Gransnet forums

Chat

Tuneless choirs

(35 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Feb-19 17:17:47

Apparently these are starting all over the country.
They started in Nottingham in 2016.
They seem designed for me. I can’t sing for toffee but am happy to warble away when there isn’t anyone there to tell me to shut up?
tunelesschoir.com

EllanVannin Sat 23-Feb-19 17:25:09

Does it include a Les Dawson type pianist too ?

Gonegirl Sat 23-Feb-19 17:28:40

That sounds absolutely marvellous! I would love to 'sing' in a choir. I love singing round the house. But it is widely acknowledged in the family that I have no idea of keeping a tune. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one near me. (I would probably be too bad anyway)

www.tunelesschoir.com/

Gonegirl Sat 23-Feb-19 17:29:18

Hope you didn't mind me putting the link up again Pamela.

grannysue05 Sat 23-Feb-19 17:30:33

What a teriffic idea this is.
I love to sing...not very well of course ...but I AM hearty!
Trouble is, I don't read music so traditional choirs and singing groups are not for me.
Tuneless Choirs sounds just the ticket!

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Feb-19 17:30:40

That sounds right up my street (although there probably isn't one near here).
Is there a sudden silence when no-one can reach the high notes?

Gonegirl Sat 23-Feb-19 17:33:40

I bet not Jalima. Everyone just tries their hardest. grin And why not?

EllanVannin Sat 23-Feb-19 17:47:51

A brilliant idea for releasing pent-up feelings and exercising the lungs. I'd go if there was one near enough.

Sparklefizz Sat 23-Feb-19 19:45:01

I have been singing for a year with our local tone deaf choir. It's been great fun, very uplifting .... and actually we're all getting better. Our choir director filmed us on her phone and when I played it back on my computer we sounded fine, and have gone on to sing at an open mic night which went down very well.

I've discovered that I'm an alto, thus explaining which I always squeaked when trying to sing the high notes.

I'd recommend singing in this sort of choir to anyone. It definitely leaves me with a feel-good factor, there are no auditions and there's no pressure. It's totally brilliant!

MiniMoon Sat 23-Feb-19 22:54:27

This has inspired me. I'm going to join our local choir. They meet every Thursday evening, and I've been thinking about it.
I used to be a member of the second oldest choral society in Britain, but that was years ago. I don't think that I sing soprano any more. Perhaps more like an out of practice alto. I've made up my mind, I'm going on Thursday.

Urmstongran Sat 23-Feb-19 23:06:32

I love the sound (no pun intended) of this! Thanks for the link Gonegirl!
I can’t keep a tune for love nor money but as I’m partially deaf I think that’s the reason?
?

PamelaJ1 Sun 24-Feb-19 07:34:53

There isn’t one near me. I’ve been on their site but only briefly. I’ll have another look later. Maybe I can start one?.
I don’t really need to make money from it though.
Anyone in mid Norfolk know someone who may be interested?

Gagagran Sun 24-Feb-19 08:18:35

I sing alto in our local 70-strong community choir.

Just have to warn all the former sopranos who think they are now an alto ( happens to a lot of us!) that altos do not often sing the tune. It is much harder to sing the alto part than the soprano part I find, even with other altos singing around you, unless there is a good strong alto present.

That said, I love my choir and we have a lot of fun and friendship every Wednesday evening. Recommend it 100%.

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Feb-19 08:25:46

To everyone who's thinking about "maybe joining", I say "Go for it!" I thought about it for 3 years, and was worried I'd have to audition remembering the fear of having to audition for the school choir in front of the whole assembly shock!

Eventually I joined one nearby, no auditions and lots of laughs and fun as well as singing .... and an added bonus is that when I went to the asthma clinic for my annual checkup, it seems my breathing into the peak flow meter has improved considerably, and it can only be all the singing that has done that for me!

JackyB Sun 24-Feb-19 09:19:55

Sorry but I am a bit of a snob and I think it sounds awful.

Horses for courses I suppose.

Why not join (or start your own) speaking group? We have a local one which puts on performances - poems or monologues spoken in groups, pairs or singly. Many humorous, some very cheeky, some very moving. And no one needs to sing (although most of them can, but that is by the by)

As with singing, you learn to control breathing, projecting your voice, exercise your mind (most recitals are spoken without a script) and it's fun to do.

PamelaJ1 Sun 24-Feb-19 09:23:02

Butyoucan probably sing Jacky.

Gonegirl Sun 24-Feb-19 09:26:35

Music lifts the spirit. Poetry calms the soul. Would be good to go to both.

Luckygirl Sun 24-Feb-19 09:32:43

I have run community choirs for decades and still do - this is not a new idea!

No auditions, no reading of music - just lots of laughter and fun.

But.....sometimes people surprise themselves with the quality of the output.

Grandma70s Sun 24-Feb-19 09:57:38

Wouldn’t it be better to try to aim for a high standard rather than just be content to be mediocre?

Luckygirl Sun 24-Feb-19 10:45:03

I always aim for the max quality and highest standards for my singers - but I hope that it is not too obvious! There is huge satisfaction for them in getting something sounding as good as hey can.

ninathenana Sun 24-Feb-19 10:48:28

Where do I sign !

My lack of singing ability is legendary, but I so love to try.

PamelaJ1 Sun 24-Feb-19 14:20:23

I tried to get someone who runs a community choir near here to start a choir for those of us who can’t sing. She was very nice and tried to get me to come to her choir , which is probably extremely friendly and she assured me non judgemental.

But they practice songs until they get them right. They also put on performances. Absolutely no way am I ever going to stand in front of an audience, even with other singers, to inflict my singing on them. I do know this to be a fact because the friend that gave me this women’s number is a member.

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Feb-19 15:46:15

But they practice songs until they get them right. They also put on performances. Absolutely no way am I ever going to stand in front of an audience, even with other singers, to inflict my singing on them. I do know this to be a fact because the friend that gave me this women’s number is a member.

PamelaJ1 We call ourselves the Tone Deaf Choir, but we also practise songs until we get them right, not in a pressurised way, but why would anyone want to go on singing a song badly if you can gently be shown a few ways to improve it?

As far as putting on a performance, you could always just explain that you wouldn't be going along. It's not like being at school. If you can't make it, well, so what?

PamelaJ1 Sun 24-Feb-19 16:39:09

Good point sparkle, maybe I’ll rethink.
Funny isn’t it, I am a pretty confident person except when it comes to this.

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Feb-19 18:21:55

Public speaking and singing are everyone's anxieties, Pamela.

Our choir offers a one-off taster session so maybe you could try something like that.

I leave on a high every week and singing has been proven to be very good for everyone.