Gransnet forums

Chat

things you did not appreciation when you were younger.

(52 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 25-Mar-19 08:39:35

This thought came into my head when i woke this morning and was gingerly getting out of bed as my back and legs are so stiff first thing. I didnt appreciate being able to jump out of bed in a flash.I never appreciated my youthful beauty always wishing i was better looking, slimmer, and not realising that the wrinkles and drier skin would impact on me so much. I always remember once being told i was volumptous and laughing but looking back at old photos i can now see i was. If only if only.........

Kandinsky Mon 25-Mar-19 08:45:54

Youth is wasted on the young. smile

littleflo Mon 25-Mar-19 08:49:04

Mine is a bit of odd one. When I was at junior school, I could not see the point of trees. As I passed those planted in the pavement I wondered what use they were.

Now I love trees, especially this time of year when our local streets are planted with blossoming cherry trees. Our council were lucky enough to have had a grant from the Trees For Cities Charity and have planted 15000 in our local park. I dare say my younger self would have wanted something much different. I walk the dog through the area every day, watching how the saplings are getting on and it makes my heart sing.

silverlining48 Mon 25-Mar-19 09:00:19

I clambered cautiously onto my gc trampoline expecting to have a gentle bounce but quietly hoping i might be so good at it that i woukd be bouncing high after a few minutes of practice. To my surprise I could not jump, even a little bit. Frozen to the wobbling mid spot.
I exited carefully with the aid of my 6 year old gc. Never again to repeat. My world is shrinking.....

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 25-Mar-19 09:06:24

We don't appreciate our health and youth while we've got them, do we? We think that life will go on like that forever. I thought that I was ugly and unlovable but of course I wasn't - just lacking massively in self-confidence. Life is so much better now, thank goodness despite some of the things which have happened to me, most of the time it's good to be alive.

DoraMarr Mon 25-Mar-19 09:08:21

I love “volumptuos”! I was never that- always skinny. Recently I found some old photos of me when I was around 27. Long, long, legs, tiny waist, nice bottom, and all I can remember is obsessing about my flat chest.

annsixty Mon 25-Mar-19 09:08:29

Getting in and out of the bath.
I was away for a few days in December with my GD and decided to treat my self to a bath instead of a hasty shower.
Suffice it to say, it was a good job I hadn't locked the door ,as she had to come in and haul me out.

Teetime Mon 25-Mar-19 09:08:35

I do agree!

shysal Mon 25-Mar-19 09:11:33

silverlining48, be thankful that you didn't jump high as trampolines are a big strain on the pelvic floor muscles!
When I was young I didn't appreciate tasty foods. I hated my fathers favourites like clotted cream, game and dripping. Not that I eat them often nowadays but am salivating at the thought!
As a teenager the fashion was for long straight hair parted in the middle, but my very thick wavy hair was untameable in the absence of electric straighteners. Happy with the waves now!

KatyK Mon 25-Mar-19 09:54:43

Lots of things. My hair. I hated it - thin and stringy. Now it has all gone, I wish I had that stringy floppy hair.

Willynilly Mon 25-Mar-19 09:57:17

Speaking to my parents on the 'phone. Dad has died and mum has dementia. Oh for a chat with them!

NanKate Mon 25-Mar-19 10:00:38

Willynilly I really understand your sadness. ?

Not having to get up 2 or 3 times in the night to go to the loo.

KatyK Mon 25-Mar-19 10:03:05

I said to DH last night 'Remember when we didn't talk about ailments, blood pressure and cholesterol?'

Carolina55 Mon 25-Mar-19 10:07:24

I found an old photograph of my teenage daughter and I on the beach in bikinis and although she was the head turner, I don’t remember looking as ‘volumptuous’ as I did that day.

Also how few of the things I worried about actually mattered, how I took so much for granted and the things I didn’t say and do rather than the the ones I did.

Shinyredcar Mon 25-Mar-19 10:13:14

I never used to understand why adults wanted me to look at a view. I couldn't see the point of looking at countryside or the sea. When I was older, I thought maybe it was because I literally couldn't see it, as I needed glasses, which I have worn ever since. Then DD arrived and she was impatient when we stopped to look at a view. I decided it was something which just didn't appeal to children. Then we discovered that she needed glasses - oops!

So is it an age thing or do you just need to be able to see properly?

Willynilly Mon 25-Mar-19 10:29:25

Thank you NanKate

dragonfly46 Mon 25-Mar-19 10:33:11

Willynilly I feel for you as I am in exactly the same position. There are so many questions I should have asked but now my mum doesn't even know me.

FlexibleFriend Mon 25-Mar-19 10:58:37

My knees.

nipsmum Mon 25-Mar-19 11:02:04

I am less than 5 feet tall now and I only ever wanted to be a few inches taller. I was always size 10 until I reached the menopause and now size 12 bottom and size 14 top. 7 stones when I got married in 1966 9 stones now. I have straight fine hair and wanted it to be curly. Spent 100's of £ 's over the years on perms and now have it cut short and spiky and so easy to manage. I wish I had had the courage to get it cut before I was 70

Orelse Mon 25-Mar-19 11:05:41

So make the most of NOW, and appreciate how lovely you are ... aches pains et al, otherwise in 20 years time you will be looking back at now and saying if only .........
Love yourself now !

I know what you mean though .. my nickname in school (aged13-16) was " tubs". when I look back I was a size 12/14 , 5ft 6 with an hour glass figure and long natural blonde hair!! But of course it was twiggy who was in fashion !

gillybob Mon 25-Mar-19 11:14:18

I never really appreciated being "dragged" along to concerts with my country music mad, dad. I love country music myself now, so realise how very lucky I was to see some of the greats such as Johnny Cash, June Carter, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson etc. (I appreciate that these names probably mean nothing to most of you) smile

Theoddbird Mon 25-Mar-19 11:22:45

We are who we are because of what we have gone through in our lives. Every second we have lived makes us who we are today. I have lived and learnt...am still learning. We meet who we are supposed to meet and we see what we are supposed to see. It does not always make sense until we are older as a mind has to mature... Sorry...mind wandering...I am at work...surrounded by boxes of clothes I have to unpack and get to floor of store and am thinking where I should be...sitting on the riverbank by my boat sewing and taking in the view and talking to the swans, ducks and geese who visit me. Would I have appreciated the simplicity of life when I was young...I doubt it...hahaha

Willow500 Mon 25-Mar-19 11:23:04

I didn't appreciate being 7 stone when I got married or never thinking twice about what I ate up until my 40's. Also my sense of smell and taste until I lost it 8 years ago.

Rufus2 Mon 25-Mar-19 11:25:54

We don't appreciate our health and youth while we've got them
Brings to mind those tragic lyrics;
"You don't know what you've got until it's gone" sad

dragonfly46 Mon 25-Mar-19 11:33:55

Very envious Gillybob.