Gransnet forums

Chat

This made me think today

(61 Posts)
grannyqueenie Sun 10-Mar-19 23:01:34

We’ve all got our own worries, whether it’s concerns about the family, health issues or financial constraints. It’s only natural to think about these things and sometimes lose a bit of sleep in the process. Reading this today just reminded me of the importance of not missing the good things of today by wortying about what may, or equally may not, happen tomorrow. Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m very aware that many folk are dealing with with huge issues and I wouldn’t want to minimise that in any way. A reminder to myself as much as anyone else!

kittylester Tue 12-Mar-19 12:31:19

I've pmed you Elen. Don't panic and cancel the appointment. The advice is not correct.

pydora Tue 12-Mar-19 11:55:23

Many years ago I went into a local Insurance Brokers and on the wall was a beautiful picture of a Panda eating bamboo, looking very relaxed and the caption said 'The things I worry about, never happen!'

I often think on this poster when I start to worry about anything, and put the concern to the back of my mind, telling myself that I will worry about it when I know I need to!

It works for me !!

Elenkalubleton Tue 12-Mar-19 11:26:50

The friend who’s handling the POA,he has been practising for 5 years,I feel I want to cancel his appointment to give extra time for the paperwork to be returned,but am also keen for him to be seen, as we have been waiting since before Xmas, where he willingly went to the Doctor,who gave him a brief memory test,and from his answers was obviously concerned.Thankyou for your concern, I am grateful.

kittylester Tue 12-Mar-19 11:13:47

I help deliver Carer's courses for the Alzheimer's Society and the advice we give to Carers is that a diagnosis does not necessarily mean the person lacks capacity.

Obviously, it depends on the individual but you could check your specific circumstances with the office of the public guardian, age UK or the Alzheimer's Society.

Can I ask who told you that? Pm me if you'd rather.

And, don't worry!

Elenkalubleton Tue 12-Mar-19 10:57:42

Kitty,have been told that if the POA is not completed before he has memory test, then it can’t be implemented at whatever stage his illness is at!Worrying again?

kittylester Tue 12-Mar-19 10:21:44

Actually, dud I mean a positive memory test or a negative one? Anyway, you know what I meant I think.

Banging on again, but please contact the Alzheimer's Society if your DH does get a dementia diagnosis of any sort.

grumppa Tue 12-Mar-19 10:05:14

Kitty Leather, eh? Well, well, well...

Elenkalubleton Tue 12-Mar-19 09:22:53

KittyLester! predictive text Bah !

Elenkalubleton Tue 12-Mar-19 09:21:48

Kitty leather,thanks for that,feel better now?x

sodapop Tue 12-Mar-19 08:31:47

I think if you are a worrier you have to go with it and find ways of coping. It's no good people saying don't worry if that's in your make up. I spend a short time daily going through my concerns, deal with the ones I can then put the others aside. I agree with other posters, why does everything seem so much worse in the early hours of the morning.

OldGeezer Tue 12-Mar-19 08:26:59

My sadly missed partner (as in business partner) tried to live by: Worry about the things you can change and accept with good grace those things that you cannot.

Ashcombe Tue 12-Mar-19 08:19:23

Like others here, my dear late mother worried about everything. She spent her final year in a care home, where the Manager would sit with her each morning and say, “Now, what are you worried about today, Sylvia?”
I like the idea that worrying is caring by another name.

kittylester Tue 12-Mar-19 08:16:53

Just having a positive memory test does not mean that your husband automatically has a lack of mental capacity. It could be years before you have to use the POA.

The forms are very easy to do on line and probably quicker. The Office of the Public Guardian people are very helpful too.

Elenkalubleton Tue 12-Mar-19 07:43:13

Hi,I have a worry,hope someone can help?Am in process of signing papers for POA for my husband, he has a memory test on the 1st April, signed first lot yesterday and when daughters have signed later this week will be posted off.Its a friend who’s handling the POA he is not a solicitor, but is a Will writer,because of a backlog the papers may not be authorised before April 1 st.I don’t know anyone who’s been in this situation, Will the POA be valid?

Brigidsdaughter Mon 11-Mar-19 23:06:38

video.nationalgeographic.com/video/short-film-showcase/00000158-457d-d0be-a1dc-4f7f8e650000
Starlings Murmuration. It's uplifting in a world of flux

Day6 Mon 11-Mar-19 22:31:10

Thank you *grannyqueenie" Wise ords.

I am a worrier. Always have been. I could worry for England. If there were a worry-warts race, I'd win it. Gold medal Olympian for worrying and being anxious. grin

Over the years however, the old adage "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it" has helped me. It's no good worrying in advance about what 'might' happen. I also know (from living this long) that I am a survivor. I have faced hellish times but I am still standing. We are stronger than we think.

Now is all we have. It helps me when I remember that and try to be mindful of all the lovely things that happen during the course of a day, no matter how small.

annodomini Mon 11-Mar-19 22:26:00

My Mum was an inveterate worrier. She worried more about me than I have ever worried about myself or about my DSs and DC. It's never been a conscious decision on my part - I'm just not made that way. Worrying has never changed anything! However, it sometimes happens that if there is something on my mind it comes out in strange dreams, but perhaps that is what dreams are for - unravelling the webs we've woven by day.

justanovice Mon 11-Mar-19 22:05:56

That's lovely. Just what I needed.

Juliet27 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:52:32

Mamaa...like your mum, I too constantly worry about what others would think...it does make life uncomfortable.

Juliet27 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:48:44

Gilly...your comment “Your mother isn’t happy unless she has something to worry about” reminded me that my mother used to say that about me. I do remember a friend laughing at me when I told her one day that I was really worried that I had nothing too worry about!

GillT57 Mon 11-Mar-19 18:20:16

I am a career worried. If I wake up in the early hours my heart sinks because I know I will run things over and over in my mind. My grandmother was the same,if there was nothing to worry about she would be convinced the family were keeping something from her.

Phoebes Mon 11-Mar-19 18:18:22

St. Matthew Chapter 6: Consider the lilies. (The Sermon on the Mount).

Gonegirl Mon 11-Mar-19 17:51:55

That is so lovely. Thank you. smile

mamaa Mon 11-Mar-19 17:44:09

managed ^^ not manged!

mamaa Mon 11-Mar-19 17:43:21

My Mum 88, now sadly struggling with Alzheimers, was always a worrier. My family remarked that she'd even start to worry if ever she had nothing to worry about. She was always concerned about what others would think and would worry about the smallest 'what-ifs'.
My MIL also 88, still hail and hearty and sharp as a pin had the attitude that worrying didn't make things any better so there was no point in it.
Ive tried to be more like MIL and manged it quite well but as the years have gone by and now with grandchildren etc I have started to worry more and the what-if's are creeping in. Note to self: be more like MIL in future as shes right, worrying only clouds the issues- thanks for the reminder
grannyqueenie