Gransnet forums

Chat

This made me think today

(60 Posts)
grannyqueenie Sun 10-Mar-19 23:01:34

We’ve all got our own worries, whether it’s concerns about the family, health issues or financial constraints. It’s only natural to think about these things and sometimes lose a bit of sleep in the process. Reading this today just reminded me of the importance of not missing the good things of today by wortying about what may, or equally may not, happen tomorrow. Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m very aware that many folk are dealing with with huge issues and I wouldn’t want to minimise that in any way. A reminder to myself as much as anyone else!

MissAdventure Sun 10-Mar-19 23:06:28

That's lovely. smile

KatyK Sun 10-Mar-19 23:07:49

Yes. Lovely. I must take note.

gillybob Sun 10-Mar-19 23:13:12

Thank you for that grannyqueenie I need to print it out and put it above my desk in “that place” , in my handbag, my bedside cabinet drawer, under my pillow, in the car and everywhere else where my worries overtake me . smile

BradfordLass72 Mon 11-Mar-19 00:21:24

I'm a worrier from way back and was once advised to make a list of what worried me and then come back, maybe a year later, to see if any of it eventuated.

Some did, some didn't but I understood that none of it changed or improved through my worrying.

Didn't stop me though, I'm still a worrier but it doesn't rule my life or stop me taking action when I can.

My son says 'Worrying is only caring by another name'.

annep1 Mon 11-Mar-19 03:03:35

Thanks for that Grannyqueenie I too have worried needlessly all my life. Worry achieves nothing good. I shall print this off.

kittylester Mon 11-Mar-19 07:37:41

Thank you gq. I don't think that it's really saying 'don't worry' but seeing the small things can ease the worries a little.

I agree with your son bradfordlass.

megan123 Mon 11-Mar-19 08:01:20

Good to read gq. If I wake in the night, which I frequently do, I worry about all sorts of things, that in the light of day seem quite ridiculous.

Harris27 Mon 11-Mar-19 08:08:14

Ive always been a worrier and my dad used to say "putyour head on the pillow and sleep forget today's worries". He was a great sleeper and hard worker as I think about him now as I lie awake he would be repeating that to me!

BlueSapphire Mon 11-Mar-19 08:18:40

Very wise words.

Carolina55 Mon 11-Mar-19 08:29:02

Interesting reading all the different ways of managing ‘worrying’!

After a lifetime of trial and error, I find that if I allow myself say half an hour of full-on worrying, the whole worst case scenario thing along with possible solutions/reactions etc., I can then put it to rest and get on with life, if only for a while.

Of course, the true response is the ‘ Change the things that you can, accept those you can’t and be wise enough to know the difference’ poem - a work in progress for me!

Grannybags Mon 11-Mar-19 10:05:03

I think it was Mark Twain that said 'I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened'

Anniebach Mon 11-Mar-19 10:11:40

‘Change the things you can’ is the Serenty Prayer and is part of Alchol Anonymous 12 steps

grannyqueenie Mon 11-Mar-19 10:14:20

I use that strategy too, Carolina, it can be surprisingly effective!

Brigidsdaughter Mon 11-Mar-19 11:22:30

Lovely.
I also like the lines from Desiderata.
It's getting a perspective in any way we can. Or at least try..

Kim19 Mon 11-Mar-19 11:33:35

I try to keep myself busy as that seems to put 'worry' well on to the back burner for me.o

grandmaz Mon 11-Mar-19 11:41:47

Thank you grannyqueenie, I needed to read this today. I got up and took the dog out for a walk ...I didn't sing, but there's always tomorrow! x

mummsymags Mon 11-Mar-19 11:56:44

My grandmother used to say 'Make up your mind - you can be a Worrier or a Warrior' I guess the message was you can either worry about something or do something about it. A bit misleading as I think we have more than two options but I'm sure she meant simply to galvanise us into doing something about a problem rather than just worry about it.

Luckylegs Mon 11-Mar-19 12:05:44

I so need to memorise this and repeat it daily! I am an inveterate worrier, “not happy until I find something to worry about” type. I like the saying ‘worrying is only caring by another name’*BradfordLass*.

Funnily enough, I AM going to singing this afternoon!

GabriellaG54 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:14:44

I don't worry. If something isn't right, goes wrong or needs sorting out then I do my best to fix it. If it's not do-able then I certainly don't worry. Worry is a useless stressor and companion and I keep all that kind of stuff firmly out of my life.

Willow10 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:25:36

I have a postcard on my fridge which says -
'Worry is like a rocking horse. It keeps you busy but gets you nowhere!'

Mairead Mon 11-Mar-19 12:31:48

Thanks for those wisewords - I needed them today as I am stranded in my living room because of having my main bedroom decorated etc. The whole flat is a mess and I can’t find anything!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 11-Mar-19 13:02:20

All these wise words are so true, aren't they? I'm a life-long worrier but feel that as I've got older I've gained a bit more perspective on life which is helpful.
Her'e something I read recently - Forget the mistake, learn the lesson - which is apt.

Gilly1952 Mon 11-Mar-19 13:02:42

My Dad used to say to me “Your Mother isn’t happy unless she has something to worry about!” She was a lovely, caring person but did used to worry such a lot! I, too, am a worrier but as so many people have said, although you can’t help it, worrying about problems doesn’t help. Four in the morning is an awful time when anything I may be concerned about seems much worse. We can’t help the way we are made - I’m too old to change now - and don’t particularly want to - it’s part of my caring nature!

Oldandverygrey Mon 11-Mar-19 13:05:24

My GP once said to me "you can worry a little or you can worry a lot the outcome will always be the same".