Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange baby names

(254 Posts)
Baggs Tue 19-Mar-19 17:23:35

The child named Lucifer can be Luci if he becomes gender fluid, as is all the rage at the moment ?

Besides, the Christian interpretation is only one; other meanings are really quite nice:
Old English, from Latin, ‘light-bringing, morning star’, from lux, luc- ‘light’ + -fer ‘bearing’. Lucifer (sense 1) is by association with the ‘son of the morning’ (Isa. 14:12), believed by Christian interpreters to be a reference to Satan.

paddyann Tue 19-Mar-19 16:41:33

My granchildren have traditional names ,all except one who says she's the only person in the world with her name .She isn't, its scandinavian in origin but she's the only one in her school or in the area as far as I'm aware.She sees her unusual name as a problem because as soon as its mentioned everyone knows its her.You'll never keep people happy .I have no problem with what the expected baby is called whatever it is someone will complain .Probably its big sister ..lol

Grandma70s Tue 19-Mar-19 16:34:02

We gave my elder son a name that was solidly traditional, but had completely fallen out of favour in 1971. Now, much to my fury, it’s one of the most popular boys’ names. Something similar is happening with my grandson. We lead the fashion, it seems!

It’s a great responsibility naming a child. It labels them socially and in many other ways. I think British names are very influenced by America at the moment - perhaps they always were.

Grammaretto Tue 19-Mar-19 15:40:51

I've just read the list of names chosen last year in Scotland. There's a Lucifer and a Corbyn.
Why would anyone inflict such a heavy burden on a baby?
I have no objection to unusual names or old fashioned ones and I appreciate you don't want the child to be one of 4 or 5 in the class with the same name - as I was, but really awful to name your child after the devil. Perhaps Corbyn's sister is May.