Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you think your mother would have appreciated GN

(62 Posts)
TerriBull Mon 04-Mar-19 15:46:58

Just that really, I'm sure if my mum had been on line this may have been a site that appealed to her. What about yours? and if you think she would have subscribed to this site what threads would have drawn her in?

Urmstongran Tue 05-Mar-19 07:18:51

My lovely mum wasn’t ‘teckie’ in any way but she loved chatting to people - a real people person my mum! Very popular and kind. I think she’d have liked the concept of GN though.

MissA ??
Honestly I don’t know how you think them up ??

JackyB Tue 05-Mar-19 09:24:57

A year or so ago I thought of reading a couple of GN threads to my Mum and I think she would have enjoyed them. But now her hearing and lack of concentration make it too difficult to keep up a conversation. Sometimes I might throw in a comment I have read on GN.

She has a mathematical mind and took to the computer well. However, it was just being phased in as she retired so she never really got to use it much, except at home for accounts and letters and logging the meter readings.

She was given a new computer for her 90th birthday and sent e-mails and looked at photos which we had scanned in and, of course, played the odd game of solitaire, but she doesn't really use it any more now. Shame, because the children (my 3 DS) would love to write and send her photos.

She may have enjoyed GN but would have looked at the recipes, health news, book reviews and household information more than the chatty threads I think.

harrigran Tue 05-Mar-19 09:37:32

I think my mother would have loved being on here, she liked nothing better than a good discussion and was known for her soirees. She was Hyacinth Bucket.

stella1949 Tue 05-Mar-19 10:06:12

No, definitely not. She would have been very suspicious of people talking to total strangers about their problems.

Nannyxthree Tue 05-Mar-19 10:28:06

Mine would have enjoyed reading this as she was nosey, but she would not have attempted to join in as she would have been suspicious of where the info. was going. Probably just as well as her answer to any of the problems on here would be 'you've just got to get on with things'.

Bellasnana Tue 05-Mar-19 10:33:55

No! She was far too busy to sit down for more than five minutes. Even in her old age she kept busy and was always out and about. I don’t think she would have understood it at all and I frequently feel guilty about the time I waste doing nothing. If she’s watching me she will be appalled.grin

Harris27 Tue 05-Mar-19 10:37:29

No my mother was very shy and private so was my mil you had to not discuss anything unsavoury or to do with feelings if family! We discuss most things openly in our house but I'm a private person like her really? So....

Cherrytree59 Tue 05-Mar-19 10:43:28

Annie I agree with your Mother, family business stays in the family.smile

merlotgran Tue 05-Mar-19 10:56:31

My mother would have been a nightmare. Margot Leadbetter? On Gransnet?

She'd have probably got herself banned. grin

Galen Tue 05-Mar-19 11:08:29

Merlot are we sisters?

dragonfly46 Tue 05-Mar-19 11:12:09

My mum would have hated it. She was very suspicious of technology and would not have had a computer in the house.