Gransnet forums

Chat

Tuneless choirs

(36 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Feb-19 17:17:47

Apparently these are starting all over the country.
They started in Nottingham in 2016.
They seem designed for me. I can’t sing for toffee but am happy to warble away when there isn’t anyone there to tell me to shut up?
tunelesschoir.com

Karanlouise Fri 01-Mar-19 09:28:12

What a brilliant idea, I am a terrible singer, but I love singing along. Shame there isn't one near me, but thanks for the info Pamela.

PamelaJ1 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:01:54

Well done gran from afar. Glad you had a great time.
I’m still mulling it over.

sodapop Fri 01-Mar-19 08:17:40

I think some posters gave been quite harsh about this idea. I'm all for anything which brings people together for a little fun and social interaction. Go for it PamelaJ.

Lollin Thu 28-Feb-19 22:54:03

Absolutely Brilliant idea! Will keep looking for when one is available near me. I'm no where near as reasonable as i used to be so this sounds ideal for getting out and having an enjoyable time. I love singing.

Mycatisahacker Thu 28-Feb-19 22:42:50

Sounds blooming brilliant

Eloethan Thu 28-Feb-19 22:40:35

I don't think that many people are completely tone deaf. As Luckygirl says, why not join a community choir. They are usually quite big and there is safety in numbers! A very few people in our choir aren't that good at holding a tune but there are other people who compensate.

In our choir, there are no auditions but we do sometimes have sheet music. But it isn't necessary to be able to read music - it just helps to see where the notes go up and down and gradually you get to know the time value of the notes and some musical terms. As someone else said, if you don't have the confidence to take part in performances, you don't have to.

I would recommend anyone who likes singing - even if they don't think they're that good - to join a community choir. It is good for mental and physical health and really lifts the spirits. Some choirs organise good social events too.

granfromafar Thu 28-Feb-19 22:28:06

Went to the first session tonight and it was brilliant! So much fun and very popular, the hall it was held in was full, around 60 to 70 people. We were given a folder with all the song lyrics on, but they were also projected onto screens so easy to follow. We sang lots of popular well known songs again Abba, Tom Jones, Beatles so most people knew the words anyway. The majority were women, with just a handful of chaps. I think everyone is looking forward to the next session in 2 weeks time. Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Sparklefizz Mon 25-Feb-19 09:06:45

Well done granfromafar. I'm sure you will love it!

PamelaJ1 Sun 24-Feb-19 20:01:17

Well done gran from afar.
Let us know how you get on.

granfromafar Sun 24-Feb-19 19:37:02

Thanks for putting the information on here. Have thought about joining a group for the 'feel good factor'but lack of confidence and singing ability has put me off. Have just checked the link and there is a group starting in my town this coming Thursday and it's in a hall just a few minutes walk away. I'm signed up!

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Feb-19 18:21:55

Public speaking and singing are everyone's anxieties, Pamela.

Our choir offers a one-off taster session so maybe you could try something like that.

I leave on a high every week and singing has been proven to be very good for everyone.

PamelaJ1 Sun 24-Feb-19 16:39:09

Good point sparkle, maybe I’ll rethink.
Funny isn’t it, I am a pretty confident person except when it comes to this.

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Feb-19 15:46:15

But they practice songs until they get them right. They also put on performances. Absolutely no way am I ever going to stand in front of an audience, even with other singers, to inflict my singing on them. I do know this to be a fact because the friend that gave me this women’s number is a member.

PamelaJ1 We call ourselves the Tone Deaf Choir, but we also practise songs until we get them right, not in a pressurised way, but why would anyone want to go on singing a song badly if you can gently be shown a few ways to improve it?

As far as putting on a performance, you could always just explain that you wouldn't be going along. It's not like being at school. If you can't make it, well, so what?

PamelaJ1 Sun 24-Feb-19 14:20:23

I tried to get someone who runs a community choir near here to start a choir for those of us who can’t sing. She was very nice and tried to get me to come to her choir , which is probably extremely friendly and she assured me non judgemental.

But they practice songs until they get them right. They also put on performances. Absolutely no way am I ever going to stand in front of an audience, even with other singers, to inflict my singing on them. I do know this to be a fact because the friend that gave me this women’s number is a member.

ninathenana Sun 24-Feb-19 10:48:28

Where do I sign !

My lack of singing ability is legendary, but I so love to try.

Luckygirl Sun 24-Feb-19 10:45:03

I always aim for the max quality and highest standards for my singers - but I hope that it is not too obvious! There is huge satisfaction for them in getting something sounding as good as hey can.

Grandma70s Sun 24-Feb-19 09:57:38

Wouldn’t it be better to try to aim for a high standard rather than just be content to be mediocre?

Luckygirl Sun 24-Feb-19 09:32:43

I have run community choirs for decades and still do - this is not a new idea!

No auditions, no reading of music - just lots of laughter and fun.

But.....sometimes people surprise themselves with the quality of the output.

Gonegirl Sun 24-Feb-19 09:26:35

Music lifts the spirit. Poetry calms the soul. Would be good to go to both.

PamelaJ1 Sun 24-Feb-19 09:23:02

Butyoucan probably sing Jacky.

JackyB Sun 24-Feb-19 09:19:55

Sorry but I am a bit of a snob and I think it sounds awful.

Horses for courses I suppose.

Why not join (or start your own) speaking group? We have a local one which puts on performances - poems or monologues spoken in groups, pairs or singly. Many humorous, some very cheeky, some very moving. And no one needs to sing (although most of them can, but that is by the by)

As with singing, you learn to control breathing, projecting your voice, exercise your mind (most recitals are spoken without a script) and it's fun to do.

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Feb-19 08:25:46

To everyone who's thinking about "maybe joining", I say "Go for it!" I thought about it for 3 years, and was worried I'd have to audition remembering the fear of having to audition for the school choir in front of the whole assembly shock!

Eventually I joined one nearby, no auditions and lots of laughs and fun as well as singing .... and an added bonus is that when I went to the asthma clinic for my annual checkup, it seems my breathing into the peak flow meter has improved considerably, and it can only be all the singing that has done that for me!

Gagagran Sun 24-Feb-19 08:18:35

I sing alto in our local 70-strong community choir.

Just have to warn all the former sopranos who think they are now an alto ( happens to a lot of us!) that altos do not often sing the tune. It is much harder to sing the alto part than the soprano part I find, even with other altos singing around you, unless there is a good strong alto present.

That said, I love my choir and we have a lot of fun and friendship every Wednesday evening. Recommend it 100%.

PamelaJ1 Sun 24-Feb-19 07:34:53

There isn’t one near me. I’ve been on their site but only briefly. I’ll have another look later. Maybe I can start one?.
I don’t really need to make money from it though.
Anyone in mid Norfolk know someone who may be interested?

Urmstongran Sat 23-Feb-19 23:06:32

I love the sound (no pun intended) of this! Thanks for the link Gonegirl!
I can’t keep a tune for love nor money but as I’m partially deaf I think that’s the reason?
?