Gransnet forums

Chat

Sportsgirls

(36 Posts)
Rufus2 Wed 20-Feb-19 06:16:26

Pleased to see the ever increasing TV prime time being given to women's sports here in OZ. Soccer, rugby, OZ footie and cricket! I would think the same development is occurring in England! My word, the girls can kick a footy as hard as anyone. I particularly appreciate the absence of tattoos, at least on areas exposed to the cameras, and spitting. shock I remember at the soccer World Cup, the fellows were spitting as soon as they ran onto the ground; (upset many GNetters.!)and carried tattoos on all exposed (and unexposed ?) areas. Man. City's Ederson looks like he's wearing a big dog collar or neck-brace, but at least he's a very good goalie, nonetheless! grin
OoRoo

Alima Wed 20-Feb-19 06:27:50

Shouldn’t that read “Sportswomen”. Does anybody talk about sportsboys in Australia? How quaint.

12Michael Wed 20-Feb-19 08:21:38

Sportswomen, in some main sports are getting live coverage, its when the complete alongside there male counterpart in a same sport scenario, the male can sometimes be beaten by the female.
I have ridden cycling time trials when younger ,and road a few against the late Beryl Burton MBE, and closest she has beaten me by was 1 minute and 30 seconds but i admired her as a sportswomen
Mick

MawBroon Wed 20-Feb-19 08:30:10

Respect Mick !
Not having followed cycling, I first heard of Beryl Burton when my daughter worked on a play about her at the West Yorkshire Playhouse with that wonderful actress Maxine Peake.

(And yes, the term is “sportswomen” ! )

EllanVannin Wed 20-Feb-19 09:05:56

We have a fine boxer---Nicola Adams OBE.Lovely smile too.

PECS Wed 20-Feb-19 09:30:34

DGD1 is off tonight to watch Chelsea women play Bristol! Not sure it is televised but the bunch of girls going to watch are all from a local team & it is a birthday outing for one of them. Women in all sport is good as is the growing number of positive female role models.

MawBroon Wed 20-Feb-19 09:47:09

Women in sport are not “girls” - could you imagine Serena Williams or Paula Radcliffe’s reaction? gringrin
If anybody finds “sportsmen” or “sportswomen” a mouthful,
what not use the non-sexist term “athlete” anyway.

Rufus2 Thu 21-Feb-19 10:25:39

Shouldn’t that read “Sportswomen”. Does anybody talk about sportsboys in Australia? How quaint
Alima; Of course not! How quaint of you to use that expression! grin I deliberately used that sports GIRL mode, because as anybody familiar with media knows, the headline grabs attention regardless of what follows. I had hoped the inclusion of GIRLS would attract some favourable comment from the DHs, but they remain mute!
But some good came from your off-thread post in that in following "quaint" on Google with reference to Anne Hathaway's cottage which I regard as quaint I was led to a website "Villages and Manor Houses of the Cotswolds" via YouTube. Absolute magic. You must have a look! smile
Thank you! OoRoo

stella1949 Thu 21-Feb-19 10:39:00

These days I'd think that they should all be "Sportpeople" - heaven forbid that we\d differentiate between the ladies and the gents !

I certainly agree with you Rufus - the women's sport is great to watch . I'm loving it ! ( Fellow Aussie here )

MawBroon Thu 21-Feb-19 10:39:59

I had hoped the inclusion of GIRLS would attract some favourable comment from the DHs, but they remain mute

Why would you expect that?
This is getting too P3

Rufus2 Thu 21-Feb-19 10:44:09

Women in sport are not “girls”
Maw; I wondered how long it would take to find me, but then I remembered you're Miss Marples II. But you twist my words again. I'm referring to young girls, mostly in their teens or early 20s, fit, excellent in their chosen sport and grateful to be getting more and more air time on prime time TV. This thread was never intended to refer to "old boilers" such as you mention. They're in it purely for cash!
Maybe things are different in England.
OoRoo

mcem Thu 21-Feb-19 11:11:03

I'd like to point out that things are different in Scotland too ( and probably Wales and NI ) unless you are actually focussed only on England .
In all parts of the UK it would be seen as disrespectful to refer to elite female athletes as 'sportsgirls'.
I'll just look at this thread title as another pathetic attention-seeking attempt.

