Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange baby names

(255 Posts)
Grammaretto Tue 19-Mar-19 15:40:51

I've just read the list of names chosen last year in Scotland. There's a Lucifer and a Corbyn.
Why would anyone inflict such a heavy burden on a baby?
I have no objection to unusual names or old fashioned ones and I appreciate you don't want the child to be one of 4 or 5 in the class with the same name - as I was, but really awful to name your child after the devil. Perhaps Corbyn's sister is May.

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Mar-19 18:59:02

David Bowie's son was registered as Duncan Zowie Jones. He was only known as Zowie until he was old enough to object. grin

I do love the old fashioned names. My DGS3 has the sort of name that makes everyone look round for the very old man with the cloth cap and whippet when it's called out at the doctor's. It really suits him. His best friend at Nursery is Arnold.

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Mar-19 18:59:37

Cross posted, phoenix.

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Mar-19 19:00:30

One of my DGSs was going to be Ada, if it had gone the other way. I love it!

trisher Tue 19-Mar-19 19:23:56

When I was teaching it was the unusual spellings and the hyphenated names that always got to me. Kylee-Marie, or Kayleigh-Anne, or Tracie-Louise

absent Tue 19-Mar-19 19:25:28

Corbyn is quite a common name here in New Zealand and I doubt it has any connection to a British MP.

Maybelle Tue 19-Mar-19 19:36:10

There was a boy at my DDs school called Thor . . .

Kittye Tue 19-Mar-19 19:47:34

Grandma70s I think Edith is a lovely name. Not keen on Elsie though..apologies to any Elsies !

BlueBelle Tue 19-Mar-19 19:50:30

I personally don’t like little cherub like babies being lumbered with old men names I don’t like old lady names either I think each generation should stick to their own I mean an Edith and Albert just don’t go with little kids in my head no disrespect to anyone with grandkids with those names because children invariable fit their names after you get used to them but I m pleased all my grandkids have fairly modern names (not the Chardonnays and Porches thankfully)

Grandma70s Tue 19-Mar-19 20:02:53

The problem is that (with luck) sweet little cherubs turn into old men and women eventually! The name has to be suitable for both. What is sweet at three or four may be very unsuitable at sixty.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Mar-19 20:07:05

Celery

Was it Eleri?
I do know a Persephone
And at least one Angharad
and our Hermione has been called Hermy One

I do know a couple of Camerons

Kittyeye I remember my friend at school telling me that her mother's name was Elise and I thought that was lovely - then she confessed that it was actually Elsie but she disliked that, it made her feel old and Elise was more like a film star.

lemongrove Tue 19-Mar-19 20:30:06

Names seem to be a funny mixture of bizarre, exotic and old fashioned mundane now.
Someone I know has DGC called Dottie and Galahad.

Lostgirl Tue 19-Mar-19 20:39:59

My new GD is called Ivy I wasn't sure at first but it suits her.
My GS are also Archie, Edward, Stanley. Wasn't sure about Stanley either but he is a little Stan

Greyduster Tue 19-Mar-19 21:04:31

My neighbour’s baby is called Franklin and we are assured it will not be shortened! GS has a class mate called Lysander, which I think is rather splendid.

Coolgran65 Tue 19-Mar-19 21:18:03

Regarding Edith, my dgd is called Edee. I love it.

grannyactivist Tue 19-Mar-19 21:27:29

My youngest granddaughter has been given the two middle names of her great grandmothers; one is a classic, but rarely used nowadays except as a middle name and the other is very dated and old fashioned, but gaining in popularity. I am really touched that my son and his wife both wanted to honour their grandmothers in this way. smile

GrandmainOz Tue 19-Mar-19 21:32:16

My son and DIL named my littlest GC after their own maternal grandfathers. Both traditional names. I thought it was lovely

SueDonim Tue 19-Mar-19 21:36:44

A friend's new GS is called Leoniades.

Urmstongran Tue 19-Mar-19 21:37:22

My friend has just become a grandma for the first time. To Wilf.
Hmm.

These parents who choose ‘alternative ‘ spellings - how would they like it? Imagine going through life saying ‘no, it’s Jaxon’.

That said, I really feel for anyone called Lindsay out there.
Or Lindsey.
Or Lyndsi.
Or is it Linzi?
Or maybe Linsey.
Or Linsay.
?

MiniMoon Tue 19-Mar-19 21:59:45

My niece named her youngest son Ted, just that, not short for Edward. I'm the last school my DVD attended there was a child called Echo, I never knew whether it was a girl or a boy.

MiniMoon Tue 19-Mar-19 22:00:37

Granddaughter. Why does kindle change DGD.

kathsue Tue 19-Mar-19 22:15:55

There was a "wanted" young man on Crimewatch. First name Konna confused

jusnoneed Tue 19-Mar-19 22:21:39

Our nephews youngest boys are Teddy and Reggie.

My cousin who is a home sick Brit married to an American and living in Michigan has a three year old son they named London. Daughter is Lillibeth.

SueDonim Tue 19-Mar-19 22:42:34

Urmstongran another friend's GS is called Wulfric. I find it really hard to pronounce, I struggle to get my tongue round it.

There's also a Phoenix and a Zion amongst my acquaintances' GC.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Mar-19 22:55:47

Lindsey.

Definitely Lindsey, Urmstongran!!

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Mar-19 22:56:10

ps for a girl, although I did know a Lindsay (male)