Gransnet forums

Chat

Strangest request

(70 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Fri 08-Mar-19 11:08:22

Sorting through some old files I came across the paperwork for when we bought this house. We mentioned to a neighbour we were making an offer and he said he would also like the house and suggested we lend him the money to buy it, my DH would then carry out the renovations (at our expense) and when it was finished the neighbour would sell his house and pay us back! He was very surprised when we declined. What is the strangest request other GNs have received

Elegran Sun 10-Mar-19 11:06:50

You don't have to go as far as Kenya or San Cristobal for buyers. In 1961, A friend and I were on a beach in the South of France with our boyfriends when someone approached the lads and made an offer for us. They refused (but told us the amount was tempting. I don't think I'd be worth much today.)

LadyGracie Sun 10-Mar-19 12:13:14

We had a wire fence in our back garden and a very nosey neighbour, we decided we'd put a 6' fence up and told the neighbours out of courtesy, they told DH that's fine as long as you have the posts your side, my DH agreed! I was annoyed with my DH, I later went round when DH was out and asked if they wanted to pay half, neighbour said no because he wasn't even bothered about having a fence. Needless to say he got the posts!

annep1 Sun 10-Mar-19 12:31:22

LadyGracie thats fine if the posts are on your land but the posts for my neighbours would actually have been in my garden attached to the dividing wall. They asked could they come into the garden to attach them. Gross nerve.

Charleygirl5 Sun 10-Mar-19 12:39:12

A few years ago I decided to get rid of my very large rug in my living room so advertised it through Freecycle. I could not move it as it was so unwieldy and heavy. I had mentioned that transport would be required. What I did not realise was that the young girl intended using public transport ie a bus.

I had recently had major surgery so was using a pair of crutches and I could not stand for long. She still wanted the rug so made arrangements for a local minicab firm to pick it up but he was none too pleased when he saw I could and would not help him. All this nonsense for free but at least I got rid of the rug.

BradfordLass72 Sun 10-Mar-19 13:56:35

Charleygirl5 That reminds me of an incident not long since. Not exactly a large rug on a bus but in that vein.

As a result of disability, I am eligible for home help and on Fridays someone comes to take me shopping.

My regular lady was off sick, the agency rang to ask if I still wanted to go shopping, I said 'Yes please'.

Instead of a worker in a car, as usual, they sent a young lass on one of those mini scooter things!

How they expected her to get a disabled 72 year old, with the weekend's shopping, on the back of that, I cannot guess.
grin

GreenGran78 Sun 10-Mar-19 14:48:09

People just don’t bother to read instructions. I recently sold my treadmill (don’t ask!) I carefully posted the exact measurements, and said that it would need a van and two strong men.
The idiot who bought it turned up by himself in a Fiat Punto.

Charleygirl5 Sun 10-Mar-19 16:15:13

GreenGran like you, I write instructions in words of one syllable and still they are misconstrued.

BradfordLass maybe the young girl thought she may park her scooter at your house and the pair of you could stroll to the shops!!! Are people thick?!

lemongrove Sun 10-Mar-19 17:00:15

LadyGracie if the fence is your responsibility then the neighbours were correct in asking you to have the posts on your side.
Actually, I prefer to have the posts, as we can then put wire across from post to post and grown honeysuckle, roses and clematis up them.

lemongrove Sun 10-Mar-19 17:02:09

Framilode grin ?....awful men!

Auntieflo Sun 10-Mar-19 19:37:23

Just wondering, can you legally have a fence more than 6 feet high?

annep1 Sun 10-Mar-19 19:43:05

I suppose if both sides are ok with it Auntieflo.

Marthjolly1 Sun 10-Mar-19 20:24:58

MissAdventure youve jogged an old memory that I had completely forgotten. Over 30 years ago as a single mum of 2 I took in some private typing to help pay the bills. A very short, wide, welldressed Nigerian gentleman came to the house to deliver some work. When he came back to collect and pay he exuberently expressed his wish to marry me as he was really in love with me and I would make a wonderful wife etc etc. I really struggled to not laugh as I showed him the door. He seemed really surprised I was not jumping to take up his offer. This has given me such a laugh remembering this tonight. grin

notanan2 Sun 10-Mar-19 21:11:46

Actually sharing wifi isnt a bad idea, my NDN is on a different network to us. They get better coverage from THEIR mobile when they visit OUR house.... and our modem shows up in all of their rooms but not all of hours!

notanan2 Sun 10-Mar-19 21:12:09

Modem not mobile

MissAdventure Sun 10-Mar-19 22:25:52

Marthajolly
My admirer was a Nigerian man, too. smile

Marthjolly1 Sun 10-Mar-19 22:37:35

Misadventure grin I think they are well known for it

BradfordLass72 Mon 11-Mar-19 00:06:06

MissAdventure You too have jogged a memory.

In 1971 I was in Colchester doing a survey and report on British Army design and was billeted in a local hotel.

In the dining room, a handsome man asked if he could sit at my table; told me he was Lebanese and part of a family which owned a multi-national company seeking to open a branch in England.

He was pleasant enough until I was ready to leave when he asked if he could come to my room and continue the conversation. He'd been flirting openly so 'conversation' was not uppermost in his mind.

I told him I was married and not interested and I was sure he could find a slim girl to keep him company.
In those days I was not at all confident that my plump figure was in any way attractive (I've learned better since!!grin

But he was not to be put off and came upstairs, closely followed by the Concierge trying to dissuade him.

I got into my room and locked the door but for the next 10 minutes he made a nuisance of himself knocking repeatedly until finally he shouted (I assume he thought this would persuade me), 'But I like thick women!'

Riggie Mon 11-Mar-19 18:42:30

Greengran our UK council did a one off big clear up when we could out anything out. They did it area by area - we knew it was coming but they only gave us a few days notice if the actual day to deter fly tippers. Ours was on a Monday and we could officially start putting stuff out on the sunday. Half the stuff put out was taken by someone else to reuse. I spotted a couple of things I fancied but was too embarassed to go and get them . I was waiting for dark by which time they'd gone!!

Wish theyd do it again.

GreenGran78 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:45:21

Riggie The trouble with this idea is our climate. The Aussies can be pretty sure that everything will stay nice and dry Anything we put out would probably be ruined in a matter of hours.
It's certainly the best way of getting the maximum amount recycled, even if the dealers pick up a lot of it to sell on. It doesn't do to be shy if you want to grab a bargain though.