Rufus2 Thu 21-Feb-19 11:15:52

against the late Beryl Burton MBE
12 Michael; Good to see you back in your computer saddle now that you've conquered WIN10 smile Not a cycling expert , but always following the Tour De France. We get every day "live" here, although with time zone differences I give it away between midnight and 1.00am and catch up next day when they show recordings about tea-time.
Well done with your performance against Beryl; I checked her bio. on Google and found she died of heart problems whilst social riding. Only 59 too. Too young to go. sad
Btw. your other posts refer to how WIN10 is helping with "beer" activities. Does this mean real beer, boutique beer or what?
Good Luck and Good Health. OoRoo

Rufus2 Thu 21-Feb-19 11:29:28

I'll just look at this thread title as another pathetic attention-seeking attempt
mcem; thank you for that! Where have you been? I've missed you! grin
I've had to learn how to bang my own drum and blow my own trumpet in order to get some attention!
Nobody has volunteered so far, but probably nobody ever will for being scared of misandrists. Sorry if you don't like the noise! grin OoRoo

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 11:43:20

Rufus My DGD, who is still a girl at 13, went to watch Chelsea women win 6-0 against the Bristol City Women last night. Really not hard to get the difference.
You like to deliberately provoke, I get that. Some people do remain children for far too long, but hopefully along the way respect is learned, understood and practised.

Rufus2 Thu 21-Feb-19 12:07:46

Some people do remain children for far too long,
PECS; I hope you're referring to me there! At 91½ I'd hate to think I haven't remained a child at heart; or maybe into a 2nd. childhood! I was always mischievous! As they say, the more things change the more they stay the same.
Btw; congrats on winning something; after 2 encounters with Man.City and Man. U. without scoring a single goal it must have been a welcome sight for sore eyes to see 6 from the girls. Well done! OoRoo

Oldandverygrey Thu 21-Feb-19 12:15:58

Rufus, I see you are in the firing line again! what does OoRoo mean?

Rufus2 Thu 21-Feb-19 12:35:12

Rufus, I see you are in the firing line again! what does OoRoo mean?
Oldandverygrey; It's a friendly Aussie term for "Cheers" or "Cheerio" or "see you next time!"
Don't worry about me in the firing line. It's always the same firing squad gunning for me, but I can still "move faster than a speeding bullet!" and know when to duck.! grin OoRoo

Oldandverygrey Thu 21-Feb-19 16:54:33

Hope I am as feisty as you if I ever reach your age! OoRoo

MawBroon Thu 21-Feb-19 17:01:53

This thread was never intended to refer to "old boilers" such as you mention. They're in it purely for cash
Maybe things are different in England

Since when was Paula Radcliffe an “old boiler”
Serena Williams is 37
Old boiler?
Maw, I wondered how long it would take to find me
Please don’t flatter yourself by thinking I was looking for you

mcem Thu 21-Feb-19 17:05:43

Less a case of looking for him and more about tripping over the inevitable egotistical posts!

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 17:08:44

The women played well Rufus and the girls who watched had a great evening! Certainly was a bit of respite from the boys men's team!

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 17:24:08

Terrible score though PECS - 6-0! sad!

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 17:26:55

OoRoo
The word is old fashioned so it is generally used by 70 plus yr olds.
Originates from the practice of lonely guys out in the bush, who after meeting and talking of their plight would often say goodbye before going off to "Hoo a Roo".

Well, I've met a few old bushies but I've never heard the term OoRoo before.

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 17:27:16

My DGD was happy! Are you a Bristol supporter Jalima?