Gransnet forums

Chat

How much is the most you would pay?

(163 Posts)
trisher Sat 23-Feb-19 12:55:32

I've come to the conclusion that I set quite low limits compared with other people about how much I will pay for things. A friend and I were discussing theatre tickets, I find £50 about enough but wouldn't go past £100 which apparently means most London theatres now. I think £200 dresses are too much apart maybe for a one off occasion like a wedding and then I would have to be sure I loved it and couldn't find anything cheaper. Do you set limits on what you pay for things?

MissAdventure Sat 23-Feb-19 13:04:30

Oh yes!
I'm a terrible skinflint.
Spending £200 on a dress wouldn't even enter my head.
I would perhaps, stretch to £200 for a show or gig, because the memories would ensure I had my moneys worth.

grannysue05 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:12:13

Yes.
Sandwiches.
I am happy to pay £3 or £4 pounds for a decent sandwich with quality ingredients but draw the line at a famous department store
who charges £7.50 for an open sandwich.
I think they are just not worth it.

grannyactivist Sat 23-Feb-19 13:14:53

trisher your 'low' limits are far higher than I would be prepared to pay, which just goes to show how relative such things are.
My greatest expenditure is always on the accommodation costs for our holiday with our extended family. We go to Cornwall for one or two weeks and stay in self catering houses, but this year the costs have escalated to such a degree that I can't afford to rent a large house this year. I've compromised by renting a smaller house and there will be a guest rota for the house with the others camping nearby. My absolute top limit is £2400 for a two week stay for a minimum of six people in a house that has at least two bathrooms - and many of my friends and acquaintances think that is very little to pay in high season!

Greenfinch Sat 23-Feb-19 13:23:04

£2.50 for coffee or £1.80 for tea. Not many options open for me !

Poppyred Sat 23-Feb-19 13:27:06

‘Happy to pay £3 or £4 for a sandwich” - I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night! Lol

grannyactivist Sat 23-Feb-19 13:29:11

Me too Poppyred. grin

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:37:20

I’ve just paid nearly £200 to go to the ABBA party at the O2.
I have palpitations just thinking about it but I’m expecting it to be fabulous.Thank goodness I’m still working part time.
On the other hand I’ve just been to a wedding wearing a Hobbs dress and jacket that I paid £23.50 for on eBay so I guess it’s swings and roundabouts.

KatyK Sat 23-Feb-19 13:38:32

Yes I set a limit. My sisters are life long Rod Stewart fans and have seen him in concert every time he has come to this city. He is coming here in the summer and they are going. He is coming back in December and the tickets are £175 each. They won't be going to that one. We have made an exception for Michael Bublé tickets this year (£90 each) but I have a special birthday and it's our Golden Wedding smile

EllanVannin Sat 23-Feb-19 14:02:13

Blimey, £200 for a dress ? I'd want a couple of outfits for that !
I got a " barely worn " trouser suit for a wedding last year £8 !

I don't skimp on food though I have to admit and will pay as much for a fillet steak as a joint of meat would cost------but it is maybe a once a month treat.

Maggiemaybe Sat 23-Feb-19 14:11:46

Like others, I’d spend a lot more on events and experiences than I would on “stuff”. We practically had to get a second mortgage to go to the London Olympics for a few days, but it was worth every penny. I’m a notorious skinflint when it comes to household goods and clothes. My DDs try to tell me that I should buy clothes I actually like, not those on the final reduction sales rack. I doubt I’ve ever paid more than £20 for a “normal” dress (though it would have had 75% knocked off the original price grin)

KatyK Sat 23-Feb-19 14:13:13

I love buying clothes but rarely anything expensive. I go off them anyway!

trisher Sat 23-Feb-19 14:53:45

You're all making me feel better. The £200 dress wasn't mine but a friends and she thought I was a bit of a cheapskate because I wouldn't expect to spend so much. (It actually didn't look £200)

GrannyIris5 Sat 23-Feb-19 15:01:47

I won’t spend money on new clothes or shoes, but I’ll happily spend cash on my baking/biscuit icing hobby or any amount getting decent quality dog food for my girls. Might have to cancel Cornwall holiday because of the vet bill and my dentist who thinks I’ve extremely deep pockets.

