Gransnet forums

Chat

How times have changed

(148 Posts)
marionh Sat 16-Feb-19 17:38:44

We have friends coming over this evening for a takeaway and have been trying to decide between Indian and Chinese. It got me thinking that these days we can get whatever we like delivered to our door, ready to eat, but when our children were young the most exotic it ever got was a Vesta curry or chow mein. Anyone else have fond memories of these? I suspect if I had one now it wouldn't taste anything like the 'real' thing but back then we thought it was amazing

Sheilasue Sun 17-Feb-19 18:07:46

Oh yes loved the Vesta curries. Never had a sweet and sour though.

Speldnan Sun 17-Feb-19 18:49:10

Remember Vesta well, it was the first thing my BF (later husband) cooked me in his University halls in 1970. It seemed ok then but I bet we’d find it disgusting now!

petra Sun 17-Feb-19 19:21:23

Has anyone tried camp coffee in ice cold milk?
I was at the boat show in the 80s and this was being 'demonstrated'
It's absolutely delicious.

BBbevan Sun 17-Feb-19 19:36:40

My Gran always drank Camp coffee. I remember the bottle with the Indian and soldier on the label. I quite liked the taste too.

Nannan2 Sun 17-Feb-19 19:47:57

Yes saggi we got vitamins etc from real food too- but these were winter supplements i think? And sueki44 i DO remember the double ended cans too but seemed like a faff to be honest-i also still do love a birds trifle,justwokeupsmileand peaches,but carnation milk(my mum liked this)was always too syrupy sweet for me.Further update on vesta chow mein- i cooked mine for tea earlier for myself only- i admit at first i glanced at packets briefly so ended up frying the wrong noodles first,but(luckily!)had 2 packets so was able to compensate- did in pan on hob like the old days and seemed to be same(if a bit blander)Have done online check& you can still get chow mein one in a few supermarkets but only poundstretcher seem to do others.will be going there soon...grin I remember birds did a special sherry trifle too for while,which was very 'sherry-tasting' but think it died out after a while- the sherry one out last christmas was nowhere near as nice- couldnt taste any sherry flavour at all!

Mycatisahacker Sun 17-Feb-19 19:54:35

Blimey camp coffee! Takes me back to my gran.

My parents height of sophistication was a hostess trolly. They never entertained grin but we used to have it wheeled out every Sunday with cucumber sandwiches and home made cake. Bless them we thiought it was posh grin

Nannan2 Sun 17-Feb-19 19:54:47

No id never had a sweet& sour vesta- i think with hindsight the yellow colour in the risotto was perhaps one of the dreaded 'e'numbers so thats why it was removed- they COULD have replaced it with saffron or turmeric to colour it as suggested?but maybe that would have changed the flavour thenhmm

Mycatisahacker Sun 17-Feb-19 19:56:25

Oh that tiny tins of cream that you had to whip for about 20 mins to get it stiff. Loved it with grans apple pie

rubysong Sun 17-Feb-19 20:02:16

I don't think we can get anything delivered to the door here, apart from the 'wet fish' man who comes round the village on Fridays. When I was at college in the early seventies we were given a vesta box each Sunday evening for our meal as the cooks didn't come in and we could make it ourselves.

Nannan2 Sun 17-Feb-19 20:04:57

Sorry meant the yellow in paella one- do they still do 'dream topping'?it was in packets and you added milk & whipped it till your arm achedsmilebut it tasted really creamy.mum used to get one when she got birds trifle as she said there wasnt enough creamy topping in trifle packet- so must have been a birds product too then?grin

BradfordLass72 Sun 17-Feb-19 20:13:10

I bought a pack when newly married (70's) as my husband was curious.
One mouthful was all it took to tell us we'd wasted our money. Never again.

Nannan2 Sun 17-Feb-19 20:14:03

Yes online search confirms dream topping is birds and it is still available in supermarkets-its like reliving the whole 60's&70'sgrin

Nannan2 Sun 17-Feb-19 20:20:03

Its plain that vesta meals are much like marmite-you either loved em or hated em!grin i liked vesta but hate marmite,Bovril spread though is yummy- some of my grandkids love it too, on toastsmile

Blencathra Sun 17-Feb-19 20:38:36

Because you are on Facebook onestepbeyond. You may not think you are but that is where I saw your comment.

Blencathra Sun 17-Feb-19 20:40:34

I mentioned it because marionh may not know that her thread is elsewhere. She has 55 replies now on Facebook - by people who saw it there and not on Gransnet.

Blencathra Sun 17-Feb-19 20:42:49

Only 3 replies on Twitter but a retweet and 14 ‘likes’ so lots of people reading you there onestepbeyond.

GabriellaG54 Sun 17-Feb-19 20:49:20

I don't like curry although I like chilli in some foods and onion bahjis and vegetable samosas. That's as far as I go.

GabriellaG54 Sun 17-Feb-19 20:53:10

Me too, BBbevan
I'd almost forgotten about it but I'll buy some next week to see if I still like the taste...if I can find where to buy it.

Gaggi3 Sun 17-Feb-19 20:54:48

I was born during WW2 and remember how little choice , compared to today, there was in food. The only reason we didn't try Vesta meals was because my mother was deeply suspicious of anything new, so it was the usual delicacies like stuffed hearts! To be fair money was very tight and she couldn't afford to experiment.
I do remember Virol, not a favourite, but loved the government provided orange juice, in a bottle like a medicine container. I was lucky enough to miss a really disgusting concoction called Scott's Emulsion, which was fishy tasting and hated by my brothers and sisters. It was not around by the time I arrived.
When I first went to eat in an Angus Steak House, when I was about 20, I thought it so sophisticated. So much has changed.

BBbevan Sun 17-Feb-19 20:55:14

My Mum made 'curry'. It always had raisins in it and apple plus left over Sunday joint. I thought it was great but had never tasted the real thing g in the 50s

lemongrove Sun 17-Feb-19 21:02:48

I remember the Vesta curries and chinese meals, but newly married we cooked our own curries which were much better.I can’t have takeaways delivered ( too far from them) or fish and chips either sad but make our own, probably healthier.

Paddington1914 Sun 17-Feb-19 21:17:12

Me too!

pinkprincess Sun 17-Feb-19 21:36:38

I loved Vesta Beef Curry was addicted to it at one time

BradfordLass72 Sun 17-Feb-19 22:16:24

have been trying to decide between Indian and Chinese.

Why not order both?

oldgoat Sun 17-Feb-19 23:59:50

Gaggi3 Scott's emulsion was, unfortunately, still around after the war. I remember being dosed up with it and it's foul, fishy taste. But I loved Virol.