Gransnet forums

Chat

Meghan's Baby Shower.

(190 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 22-Feb-19 13:05:25

The flowers from guests' bouquets and items from a 'flower arranging course' were reworked after the event by a firm that then passes them on to charity'.

I don't know what you think but having read details of the 'no expense spared' extravaganza, isn't this just a modern day version of 'crumbs from the rich man's table?'

I do think it's a good idea but I can't make up my mind about her motives. Showing off her vast wealth in the company of celebs like the Clooneys is not going to endear her to hard-up folk who normally turn out to support the Royals. Has nobody warned her it could all come crashing down?

hmm

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:10:57

I understood from the media (Ok I know it cannot be relied on) that the “shower” was a gift from Serena Williams and her other “Stateside” friends.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:11:53

Oops premature posting!!!

I would rather the flowers be enjoyed than thrown away.

Anniebach Fri 22-Feb-19 13:13:54

Which charity benefited ? U.K. or American . I question because we paid for the security

merlotgran Fri 22-Feb-19 13:14:35

I agree about re-working the flowers rather than wasting them.

MawBroon Fri 22-Feb-19 13:15:01

Does MM care?
Frankly do we care?
Each to their own.

merlotgran Fri 22-Feb-19 13:22:24

I think it was an American children's cancer charity, Annie.

I wonder if that kind of thing exists in the UK. Far better than flowers from a funeral being sent to the local care home where busy staff have to quickly do something with them so they don't look as though the grim reaper's hanging around.

I just feel uneasy about the flaunting of her wealth. Her celeb friends picked up the enormous bill but it just emphasis the fact it's a drop in the ocean for them. We paid for the security detail so why not stage it in the Cotswolds where the Clooney's have a vast mansion?

Still....What Meghan wants, Meghan gets.

merlotgran Fri 22-Feb-19 13:23:32

I think some people might care, Maw

ginny Fri 22-Feb-19 13:28:36

I care in so much as she could have had a modest ‘shower’ with her friends and asked them to donate to a children’s charity instead of spending thousands on air fares etc.
Still I expect the gifts will help when the couple are struggling to make ends meet once the baby arrives.

Anniebach Fri 22-Feb-19 13:48:35

merlot I agree, why couldn’t her friends fly here, the Cloonys live here,

Wherever she stayed in America security would have gone ahead to check it out, her staff and more security would have traveled with her .

What friends can afford to give in gifts is their affair but she needs to decide which country she lives in,

EllanVannin Fri 22-Feb-19 14:09:22

If the press is to be believed, the private plane was ordered and paid for by the Clooney's who are " bosom " friends of Meghan's. It possibly was their suggestion as the flight was a " gift " from them.

EllanVannin Fri 22-Feb-19 14:11:09

There was no bigger spender at one time than Prince Andrew who really took the p* because of his position.

Day6 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:16:38

It still sticks in the craw.

The flashy, flaunting of wealth and American celebs fawning over her. OK, so her circumstances and position might entail this lifestyle, but it really does not endear her to the British public...well, me. A royal family with Clooneys hanging on, any celebs hanging on...Ugh.

I imagine Kate had baby showers. Did we know about them? Nope. I think Meghan has to learn how Windsors operate. We pay for parts of her lifestyle as others have pointed out.

I see the demise of the family.

Day6 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:18:49

Would the Clooneys be her 'bosom pals' if she was just a little known actress in Suits I wonder? Could the cachet of a royal prince be a factor in her stateside popularity? hmm

gillybob Fri 22-Feb-19 14:19:38

The royals are all the same when it boils down to it. Living their lives of greed and sheer indulgence as they do . MM has worked hard for this starring role and is playing the part to perfection .

EllanVannin Fri 22-Feb-19 14:50:52

Day6 I imagine that the Clooney's were still friends of Meghan's when she was in Suits. Actors/actresses seem to befriend their own types. I doubt that they've " suddenly " become friends.

Anniebach Fri 22-Feb-19 15:03:15

Would a Hollywood actor and a civil rights lawyer have spent much time with a tv actress in Canada ?

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Feb-19 15:09:44

I'm puzzled by this. My invitation must have got lost in the post.

paddyann Fri 22-Feb-19 15:13:59

I think the whole idea of baby showers is ridiculous.As someone who lost babies quite far on in pregnancy I can think of nothing worse than still having tons of stuff to come home to after a loss.Much more sensible to wait until it arrives and give gifts then

Lily65 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:17:34

I think its so sad to be so wasteful.

Eloethan Fri 22-Feb-19 15:19:49

I think it's a terrible extravagance but no worse than the profligate spending and heedless use of resources that the royal family engages in.

In my opinion, the monarchy is an outdated institution which enshrines the sort of values a forward-thinking country should be leaving behind - but why is everything this woman does picked to pieces? Because she is American? Because she is mixed race? Because she is not from an aristocratic background? What is it that so annoys some people?

Lily65 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:24:45

No, Eloethan because its all over the news. I'm sort of neutral on the RF.

I think out present queen is hard working and has some grip of what's what for non royals. I'm not too sure about some of the others.
I think M and her baby shower is in bad taste.

EllanVannin Fri 22-Feb-19 16:06:23

I too think baby showers are ridiculous paddyann

Gonegirl Fri 22-Feb-19 16:20:13

She can't just change from being the person she was, and is, to someone the British public feel is fitting to her present position, and why should she? She's got wealthy friends. Good for her.

Sparklefizz Fri 22-Feb-19 16:21:33

I agree that it's good that the flowers were put to another use but this smacks of a poorly-thought-out PR job in the fact that this was photographed in great detail with the recipients (children who had cancer and adult men with learning and behavioural difficulties - all of whom looked bemused - after all, we know that those children will have said "No, I don't want any toys, I'd much rather have flowers" [I am joking, by the way grin ).

Why create all that publicity around the giving away of some flowers? We have all done this with flowers from our own celebrations or from funerals. It's no big deal.

And how hypocritical when one is supposed to be "saving the planet" to fly by private plane for a short stay. I am disappointed that Harry flew in a private plane to get home for Valentine's Day recently too. Kate and William have been photographed in the past on Easyjet.

Will Meghan have a complete new wardrobe for their trip to Morocco tomorrow?

I am totally disappointed in them. Sigh.