Gransnet forums

Chat

bums on seats

(79 Posts)
petunia Sun 03-Mar-19 09:49:59

OH and I love to go to live music performances. Musicals, operas, varied performers, professional and amateur. We sample them all. We manage to go to a performance several times a year depending on accessibility. We try also to see the bands of our youth who still manage to stagger out on stage and belt out those tunes.

However, two disturbing things seem to be creeping into the live performance experience.

One is that big venues allow food and drink into the auditorium nowadays. This is annoying when, comfortably seated I find I have to stand up as the person in the middle of the row decides to replenish the pints of beer. And later, dispose of those pints in the middle of the performance. Looking around the venue you can see disturbed rows standing to allow a shuffling figure out then in again clutching two pints of beer in plastic glasses. But hey, venues have to make a profit.

We went to the Genting Arena on one occasion and the two women in front brought in fish and chips. One of then didn't finish hers and put the half eaten meal under her chair where it exuded the smell of chips for the rest of the performance. Not good but I can live with it.

But the thing I find most disturbing is the recent practice of as soon as the act hits the stage, the audience claps and cheers and then, stands up. And they stay standing, swaying, arms waving in time to the music for the entire performance. So where ever I sit, having paid a considerable amount of cash, I am obliged to stand also. But, being a short person, I cant see a thing.

It happened again last night. In tiered seats, chosen to hopefully avoid the standing scenario, the first row stood when the main act came on. Then like a Mexican wave, each row in turn got to their feet. I saw nothing of the performance, apart form the giant of a man in front of me having a jolly good time bobbing his head, clapping and swaying to the music.

When did it become normal for people to stand throughout a performance. In the past few years I've not seen Blondie. I couldn't see Neil Diamond. I only heard ELO. I saw slivers of The Who. I have caught glimpses of many of the old names but rarely the whole body. I've not seen the whole band at the same time, on the same stage for years.

In a dark mood after the performance last night, I vowed never to attend a live performance again. But then looking at the programme for later in the year.......

Teetime Sun 03-Mar-19 10:12:02

I agree after being dwarfed by a standing audience at an ELO concert and forced to stare at the screen only for 2 hours I wondered what we had paid £90 a seat for. The most annoying thing however was not the two lads in front went in and out constantly to get more lager and then let it out again it was a woman next to them jigging away all night out of time with the music!

Teetime Sun 03-Mar-19 10:12:51

Going to see the Halle in Nottingham on Thursday this is always a lovely concert and venue.

Gonegirl Sun 03-Mar-19 10:22:50

Grown people get far too excited these days. Ridiculous. (Were they fed too well as infants?)

EllanVannin Sun 03-Mar-19 10:26:30

Grown ? It sounds more to me that some people haven't grown enough !

petunia Sun 03-Mar-19 10:29:40

ha ha ellan. i think im one of them who hasnt grown up. in my next life i want to be tall and willowy. 6ft 2inch minimum (missing the point entirely)

Gonegirl Sun 03-Mar-19 10:30:26

It's the same on these Saturday evening programmes (The Voice and suchlike). Cringe making and, therefore, un-watchable. Far too much over- excitement.

EllanVannin Sun 03-Mar-19 10:32:52

petunia, I meant brainwise as opposed to stature but I'm sure you understood what I meant smile

EllanVannin Sun 03-Mar-19 10:34:56

I don't watch any programmes like " The Voice " because I can't stand the hysteria that such programmes attract.

EllanVannin Sun 03-Mar-19 10:36:55

These sort of things are making people neurotic and it's calmness that most need if they don't want MH issues !

petunia Sun 03-Mar-19 10:59:33

ha ha ellan. i was being silly really. its a first world problem 1 know. but last nights concert brought it all back to me. thing is, the average age of the audience must have been mid sixties. yet they want to stand up for two hours. are they trying to prove they are still young and fit. maybe this morning they are feeling a bit sore and stiff. ha ha, that will teach them to stand up and jig about

ninathenana Sun 03-Mar-19 11:17:37

I'll send you all a warning next time I go to the theatre, I danced in my seat all through Motown Story smile
everyone stood for the last number.

