Gransnet forums

Chat

Strangest request

(69 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Fri 08-Mar-19 11:08:22

Sorting through some old files I came across the paperwork for when we bought this house. We mentioned to a neighbour we were making an offer and he said he would also like the house and suggested we lend him the money to buy it, my DH would then carry out the renovations (at our expense) and when it was finished the neighbour would sell his house and pay us back! He was very surprised when we declined. What is the strangest request other GNs have received

Missfoodlove Fri 08-Mar-19 12:09:52

30 us years ago a neighbour suggested we may like to take part in “wife swapping”.
They were involved with a couple who lived an hour away and they felt the travelling was a hinderence as one of them had to drive.
As we lived next door they thought we were handy!!!!!
I declined.

EllanVannin Fri 08-Mar-19 12:23:33

Some people aren't normal are they ?

MissAdventure Fri 08-Mar-19 13:00:41

missfoodlove
grin

Lily65 Fri 08-Mar-19 13:02:20

Handy?! It's so inconvenient having to drive to those swingers things.

muffinthemoo Fri 08-Mar-19 13:05:33

A couple of extremely refusable (but sadly totally serious) marriage proposals

MissAdventure Fri 08-Mar-19 13:09:33

I had a man last week who did a very theatrical double take when he saw me across the road, who came over and said he would like me to be his partner.
He offered to spoil me and take me out for meals (probably realised I like my food just by looking at me) and so on.
I declined.

callgirl1 Fri 08-Mar-19 16:30:25

Many years ago, we were looking to buy a house, we had 2 young children and were very cramped in our rented and decrepit 2 up 2 down terraced with no bathroom and an outside (shared) toilet. My in laws suggested we`d be better off in their house, 4 bedrooms and 4 rooms downstairs. I jumped at the chance to buy it, it was a lovely house, but changed my mind when we found out what their plan was. They wanted a bungalow, and had only 2 years left on their mortgage, they expected us to take on the bungalow mortgage and they`d just pay off theirs over 2 years and be mortgage free. But the bungalow would have cost a lot more than their house, so we declined.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Mar-19 16:58:44

Mine was nothing more than amusing but a cheeky request none the less Some years ago doing some renovations we would put things outside the back gate ready to take to the tip and invariably they would ‘walk’ before we got them there One day we put out some pipes lent up against the back gate and lo and behold a short time later they had gone a little while after there was a knock on the door and an ‘old boy’ unknown to us stood there and said ‘I ve taken the pipes by your back gate do you happen to have the brackets that go with them’

moggie57 Fri 08-Mar-19 17:17:29

Bloody cheek

annsixty Fri 08-Mar-19 17:29:08

A woman I have known for many years, whose company I can tolerate for two hours twice a year as long as others are present rang me last Saturday morning to suggest that now I am on my own, I might like to move into the McCarthy and Stone flats where she lives and we will both be paid £1000, a million couldn't tempt me.

Floradora9 Fri 08-Mar-19 17:35:40

Not from neighbours but when we were selling out house DH and I left my DM in charge of the children while we did some shopping . When we came home she told us that two ladies had come to the door asking to look at the house . She explained that it was was sold but they were not put off , they asked if they could look anyway .

petra Fri 08-Mar-19 18:32:21

When we lived in Bulgaria a local lady arrived in a taxi.
Nothing unusual in that, only the fact that she was in her hospital gown and attached to a drip!!!
She whanted us to buy her house.

BradfordLass72 Fri 08-Mar-19 19:49:31

When my sons graduated from their bunk beds to separate beds and separate rooms, I sold the bunk beds via the local newspaper.

A man rang a few days later asking if they were still available and when I said 'no' asked me to describe them.

Me: 'Sorry, they've gone.'
Him: 'Yes but what did they look like?'

I don't know whether he was a masochist who just liked to make himself more unhappy about losing a bargain but I was non-plussed. hmm

grannyticktock Fri 08-Mar-19 20:49:35

Just between my husband's death and the funeral, a strange man called at the door and asked, very politely and apologetically, if I was considering selling the house because he and his wife had always thought what a lovely house it was. He didn't know, of course, about my husband's death, and I didn't humiliate him by telling him, I just said no, I had no plans to sell at the moment. Imagine his embarrassment if I'd said, "Well, once my husband's funeral is over, I'll give the matter some thought, but it's early days yet!"

RosieLeah Fri 08-Mar-19 21:44:03

Not actually strange but twice now, I have had a neighbour ask if they could have the code for my internet hub, so they could share my wi-fi.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 08-Mar-19 22:18:09

Went to visit my mil who lived in a very old historical arms house. I opened the gate, walked into the cobbled yard and in through her open front door. I found I being followed by a group of six tourist who thought it was en to the public. public.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Mar-19 22:23:40

grin

maxdecatt Sat 09-Mar-19 09:19:17

What sort of swapping was he thinking of? Maybe the one wife baked delicious cakes and the other baked things resembling paving slabs. Maybe the one husband was a good mechanic and the other could not use a screwdriver. In such circumstances a swapping arrangement would be useful on an as-and-when-required basis. I cannot think of any other reason, can you?

maxdecatt Sat 09-Mar-19 09:23:24

Flying back from South Africa to attend my father's funeral I was busy writing in a pad on my lap. Sitting next to me was a lady that insisted on talking to me, a complete stranger. She told me that I seemed very busy, why would I not have a conversation with her? I told her the truth: "I am writing my father's obituary, it is his funeral tomorrow". She never said another word after that.

Elegran Sat 09-Mar-19 09:34:47

I put a trailer onto Gumtree because I no longer had a car. Someone contacted me to ask if I could deliver it to him. Did he think I was going to push it for fifty miles?

adaunas Sat 09-Mar-19 09:54:05

When my in-laws were selling their house, one couple said they couldn’t afford a mortgage asked if they could pay the my FIL £5 a week instead.
When we moved, we couldn’t move in on the day contracts were exchanged, but just collected the keys. The people who we were buying from asked if they could stay in the house till we were ready to move in, so they could decorate their new house!

NannyG123 Sat 09-Mar-19 10:08:55

I put an old mattress in my front garden waiting for hubby to take it to tip, someone knocked on my door, asked me if they could take it, I say yes of course. Then they asked me how they could get it home. I just said I don't know but it'll be here until tomorrow. Don't know if they thought I would say I'll deliver it for them.

Annaram1 Sat 09-Mar-19 10:09:48

My flat is on the market and I have had serious interest but they all have to sell their own places first. One young woman told me her house is on the market and as soon as it is sold she will put in an offer on mine. Problem is, her house is £100000 less thatn mine. She suggests that I can just keep a quarter share in my flat. I won't have the money for the one I have my eye on if I agree.

maryhoffman37 Sat 09-Mar-19 10:15:05

A Black American ballet dancer who had been influenced by a picture book of mine in her career choice (nice story so far) asked if I would send 150 free copies of the book to the US for her students.