Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange baby names

(255 Posts)
Grammaretto Tue 19-Mar-19 15:40:51

I've just read the list of names chosen last year in Scotland. There's a Lucifer and a Corbyn.
Why would anyone inflict such a heavy burden on a baby?
I have no objection to unusual names or old fashioned ones and I appreciate you don't want the child to be one of 4 or 5 in the class with the same name - as I was, but really awful to name your child after the devil. Perhaps Corbyn's sister is May.

Anniebach Sun 24-Mar-19 13:30:40

I was thrilled when my elder daughter and son in law asked me if I would like to choose the name for their third baby,
I chose the name of a Welsh heroine. When she was about 5 she looked st me with a very accusing look ‘ grannie, why did you name me after a duck ?’ She was very pleased when I explained she wasn’t named after a duck but a very brave woman .

jenpax Sun 24-Mar-19 12:30:47

Day6 my youngest is called Tisiphone (from Greek mythology as well) and she too suffers from people calling her Tisi phone instead of Tisifanie! (As pronounced) However she loves her unusual name and is proud to have a conversation starter at parties. It usually starts interesting conversations with Greek scholars??‍♀️

Squiffy Sun 24-Mar-19 12:26:10

Just heard this on tv, Heidi pronounced Haydi. Never heard that before! Perhaps that’s the correct pronunciation?

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 21:05:43

Precious
Precious Ramotswe from Botswana comes to mind!

I do know a couple of Bonnies - one was not really very bonny, although she very nice.

SueDonim Sat 23-Mar-19 20:23:30

We were in Ikoyi, Pamela although when my dh went back after retirement he was on Lekki.

When were you there? Dh started there in 2005 and we singularly and together were there until 2013. I still miss it!

paddyann Sat 23-Mar-19 19:24:37

A friend told her mum if baby was a girl they would call her Bonnie,mum asked what will you do if she's not? They changed their minds and called her Sarah .

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Mar-19 19:23:56

Sorry it wasn’t sunshine, it was Summer. Not so hard to live up to.
Sue- we lived in Ikega near Lagos.

SueDonim Sat 23-Mar-19 19:18:26

Yes, we had staff in Nigeria called names like Blessing, Precious, Glory and Victory as well as days of the week.

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Mar-19 19:15:22

In Nigeria children were often named for the day of the week they were born on.
An earlier poster has a DGD called Sunshine. I only hope, for the child’s sake, that she is small, blond and cheerful.
I think it must be difficult to have a name that has to be lived up to.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 18:59:44

Robyn? Bobbie for short paddyann?

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 18:58:09

Thomasina
Perhaps they should have used the derivative Tamsin, Grammaretto!

There are quite a number of Williams Williams's and also David Davies's.

MamaCaz Sat 23-Mar-19 16:47:57

I think I might have mentioned this before, but will repeat it anyway - if we had named one of ours after the place of conception, he would have been called 'Fools Nook'!
Needless to say, we didn't.

SueDonim Sat 23-Mar-19 16:34:48

I know a William Williams in Scotland. He was a fifth boy and I suspect his parents had given up by then. grin

annodomini Sat 23-Mar-19 15:38:23

I had a student called Liberty, otherwise known as Libby.
In Africa, there were lots of girls called such names as Faith, Hope and Charity as well as numerous obscure Old Testament names.

Grammaretto Sat 23-Mar-19 15:35:54

Lovely news paddyann
I understand how big sister feels. Although we didn't know in advance, my sister and I badly wanted a baby sister but got a brother instead. Could never appreciate why DM was so thrilled to get a boy.

I knew of a Thomasina Andrewina and a few Georginas. In Scotland you get Senga too which is Agnes backwards. Agnes tended to be Nancy when I was young.

annsixty Sat 23-Mar-19 14:58:55

I once worked with a girl named Roberta.
Her older sister who I also knew was called Josephine, they were followed by Francesca, Michaela and finally when all hope of a boy was gone, Melanie.

paddyann Sat 23-Mar-19 14:51:45

we have a friend called Roberta ,known as Bobby but we'll stop tormenting wee madam now and let her find names she'll like to add to the list .She's relieved its a girl though as apparently boys fart all the time and she's got to share a room with it for now so a non smelly weeone would be more welcome.Little does she know how badly nappies can pong .

SueDonim Sat 23-Mar-19 14:47:42

Roberta, Paddyann!

MissAdventure Sat 23-Mar-19 14:42:19

Bobette? smile

paddyann Sat 23-Mar-19 14:26:52

My son and his partner have just come from their scan,they're having a girl ....at least thats BOB ruled out..a huge relief from big sister to be .

SueDonim Sat 23-Mar-19 13:38:18

Luckygirl my mind is boggling at the thought of a child being conceived in a hawthorn bush! That must have been a bit painful. grin

I'm reminded of a woman my mum knew when we were young. This lady had her babies very easily and gave birth to her fifth child en route to hospital, in a pub car park. To commemorate the auspicious occasion the poor child was named Tia Maria, her mother's favourite tipple!

Grandma70s Sat 23-Mar-19 10:19:50

BradfordLass72, I think lamb is Agnus, not Agnes, as in Agnus Dei, Lamb of God. I expect the words are related, meaning ‘pure, innocent’. (‘Purity’ was very much valued in women. Not so important for men!)”

Miep1 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:16:42

When my eldest daughter was young, she (and I) knew a family where the children were called Freedom (b), Truth (b) and Promise (g). I can just about stomach the first one, but have always imagined what would happen if Truth turned out to be an inveterate liar and Promise...well , use your imagination!

tanith Sat 23-Mar-19 09:49:54

I went to school with a girl called Barbara Watts-Liquorice you only imagine the ribbing the poor girl got.

One of my GD is called Tegan I think there is a journalist with same name.

BradfordLass72 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:42:46

Doesn't Agnes mean 'lamb' ?