I don't know when the food and drink policy changed, I didn't think you were allowed to bring in food from outside.. We saw Michael McIntyre at 02 a couple of years ago. I had my sealed bottle of water confiscated but I could purchase bottled water once past the barrier at twice the price I'd paid angry

Floradora9 Sun 03-Mar-19 11:24:37

Go to live streaming of the Royal Opera House dance and operas and there is no atmospher at all . We love going as they cost so little and we have no hope of seeing them live but nobody claps or shows any sing of enjoyment . My DH sits and silently claps . I love the opera houses in Italy where they clap in unison you really feel part of it all .

JackyB Sun 03-Mar-19 11:24:57

I remember when we sat on the floor. This was at Cambridge Corn Exchange in the early 70s.

The last big gig I went to was in a sports arena. The seats were steeply tiered and no one stood up.

I keep vowing never to go to classical concerts again because of people coughing. Why oh why do they inflict that on others? They can't enjoy it themselves either, with the bothersome cough and accompanying symptoms. But then something catches my eye and off I go again....

petra Sun 03-Mar-19 11:30:16

Ninathenana
I'm with you ?
Some people certainly wouldn't want to be next to / behind/ infront of me and my daughter at a concert.
We are 10/10 on the whoop whoop scale ?

Jane10 Sun 03-Mar-19 11:36:00

Oh God. Whooping? Just no. Anyone would think you're American!

Scribbles Sun 03-Mar-19 13:09:42

Petunia, you've outlined precisely all the reasons I don't and won't go to live gigs. There's no pleasure in it.

BlueBelle Sun 03-Mar-19 13:26:14

It reminds me I was at an outdoor concert a few years back and everyone was enjoying the sunshine and sitting and lying in the grass looking up at the stage As the performers arrived just like a Mexican wave as Petunia says the first few rows started standing up, but the back runners were having none of it and as if in one voice there was a loud bellowing shout of ‘sit down’ it grew in volume until the front runners all started to return to the grass and peace returned

Charleygirl5 Sun 03-Mar-19 13:41:16

I wanted to see the Stones last year but decided not to because I can only stand for around 15 minutes and did not want my enjoyment of the show killed because of people standing and singing. Whooping is a new one on me- I hear it on TV and turn the sound down.

I saw a Freddie Mercury tribute locally recently but thankfully it was only during the last few minutes when people started to stand- even me for a few minutes.

Cabbie21 Sun 03-Mar-19 13:45:03

I went to an excellent concert last night. It was in a cathedral, so there was no food or drink brought in.
Everyone remained seated, until the end, when the choir was given a standing ovation.
OP, you must be going to the wrong sort of concert!!

Elrel Sun 03-Mar-19 14:10:44

DD kindly gave me tickets for 3 of Leonard Cohen's last tours. They were all near the stage which was great but I did notice the lager lovers trooping out and in. Any standing was confined to the end of the concerts.
I've always wanted to see The Magic Flute and am taking myself soon. Unlikely to be any unseemly behaviour there!
Whooping and clicking are very popular at some poetry evenings. Arthritis has put paid to any clicking and I'm not sure how to whoop!

callgirl1 Sun 03-Mar-19 21:39:02

My daughter 3 and I are off to the Albert Hall in just under 3 weeks, for the Classical Spectacular. It will be our 3rd time, but we`ve never experienced any standing, apart from the flag wavers during Rule Brittania and Land of Hope and Glory, my daughter being one of them, I wave my flag from my seat!

notanan2 Sun 03-Mar-19 21:52:16

Nothing more depressing than going to see a band give their heart and soul while half the audience sits and stares blankly at them!

I try to avoid music venues that dont have standing tickets (standing venues usually also have seats with good views for those who cant stand). Its not always possible as not all venues can fold away the stalls for music performances. If its all seated and I pick stalls I do expect/hope that others will stand. Terraces are the places for sitting.

It was ALWAYS 'normal" for people to stand and move/engage in music performances. What has changed is that a lot of music venues have closed down so bands are playing in multi purpose seated venues more and more

Jane10 Sun 03-Mar-19 21:58:53

Whooping and clicking at poetry events?? Blimey Elrel, what's wrong with old fashioned clapping?!

notanan2 Sun 03-Mar-19 21:59:34

Clapping isnt inclusive apparently