MissAdventure Sat 23-Feb-19 15:01:48

I do resent paying a lot for a cup of coffee.
About £3 is my absolute limit for a fancy one.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-Feb-19 15:03:21

Surely our spending caps are relative to our income and savings?

MissAdventure Sat 23-Feb-19 15:04:42

Well, unless you're Meghan Markle or however you spell it.

GabriellaG54 Sat 23-Feb-19 15:23:37

I'm not one for eating out as one can never be sure just how fresh the food is and lots of chefs take smoking breaks. Do they wash hands or breathe over your food as they plate up?
Besides which, a lot of food is pre-
prepped miles away and frozen.
The exception is cod and chips from a good chippy, about £6-8 by the sea.
Never pay silly money for coffee and cake but so do pay for organic bread baked locally, British fruit and veg in season and local conserves and yogurts, butter, cheese.
Clothes? £25 tops for trousers, £20-25 or less for jeans, £30 max for tops. Shoes?...it depends but certainly nowhere near £100.
My fav ankle boots were £4 from a charity shop and were originally from Tesco (F&F)
I recently paid £11.50 to get them heeled. shock
I do spend a fair bit on homeware and bedding but always want a bargain.

BlueBelle Sat 23-Feb-19 15:44:47

Blimey you all put me to shame I ve never spent that sort of money £35 for a theatre ticket would be my limit and most of my clothes that aren’t charity shop would be in the £20-£30 range, highest I ve paid for shoes/boots is £45 I would never pay £6 or £7 for a sandwich I could have made at home £3 ish would be my limit and a coffee would be £1,50 to £2.50
£6-8 is high for fish and chips Gabrielle large (and it’s huge) cod and chips would be over £4 under £5 and I live by the seaside

Charleygirl5 Sat 23-Feb-19 15:51:56

A good job I am sitting down when reading what people pay for items. GrannyGravy my spending is not relative to my income or savings- I am Scottish!!!!

I would prefer not to go than pay £200 for a dress which may only be worn once.

I live in London so unless I want to starve I am resigned to paying over £3 for a sandwich but my last one was only egg and cress- heaven knows what meat or prawns would have cost. I know I am a skinflint and take after my father who rarely let the moths out of his wallet.

Mapleleaf Sat 23-Feb-19 16:14:54

I do tend to set myself limits, even more so now I'm not working. However, as someone up post said, its relative to your own situation and also to your own preferences. £200 for a dress may seem a lot to spend, however, if it's going to get the wear and lasts a decent length of time, then it's probably better than spending £25-30 on something which looks worn out after a few wears and needs replacing more frequently. Perhaps buying things less frequently because they are well made ends up being better value.
Food wise, I shop around, but I do like decent quality and to know its provenance, so probably spend a bit more, but find I have less waste as it gets eaten.
There are no pockets in shrouds.
Shows and such like can be pricey, but they are a treat.

Oldandverygrey Sat 23-Feb-19 16:17:03

I recently paid £8.43 for two pieces of fresh haddock, was stunned at the cost, which incidentally was delicious, but not sure I will be repeating that again.

Chewbacca Sat 23-Feb-19 16:21:17

The most I would pay for:

Theatre/gig tickets £35
Tea or coffee whilst out £3
Shoes /boots £40
Dresses £45
Knitwear £35
New coat £100
Skin care £45

Anything for my home? limitless!

Maggiemaybe Sat 23-Feb-19 16:35:11

I don’t think spending a lot necessarily means that things will last though, Mapleleaf. I’m just going to have to say goodbye very reluctantly to a cream and black stripy sateen shift I bought (yes, in the sale) from Tesco for £10. Of all my clothes it’s been easily the most versatile and most complimented and has seen me through lunches, parties, dances, Christmases, holidays for over 20 years. The material’s gone now by the back seam and despite my best efforts it’s beyond repair. Even now I’m thinking of cutting it down into a little top and a cushion cover (as I said, I’m a skinflint!).

Charleygirl5 Sat 23-Feb-19 16:37:15

I am in a very fortunate position to live in London and be able to get cheapish theatre tickets, mainly for matinees. Now I can walk further than 100 yards I may start doing that again.

I was spoiled when working being given free tickets with great seats occasionally but we had to go that evening most of the time.

I have very wide feet so I have to pay around £79 for a pair of shoes or I would be walking in my bare feet.