55

I had to get permission from the local authority to prune existing leylandii trees in my garden. Please tell your neighbour not to do anything. Any qualified tree surgeon will advise her and won’t do the work without proper authorisation.

NfkDumpling Sat 09-Feb-19 10:32:19

If it's a large tree and visible from the road it may well have a TPO on it and they won't be best pleased! It may be worth contacting the Tree Preservation Office and asking their advice. They'll likely come smartish and could well slap a TPO on it instantly. They have a lot of power. But be careful what you wish for, its taken 6 months and an appeal to prune 8 feet off one side branch of our mature TPO'd Scots pine.

4allweknow Sat 09-Feb-19 10:35:48

Can't believe all the leaves fall into his garden. Was the tree there when he moved in if so he should be prepared to put up with the leave. I have a small wooded area behind me, lovely mixture of trees giving shelter and habitat for some wildlife. 3 years ago new people moved in other side of woodland. I went away on holiday came back to find trees had been cut. Contacted owner of land who was livid but of course no solid proof of who was responsible. This year came back to find a beautiful pine tree had been cut in half. This time owner sent stern letter to residents. We have installed camera with land owner's permission to catch culprit or prevent further vandalism. No one has the right to cut or damage trees without owner's permission. Wouldn't become involved in neighbour's dispute.

Houndi Sat 09-Feb-19 10:35:51

The neighbours at the bottom of our garden wanted us to chop down our trees i refused.They than said they would get someone in to chop the top of the trees.I said you wont touch them they are mine.The trees are still there but i still have to put up with their son hanging out the top window smoking.That another story.When we moved again first thing on list is not been overlooked

GabriellaG54 Sat 09-Feb-19 10:40:29

kircubbin2000
What do I think?
You need a reality check...that's what I think. Well, you did ask.
Leave them to it. Why contribute to felling a tree you say you like?
That aside, as others have said, you can't just fell trees such as oaks as they may be protected. You surely don't stand and listen to the angry male neighbour...do you? What folly. Tell him it's none of your business and you aren't listening to any more of his tripe. He should moan to the council.
Good grief. Petty problems.

FlorenceFlower Sat 09-Feb-19 10:42:51

‘Irritating’ to nest? Preparing to nest is what I meant, of course! ?

Rosina Sat 09-Feb-19 10:43:20

Don't you despair Toots at what people want to do just to save a minor inconvenience, as they perceive it?
I used to go out and sweep the blossom; it flew around me and was so beautiful that even to clear it up was a pleasure. That grumpy unappreciative neighbour of mine must have had a heart of stone and no eye for beauty.

SueDoku Sat 09-Feb-19 10:49:03

I have a huge London plane tree just over the fence at the bottom of my garden, and I too get (piles and piles) of the enormous leaves everywhere in the autumn. The difference is that I love the tree, and although it would be nice if it was reduced in height slightly, I wouldn't dream of demanding that the owner cuts it down.
I have some sympathy with the man - I bought a leaf blower when we moved in here, and it lasted one autumn before the motor burned out because of the sheer quantity of leaves - so now I wait until most of the leaves are off, then employ someone with an industrial blower to get them up and take them away. Yes, it costs me money, but I have the beautiful tree to look at all year round..! smile

GrannyAnnie2010 Sat 09-Feb-19 10:55:26

"All the leaves fall into his garden". No wonder he's complaining!

minxie Sat 09-Feb-19 10:58:34

If I were you ,I would go out of my way to make sure the tree was preserved, with an order, If nothing else just to annoy your vile neighbour

kircubbin2000 Sat 09-Feb-19 11:02:13

I told him the tree was not mine but agreed to trim my chestnut tree. She is elderly and lives alone too . I was going to discuss it yesterday but she wasn't in.

CanOnlyTry Sat 09-Feb-19 11:04:24

If you only realised the wealth of support that Oak trees contribute to SO many species of wildlife then you wouldn't even entertain the prospect of agreeing. Besides which as many have already said it may well be subject to a TPO (most Oak's are for reasons stated above). There are some miserable people about! Sure they shed leaves but for goodness sake can't your neighbour look at the beauty?

Toots Sat 09-Feb-19 11:09:45

Good idea to discuss it..you could just politely tell her you won't be contributing because you are unsure if it's legal and also you don't entirely agree with cutting it down...and maybe advise that she'd be better off not doing anything either.?

Toots Sat 09-Feb-19 11:10:53

....Just don't be bullied... stand together!.. ??

CarlyD7 Sat 09-Feb-19 11:11:15

If it was me I would have a quiet word with the lady and tell her not to go ahead with this because she could face prosecution further down the line from the owner. As for the other one - if it bothers him so much, HE should do something about it. I used to have a neighbour who constantly complained about people using his driveway to turn around (he'd put in an enormously wide driveway with no gates - looked like a perfect turning circle!) Whenever he started moaning about it, I would just look at my watch and say "oh, is that the time!" and walk off. he soon got the message ...

MaizieD Sat 09-Feb-19 11:15:08

I get the feeling that despite everyone's eloquent pleas, the tree is doomed. OP really doesn't seem particularly bothered about its fate. Just doesn't want to spend any money on it.

Apologies, OP, if I've completely misjudged you.

Toots Sat 09-Feb-19 11:24:14

Rosina... very true!.. we live by the sea ...have done all my life.....but the amount of people who move here then complain about the noise of the seagulls!... I love it..it reminds me of how lucky I am. ?

FountainPen Sat 09-Feb-19 11:26:55

CanOnlyTry. Yes, oaks can support 350 different species. Taken from The Woodland Trust:

Many people seem to believe that when you take away a species’ home they will simply find somewhere new to live. But most wildlife require corridors (such as hedgerows or green space) to reach and find new areas where they can survive. Increasingly, as we cut down more trees, woodland and other habitats, wildlife simply has nowhere else to go, resulting in the mass declines in their numbers that we’re seeing today.

The TPO process is an interesting one which can have surprising results.

Nearby land with derelict houses was going under auction. Several developers were making preliminary enquiries to the council to see what they might be able to build there and because of these, the tree preservation officer came to have a look at the site.

There was a mixture of trees from old mixed species (no oaks), established and younger fruit trees and several immature ornamentals. It was the latter which he put preservation orders on because of their potential to grow into "cracking beautiful trees" - his words. One - a copper beech which faces the public highway - was only a few years old. I remember when it was planted. Now ten years old it is indeed a beautiful tree.

Chris4159 Sat 09-Feb-19 11:41:23

Ah just as I thought. Bullying that poor woman into paying for it. Both you and her should stick together, and avoid him. Let him sort it out, I wouldn't waste my time researching anything either.