Gransnet forums

Chat

How much is the most you would pay?

(164 Posts)
trisher Sat 23-Feb-19 12:55:32

I've come to the conclusion that I set quite low limits compared with other people about how much I will pay for things. A friend and I were discussing theatre tickets, I find £50 about enough but wouldn't go past £100 which apparently means most London theatres now. I think £200 dresses are too much apart maybe for a one off occasion like a wedding and then I would have to be sure I loved it and couldn't find anything cheaper. Do you set limits on what you pay for things?

trisher Tue 05-Mar-19 10:13:16

It always makes me think of "where there's muck there's brass".

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Mar-19 09:42:49

I'd forgotten that one Horatia grin

annep1 Tue 05-Mar-19 09:28:40

I haven't heard that one Horatia lol.

Horatia Mon 04-Mar-19 15:22:08

I'll only go into a cafe for a sandwich and cake if they look gorgeous, if they are just the usual I'll keep my money. Many a mickle makes a muckle.

NotSpaghetti Wed 27-Feb-19 10:14:10

Shizam - I expect the key to getting cheaper tickets to the theatre is booking well in advance. For example, All about Eve tickets apparently started at £17.50 but obviously they have all gone now.

trisher Wed 27-Feb-19 10:04:35

GrannyGravy13 maybe you should start a seperate thread- HAA- Handbag Addicts Anonymous. or maybe SHAA- Shoe and Handbag AA. I'm sure we can help you. grin

M0nica Wed 27-Feb-19 07:21:08

Surely the biggest definer of spending limits is income and frequency also comes into it.

If you go to the theatre every week, you will generally have a lower ticket price limit than if you are going to the show of a lifetime and haven't been to the theatre for 5 years.

I am not aware of having any fixed spending limits, which doesn't mean, I will buy anything regardless, more that a price limit is defined by the item, the event.

Lat year was our Golden Wedding and we celebrated with a house party for 15 people and paid £000s to hire a magnificent house in the centre of Bath. This year we are having our annual holiday in March because the accommodation we want to hire, is expensive and we decided we wouldn't pay more than £500 a week. - so that meant going there in March.

At the other extreme, when DS married I wore an outfit I already had in my wardrobe because I couldn't find anything in the shops I really liked and refused to spend a penny on something I didn't like.

Gettingitrightoneday Wed 27-Feb-19 06:52:24

It would probably be plants for me.

Marmight Wed 27-Feb-19 05:19:40

I've just paid for 9 tickets to take the family to see the Lion King in Bristol - in November, instead of a panto in December. The total came to £359; luckily I was lying down at the time, it being the middle of the night here, otherwise I would have collapsed. I've never paid so much for entertainment in my life. shock
Occasionally, in a mad moment, I'll buy expensive shoes or clothes but mostly I shop in TKMaax, Asda, eBay or charity shops and spend little on hair or make up. I rarely eat out, not much fun on my own but enjoy treating the family occasionally. My only big luxury/expenditure is a business class flight to Oz once a year - 'because I deserve it' (and because I'd probably have to be taken out feet first if I had to sit bolt upright for 24 hours grin).
I am aware that I am in a very fortunate position. Just wish I was still sharing it with DH . I've decided to make the most of it while I can and intend to start 'skiing' while I am able wink
On the subject of water bottles, DD gave me a Chilly water bottle for Christmas. It goes everywhere with me and has particularly been a godsend here in Oz. No need to buy plastic bottles. Everybody should have one! Just fill it up as you go along
www.chillysbottles.com

jeanie99 Tue 26-Feb-19 22:16:36

Just before Christmas my husband and I were in New York for a couple of days and were over the moon to see that Bruce Springsteen was appearing at one of the theatres.
Hubby said the tickets will be expensive could be £100 each, I just laughed because he's no idea just how much things are.
I got on the website and the tickets were from( can you believe)
1065US$ to 1350US$ per seat.

How can anyone afford to pay that sort of money for a show.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-Feb-19 20:24:05

OK I am Grannygravy and I have a handbag problem, I was bought my first designer handbag 30 years ago, still have it and use it. I have acquired 12 I use them all, I go between 3 “day
bags” depending on season. Worth every penny, good quality, but the main thing is they give me pleasure. I also gave a shoe and boot obsession as they can make or break an outfit.

boat Tue 26-Feb-19 19:58:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PECS Tue 26-Feb-19 18:48:11

I would not go to Weatherspoons for more than one reason..but really £16:50 is not OTT to celebrate a longstanding friend's birthday! Not much of a friend!

