Gransnet forums

Chat

Having a shower

(181 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 20-Feb-19 09:50:44

Am I the only person who hates showering?

I am very short-sighted and with glasses off and hearing aids out I feel quite disoriented. I lose the soap/ struggle to wash my feet at all/have yards of hair that needs drying........

And in strange showers on holiday it is even worse.

Cannot get in and out of bath - painful hip replacement.

I just grit my teeth and get on with it.

watermeadow Wed 27-Feb-19 21:05:23

I’ve had few showers in my life as always had baths. I’m now, in my old age, planning on having a shower room made next to my bedroom.
I shall miss my comforting hot baths and will have to get used to showers as my downstairs bathroom will be turned into a utility room plus loo and sink.
It will all be worth the upheaval to go a few steps to the loo in the middle of the night instead of downstairs, after which I return to bed wide awake and unable to go back to sleep.
Can’t wait!

Nanah67 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:38:03

We have replaced our bath with rain forest shower and wet room. It also has a seat installed for use in later years. Far better than the bath which we struggled to get in and out of.
We both use it daily and use far less water and electricity as it’s connected to the mains..it did not cost a lot but it is much safer.

Grandma2213 Thu 28-Feb-19 02:03:30

Luckily I can still get into the bath as I have an over bath shower too. I love a soak in the bath after which I feel really clean as the water seems to go deep into my pores! I don't use much water, or soap as I'm never that dirty, though a splash of radox type liquid seems to help so there is never any scum left. I use a jug afterwards to rinse off hair or skin with only a few pints of clean water.

Showers on the other hand just seem to run off my skin without cleaning it. I usually take the head down to get to my 'bits' but I also seem to use twice as much soap or shower gel to achieve the same clean feeling as a bath. On a couple of occasions I have left the plug in and I actually used more than twice as much water to feel properly washed! Strange showers are even trickier when you have to take off your glasses. Getting the temperature/pressure right etc is a nightmare.

Still each to his/her own I suppose.

Day6 Thu 28-Feb-19 03:07:30

I fully agree with your post above Grandma2213. I love a nice bath and can still get in and out. I feel completely clean after a soak but not so relaxed after a shower. I do shower for quickness most mornings.

I have very dry skin so some mornings I'll have a thorough wash at the sink if I don't have plans for the day.

I can't wash my hair every day either as it's so dry, despite lots of conditioning treatments.

We had a Jacuzzi bath installed when we reported the bathroom but it means I can't add oils or bubbles to my bath. It's very relaxing, especially when it pummels my ankles and feet, but the motor is so noisy that I can't have it on for long. I get out feeling so thoroughly clean and rejuvenated afterwards though.

Day6 Thu 28-Feb-19 03:08:56

The bathroom refitted...