Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you do this?

(82 Posts)
mrsmopp Thu 21-Feb-19 19:05:54

Can you believe we did this? We would go to the cinema - the film had already started, so we'd watch it from the middle to the end, then the news, cartoons etc. Finally the main film came on again. We'd watch it then say, This is where we came in! And then leave.
It seems strange now but it wasn't unusual then, was it?

arosebyanyothername Sat 23-Feb-19 00:40:48

My Aunt swore never again have a shower after watching Psycho!!

Moonbather Sat 23-Feb-19 01:00:14

Like Bradfordlass I often read" Who dun it" first.I like to work out how the crime was costructed.All my friends think I'm very strange. They are probably right.

Grandma2213 Sat 23-Feb-19 02:40:57

We hardly ever went to the cinema as we lived out in the country but I can pretty much remember every film on those rare occasions. With my mother I saw Carmen Jones and The Pyjama Game. With Dad it was Reach for the Sky, The Dam Busters, Davy Crockett and a strange film called Captain Jack about an Indian or should I say Native American who for some reason wore a soldier's uniform. Once on holiday we saw Forbidden Planet. After each film we watched, my brothers and I played out the story over and over again for months! I do remember seeing B films but have no memory of them, possibly that's why they were B films!!

absent Sat 23-Feb-19 06:03:18

I remember being taken to see the Ten Commandments movie with Charlton Heston, being a most unconvincing Moses, when I was a child. The next day, I told my school friends about it and how there was an interval in the middle. They didn't believe me.

anxiousgran Sat 23-Feb-19 08:45:31

I remember films being on a continuous loop too. Especially remember seeing Zulu and Sever Brides for Seven Brothers from the middle, then the beginning.
I still love those two films as well.
I also still call the cinema the ‘pictures’ or the ‘flicks’.

jennyallsorts Sun 24-Feb-19 15:37:00

Does anyone remeber the News Cinemas in London? You had newsreels, cartoons and advertisements. It was very cheap and good way to spend a rainy afternoon with the boy friend!!