Juggernaut Tue 26-Feb-19 17:58:57

Gabriella
Millers Fish and Chips in Haxby, near York are the current holders of the Seafish, Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award. Their Cod and Chips retails at £6-70!
It's beautiful fish, the chips are crisp yet fluffy, and it's up north, where we know how to do great fish and chips!

Tillybelle Tue 26-Feb-19 17:09:10

harrigran. I know what you mean about the weight of those handbags! I think I have one similar which may not be your label but I was lucky as bought it for a good price on ebay. All leather, so beautifully made and gorgeous to look at and timeless. But heavy!
I bought another of soft leather that is less stiff and not so heavy but although it is fairly big it won't hold a book and a water bottle. That is my requirement for a bag!

Tillybelle Tue 26-Feb-19 16:15:56

Yes, I have to now. However it has made my life happier in one way. I could once have an annual treat and go to one of the international opera houses, staying in a hotel and having a couple of days away. Sometimes I might go more than once depending on prices and offers on Eurostar. I did it instead of going on holiday. Now painful disability and lack of money have kept me close to home and I have a wonderful time at my local theatre. In particular I have fallen in love with Opera North whose productions, singers and orchestra thrill me as much as any I have seen on the international circuit in the opera houses of capital cities of Europe. Their Ring Cycle was so incredible that I live on it still. I used to see La Traviata and Tosca at least once a year and now I can honestly say that Opera North's Traviata is the most moving and best production I have ever seen. Right here in my little provincial city's theatre, in my subsidised front row seat for under £40 sitting among the friendliest audience and most helpful staff you could wish for, a warm glow of happiness engulfs me that I never had in La Scala or any other world famous opera house.

DoraMarr Tue 26-Feb-19 11:13:42

I don’t think I have a limit for clothes- if I like something, I will buy it. Most of my summer dresses cost around £80-£100+, which does seem a lot for cotton dresses, but I like the cut and the material is always good quality. I don’t eat out much, except on holiday, and then I am happy to pay for excellent food and a beautiful setting. I don’t eat in Wetherspoons after a couple of awful meals, but will eat in a nice pub where they do freshly prepared dishes. I don’t have a massive income, just my teacher’s pension and state pension, but I go to classical concerts, the ballet and plays here in Birmingham, where prices are always reasonable, and to London and Stratford a few times a year, where prices are not so affordable. I think how much we spend on things is an entirely personal matter, and one person’s extravagance is another’s entirely justifiable expense.

harrigran Tue 26-Feb-19 09:27:52

trisher, I hardly ever use the handbags because they are very heavy even before I get all my clutter in. DH bought them as gifts, he had heard me mention the name and decided to treat me. At the end of the day they are just bags and are used as such.

Riverwalk Tue 26-Feb-19 07:29:28

I paid £100 for Hamilton and vowed that would be my absolute limit for the theatre, and I've stuck to that.

Concerts are another matter - I'm taking DGD to see Ariana Grande and they're £114 each. We are up in the gods at the 02 Arena and they were about the cheapest seats I could get.

I need a seat - too old for the mosh pit!

kittylester Tue 26-Feb-19 07:23:22

Further to my last post - I paid £71.90 for my hair (I had a loyalty voucher or it would have been more!)

DH and DS1 like it and I think I like it!

mancgirl Mon 25-Feb-19 23:09:58

We've seen Rod Stewart a couple of times but when I looked at the price for a half decent seat, £125, I decided against it. Also just got in the Wimbledon draw seats for the ladies final but at £375, reluctantly decided against going even though I am a Wimbledon fanatic and have been lucky to go previously. Now, had it been the men's final, I would have gone!

MissAdventure Mon 25-Feb-19 19:30:04

£16.50 is a reasonable price, I think.
I wouldn't want to go over £20 though.

vickymeldrew Mon 25-Feb-19 19:21:46

B9. What a miserable old skinflint your friend seems to be! He could have declined gracefully citing some spurious reason. I hate meanness. The good thing is you’re not married to him! Enjoy your special birthday ?

trisher Mon 25-Feb-19 14:45:22

Wetherspoons is OK for the occasional lunch but not for a special occasion. I suspect he might somehow be accidentally removed from my address book

B9exchange Mon 25-Feb-19 14:06:49

Forget the last three word! smile