Gransnet forums

Chat

How times have changed

(148 Posts)
marionh Sat 16-Feb-19 17:38:44

We have friends coming over this evening for a takeaway and have been trying to decide between Indian and Chinese. It got me thinking that these days we can get whatever we like delivered to our door, ready to eat, but when our children were young the most exotic it ever got was a Vesta curry or chow mein. Anyone else have fond memories of these? I suspect if I had one now it wouldn't taste anything like the 'real' thing but back then we thought it was amazing

Harris27 Sun 17-Feb-19 10:58:12

When i went out with my husband many years ago his mam used to make that for him. I always keep a tub of Makway curry powder in and my boys love it.old traditions continuing!

anitamp1 Sun 17-Feb-19 10:58:12

I've never liked curry. But I always loved a Vesta curry. My mum used to make them. Happy memories.

LadyJus Sun 17-Feb-19 11:00:57

We always had the beef curry in a cupboard when I was younger so setting up home in 1984 I got one for my own cupboard. It tasted nothing like they used to in the 70's so I even wrote to the makers to say I didn't like the new formulation! God knows what they taste like now as I haven't had one since!

LadyGracie Sun 17-Feb-19 11:03:00

I used to love the Vesta beef curry, I remember the sultanas in it. I also loved Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie in a tin, that thick pastry yum yum smile

madmum38 Sun 17-Feb-19 11:05:19

I still buy the Vesta paella and chow mien as my daughter loves it and so quick to make it

jeapurs54 Sun 17-Feb-19 11:06:56

As a person that I have to admit to not being able to cook much, so a Vesta is a lifesaver to me. I still buy the selection of Chow Mein, Paella, Beef Curry. I still enjoy these and have them when my husband is out for the evening and I have to cook for myself, so this is ideal for short while in Microwave.

granmalala Sun 17-Feb-19 11:08:19

Oh yes I remember the Vesta meals from way back in early 1970s!! We got married 1971, and husband and I had a Vesta meal every Friday night, we thought we were the bees knees, loved them!!

Deni1 Sun 17-Feb-19 11:10:00

chicken supreme

EllanVannin Sun 17-Feb-19 11:10:06

I must put one or two on my list----but I've never noticed them at Asda, perhaps because I've never looked for them. Handy to keep in the cupboard.

Tish Sun 17-Feb-19 11:10:30

Vesta chow mien was a treat for my brother and me in the school holidays.... we loved the crispy noodles the best.

inishowen Sun 17-Feb-19 11:14:55

Vesta was my introduction to exotic foods! Then my mum discovered curry powder. For a while she put it in mince, casseroles, pies etc., Thankfully my dad put his foot down and said no more curry.

Camelotclub Sun 17-Feb-19 11:18:29

I saw those yesterday! At Bargain Buys (aka Poundstretcher) they had paella, beef curry and chow mein.

Gma29 Sun 17-Feb-19 11:21:39

My brother used to love these, and spent much of his pocket money buying them. My mum wasn’t a fan of what she considered ‘not proper food’, and refused to buy them. I do have a very clear memory of him cooking the crispy noodles for the first time, and nearly setting fire to them. He always cooked anything and everything on the highest setting possible.

I used to think they were quite exotic, but going back nearly 50 years there was very little available in the way of convenience food, apart from baked beans and tinned ravioli.

fitwell Sun 17-Feb-19 11:26:41

My boyfriend used to live on them and bizarrely pinned the empty packets onto a notice board , fond memories

chrissie13 Sun 17-Feb-19 11:33:28

As a teenager I couldn't wait for my parents to go on holiday so that I could live on these for a while, loved them all!

Skweek1 Sun 17-Feb-19 11:43:53

I fancied a Vesta a few months ago, but looking at it discovered that it's microwaved and sounds horrible. Virtually no choice of flavour and no longer for me. Shame - was tasty, fun and easy.

Esspee Sun 17-Feb-19 11:45:04

That brought back memories.
My mother once left my father to make a vesta curry for tea. I was coming home an hour later and dad considerately left the rice on a slow simmer to keep it hot for me. confused

Pat1949 Sun 17-Feb-19 11:58:08

My husband still eats Vesta Curry when he can get hold of it. I'm not sure if he enjoys the taste or if it just transports him back to the early years of our marriage. ??

HannahLoisLuke Sun 17-Feb-19 12:01:02

We never had Vesta but my mother proudly made a 'proper' curry which was basically minced beef in gravy with added curry powder, sultanas and sliced banana and white long grain rice on the side. We thought we were so exotic! Actually if memory serves me right we loved it.

KatyK Sun 17-Feb-19 12:01:21

We used to think we were really trendy and exotic with our Vesta curries in the '70s!

gillyg Sun 17-Feb-19 12:07:55

I once worked on a photoshoot for Vesta curry. The food stylist had to pick out the 5 peas and arrange them very carefully at the front of the plate. I remember it to this day as I thought it was so funny.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 17-Feb-19 12:12:01

Vesta was my introduction to Indian food, and I have loved it ever since. Now it is possible to get nearly all the spices and really good Indian cookery books in English too, so we eat quite a lot of Indian dishes.

minniethemoocher2 Sun 17-Feb-19 12:12:35

Vesta Curry was my favourite. A real Saturday night treat, eaten whilst watching Perry Mason on the TV. Remember it well. My mother used to experiment with 'exotic dishes', she made a mean Spaghetti Bolognese, but father used to say 'I don't want any foreign muck!
Mum was a night nurse way back and her colleagues used to bring in food for supper time. They just had ordinary plain food - except for one person - and everytime they all asked him 'what exotic shit have you got tonight!'.

Marycat2 Sun 17-Feb-19 12:20:42

Me to they were the height of fine dining and god to impress a boyfriend with.
When i saw the thread title i thought you were talking about matches thats sonething else I have near the candle in case of a power cut I live alone so dont them for romantic candle lit suppers like Hyacinth B

Jane43 Sun 17-Feb-19 12:22:38

Yes my Mum would bring a Vesta beef curry to have for our lunch when she came over for the day to help with the children. We thought we were very modern. She also used to say always have tins of salmon, peaches and cream in the cupboard in case vsitors arrived unexpectedly then you something to offer them for tea. It did actually happen one Sunday when relatives from Nottingham arrived unexpectedly. As I remember most shops weren’t open on Sundays in the 1960s.

My aunt worked in a grocery shop and I remember the first time she brought home instant coffee, before that it was Camp coffee out of a bottle, what a difference it made.

Bathsheba, yes we did the same, putting the rice in a ring outside the curry. ?