Gransnet forums

Chat

What's on your Bucket List?

(104 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Tue 19-Feb-19 08:23:33

In case you don't know (never assume smile ) this is a list of things you'd like to do in your lifetime.

Most things appearing on standard lists, I've done but today I saw a man dangling from a helicopter, checking power lines and thought what fun it would be to do that.

Not check power lines but dangle from a helicopter by harness or in a chair.

Discounting age, infirmity and cost - what would be on your Bucket List?

gillybob Fri 22-Feb-19 08:52:17

I would love to visit America, well Nashville.

Maybe in my next life . sad

Riverwalk Fri 22-Feb-19 08:38:58

Thank you Izabella.

Izabella Thu 21-Feb-19 23:07:04

Riverwalk I have pm'd you.

Riverwalk Thu 21-Feb-19 20:33:07

Izabella I'm sorry to hear of your news. Based on your interesting posts and current travels, this surely must be very early onset. You don't have to answer this of course, but is it Alzheimers and what made you seek a diagnosis?

I hope you're enjoying your latest trip. smile

And thank you for posting - it's a reminder to us all to seize the day.

Izabella Thu 21-Feb-19 17:18:44

I feel blessed. My original bucket list was in my early 40's following breast surgery and facing up to the fact I am not here forever. I have done and visited almost everything and everywhere discussed upthread. I know I have been privileged to have back-packed all over the world, mostly on my own, initially on a shoe string, then for a while with the help of an elderly aunt.

However, I now am faced with another probable bucket list having been diagnosed with early onset dementia very recently.

I have learned that it is important not just to dream, but to actually do the things we want to while we can. I am currently on walkabout and fly off to the Windies on Saturday. The winter will be spent in NZ - that most wonderful of places. After that I shall return home and be content with listening to birdsong and enjoying the sinmple pleasures of life, knowing that i have few regrets.

Freeatlast Wed 20-Feb-19 21:19:52

Always wanted to see the Northern lights, travel on the Orient Express and visit USA particularly California. I will definitely do these one day. Though like (startingoverat61) my life has gone the same way, and living a happy life is top of the list.

Funnygran Wed 20-Feb-19 21:01:33

BBevan just read your post and had to laugh. Years ago I did just what you want to do. It was midnight in a very remote rest camp in South Africa where my sister was living at the time. Nobody was about so DH and I stripped off and had a lovely leisurely swim. When we told the kids next morning they were absolutely horrified!

BBbevan Wed 20-Feb-19 20:01:30

I have always wanted to run naked into the sea, a river or a lake. And then swim slowly about. Sadly I am now 74, and might frighten the horses!!

Jani31 Wed 20-Feb-19 19:08:37

Just ticked off Taj Mahal and the Toy Train to Shimla. Been on my list for about 50 years. Not much left now. Oberammergau next year, start a new list x

ReadyMeals Wed 20-Feb-19 10:30:00

I'd say over 50% or more of these responses are about travelling! I've just remembered another dream of mine that I'd almost forgotten about as it's going to be impossible to do - I always wanted to design my own house and have it built. Actually I wouldn't mind even designing one for someone else to live in. I think that's why I play The Sims - you can design the most outlandish houses and they have to put up with them - even when the toilet is in a glass tower open to public view!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 20-Feb-19 09:46:05

I used to want to see Venice - but I've heard it smells! Also a cup of coffee can be prohibitively expensive on the main tourist drag so I don't think I'll bother.
OTOH I've been up the Eiffel Tower and visited Monet's garden. I'd love to go to the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay but that probably won't happen now unless I become very rich and am prepared to get a cat-cum-house sitter.

Grammaretto Tue 19-Feb-19 22:46:19

There's a website devoted to the northern lights - where to see them and where they have recently been seen. Aurora watch uk.
I was lucky to be staying in the Scottish Highlands on a cold night in early spring when we were told by some excited locals to come outside and watch the sky.
For me it was a wonderful surprise.
So you don't need to spend a lot of money visiting Iceland or Alaska.

Nanah67 Tue 19-Feb-19 22:36:40

Have seen the northern lights in Iceland..did the Canadian railway trip..visited Interlaken and Berne in Switzerland..lake Garda was the best Italian trip...loved all the British isles..did a Caribbean cruise into Mexico. Best trip ever was Las Vegas by road to San Francisco. Highly recommended to all.

Kim19 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:55:21

Thank you M. Appreciated.

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Feb-19 20:25:04

Will someone please tell me how to initiate a personal mail?
Kim19, go to a post written by the person you want to contact. Click on private message to the right of the bar above the post. Follow the instructions there.

Corkie91 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:19:54

Always had a bucket list and keep achieving things from it like climb into jungle and see Gorillas in the wilds of Uganda, go on safari , visit Treetops in Kenya, do Inca trial and see Matchu Pitchu, climb great wall of china, go up in hot air balloon. It gives you something to look forward to. Going to Petra next month. Still to do helicopter ride, Niagara falls, racing car on a motor circuit to mention a few.

Nanny41 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:18:34

I dont really have a bucket list, I think I have done most things on my wish list, the one thing I havnet acheived is my wish to go to Malta, my wish was granted when I had my 75 th, given by my Daughter and her family, but we still havent been there, that was two years ago,I wonder if I will ever get there,time is running out!

Kim19 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:32:40

Will someone please tell me how to initiate a personal mail?

Matthew1 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:22:15

Would love to learn to writeable. Never had one as a child. I did learn to swim last year age 63 still anxious in the pooling I can do lengths and take my granddaughter to my gym pool????

BradfordLass72 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:20:40

What a wonderful variety of lovely posts smile

I've seen the Southern Lights (Aurora Australis) but when I swam naked (not in the Med but on a stretch of glorious NZ beach), my generous boobs bobbed up before my face so annoyingly that it was not quite the pleasure I anticipated.
grin

annodomini Tue 19-Feb-19 19:08:11

I fancy indoor sky-diving. Maybe a hint to the family about my 80th birthday (next year) is in order! grin

Pittcity Tue 19-Feb-19 18:55:22

Northern lights is on a lot of lists. Maybe this should be a Gransnet trip!

petra Tue 19-Feb-19 18:37:16

I know how luck I've been with all the wonderful places I've seen.
But if I could only have one more place it would be to travel the original Silk Road with luxury glamping ( of course grin )

Wheniwasyourage Tue 19-Feb-19 18:28:58

I've always fancied trying cross-country skiing (don't see the point in just going up a hill to come down again).

Getting rid (usefully) of some of the houseful of wool that I have acquired over the years and avoiding buying more until I do, so willpower required.

Visiting the Outer Hebrides.

I have seen the Northern Lights here, and they are certainly worth seeing!

maryhoffman34, have you tried Duolingo (free) or Rosetta Stone (quite expensive, but excellent) for brushing up your French and learning German? I can recommend them both.

gillyjp Tue 19-Feb-19 17:51:43

Don't really have a bucket list. I've been lucky to have done some wonderful things and visited many foreign climes. I think seeing the Taj Mahal comes way up on the list of things I've done along with the Alhambra in Granada. Both heart-stoppingly beautiful.

However one thing I'd really love to do? Swim naked in the warm Mediterranean sea. (From a secluded cove of course!)